What's new

Knocked Up - discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Speaking as someone married to a woman that is seven months pregnant, that fight hit too close to home. It was 100% realistic. And no my marriage wouldn't (and hasn't) ended over a fight of that magnitude.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's what I love about this movie. Even though Ben is a loser and Alison is on the fast track, neither viewpoint is shortchanged. I could see where Ben was coming from every step of the way. I could see where Alison was coming from every step of the way. I agreed with Pete more than Debbie, but I suspect I wouldn't if I was the mother of two fairly young children. The intellect of every main character is never shortchanged for cheap drama or an easy laugh.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think the fact that we never saw any "make up" that's what hurt.

Look, there are certain boundaries I've never crossed with anyone - and I would expect them not to cross with me. And the point where you completely disrespect someone in the way that happened there.. let's just say, maybe it's a situation you recover from, but it's one of those that for a -married couple- would be a long road of forgiveness.

In this situation, you've got two people who half-way know each other and there is already built in distrust because of the situation.

Hey, I work with medical practices, I've seen fights, and been part to a few. But their is kind of this magical boundary.

Look, if my wife & I had that kind of fight now, it'd be one thing.. we've been together more then a decade, worse things have happened ;) But if you're a couple who had a one night stand and then you go to that level.. there is no inbuilt commitment AT ALL to the relationship.

It's super easy for her to walk away and just say 'he's a jerk" and I'm saying, in the real world, in an unwed relationship with NO track record, someone she already felt was lying to her with the books, etc. had no income etc. then that kind of fight would be a serious deal breaker.

You guys are making the comparison that hey, worse things happen.. true, to couples that have significant track record, a love story behind them, a reason the two of them are together.. they fell in love at some point.

I just found that over the top because here you have a relationship with no track record that is trying to build something. I'm sorry, but that would END that relationship, because there wasn't any overt "make up" made during the movie. That's a problem.

If when my wife & I were dating, before we were married, and before we had kids, if we were in that situation (unexpected kid) and I did that, hell yes, she'd drop me like a bad habit, and I would have every expectation she would.

Now, if tomorrow she said she's pregnant with a third kid and I reacted very badly, then it would be a different story. We have history to fall back on. Forgiveness is easier.

That's the problem I had. The situation didn't give me any reason to believe that forgiveness could happen.. and it didn't show me any reason why it SHOULD happen.

That's it. :) Just my opinion.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
One thing I really liked was that Allison's preganancy was a non-issue for her job. When she got the on-air job early in the movie I kind of cringed expecting a third act firing where she is distraught and takes it out on Ben.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I get you Chris, most definitely :)

I'm just saying, I find the argument less "over-the-top" behavioral wise, than STRANDING the father of your child IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, in an intersection, even AFTER he does what you say and then asks nicely, calmly, to be let back in the car. You don't seem to have a problem with the initial kicking out and stranding, but a problem with the argument. For me, the argument seems to be the logical next step after the abandonment of the father.

But Adam nails it: This movie never shortchanges a THING emotionally and character-wise. I'm hard pressed to think of a romantic comedy in the last 10 years that's done that. Maybe "Eternal Sunshine."

Chris

Senior HTF Member
See, that's where I figured he would just go home instead of walking to the OBGYN office.

It's a combination of things that seemed implausible to me. That's all.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Damn, this movie has got me thinking way too much about it since we saw it last weekend. Because of the screaming children at our last showing, we were given free passes to any movie we want to see. I think we may go back and see this again.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I agree with Chris 100% on the OBGYN appt scene. When he tells her to go buy some pink shit, my wife gasped. Literally. That whole scene made me really uncomfortable.

Those of you who didn't think the scene was on the verge of out of line, are you married and/or have kids? I think it would put more perspective on your feelings for the scene.

Like Chris, I'm married, with two kids. I haven't seen a movie so "real" in a long time. Moving past the comedy, the story, dialogue, and feel of the movie really worked. When the husband/wife are arguing at the Fantasy Draft, the characters said every single thing that I thought, and every single thing that my wife thought. Between needing time to myself after working all day, to not always understanding that my wife needs time too -- but not single time, rather that she wants more time that I want to spend with her. The whole movie was all very real, and I really liked it.

As a father of two girls, I'm heading to iTunes to download "My Daughter", the end song. My eyes get teared up thinking about the song... but the pollen count is high today. ;)

Doug

Chris

Senior HTF Member

The scene with the fantasy draft was -too real-. I was glad I had taken my wife to see it, because to be honest, if I had seen it on my own that would have been REALLY hard to take because that's a fight EVERY married couple goes through.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Don't go blaming the pollen count ya big ole' pussy :) my wife and I got choked up during the whole ending and definitely during that song.

This was simply the best comedy I've ever seen for many of the reasons already stated. I cannot praise Judd highly enough for his unique ability to blend such unbeleivable raunch with the sweet in believable situations.

I disagree with those who feel the OBGYN scene was a deal-breaker. And yes I am married and yes we are expecting our 1st child. But as Robert said - she did leave him in the middle of an intersection after he got out and then calmly asked to come back in. People seem to forget that yes - it began as a 1 night stand, but she really grew to love him over the course of the remaining 7 months of the pregnancy. She did have a great deal invested in him, regardless of the fact he had no money and they weren't married. And I can tell you this - my best friend and his wife are the most polite, kindest people on this planet, but the words that came out of the wife's mouth when in labor would put Andrew Dice Clay to shame! Now they just laugh about it. That's a mature relationship. You communicate. As immature as Seth was during the whole film - the fact that he realizes she's acting crazy because of hormones and can verbalize it to her in the heat of battle shows a communication level that proves this relationship will last well beyond the FADE OUT.

The only problem for me was the lack of any real make up - but then again, sometimes people just realize they made a mistake and words don't have to be spoken. In this case, both sides made mistakes, not just Seth.

Cheers,

Jason

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Was I the only one really touched by the photos of the cast and crew's babies over the end credits? One of the few credits sequences that I've sat through and — fugly babies and pretty ones — each one hammered home both how unique the film was and how wonderful and miraculous procreation is, even when the children cry all night and constantly scream that they have the most interesting thing in the world to show you RIGHT now.:)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Adam, you're not the only one. I loved that end credit sequence and thought it once again showed how sweet Judd can be in the face of his overwhelming raunchiness. Wonderful touch. I love when everything ties together with the theme.

But then again maybe it's just because we're a pair of pussies from Albany! I haven't lived there in over 12 years - you'd think my vaginal secretions would have dried up by now. Oh Well! :)

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
DEAR LORD. Just heard that Dr. Kuni rant. And I thought I was raunchy. WOW. Loved seeing the nurse in the background cracking up.

Cheers,

Jason

MikeRS

Screenwriter
The script on this thing shall be studied for years to come. So layered and dense. Just take the Las Vegas set-piece for example - how interesting and unexpected the progression was there....

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Chris - Yep - that one had me rolling. Thanks!

"And it was just the head, I promise." :)

Cheers,

Jason

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night and enjoyed it, though it's definitely a "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" movie. LOTS and LOTS of problems with it, and it's way too damned long, but it still ends up as enjoyable, funny and endearing.

What was up with all the Spider-Man 3 references???

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and is it just me, or did the story seem to borrow heavily from a couple of Simpsons episodes where Marge got pregnant?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Possibly, but I'm not sure that there's any direct borrowing from one paticular source. Let's face it, the story of a slacker, or not in his mind ready for the responsibility guy accidently getting a woman pregnant has been done before. The film was pretty much a carbon copy of "Nine Months" albiet a little raunchier. And I'm sure "Nine Months" was pretty much ripped off from "She's Having a Baby" or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks