What's new

Kinowelt Laurel and Hardy DVDs. Any good ? (1 Viewer)

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I was wondering if anyone has experience of the German Laurel and Hardy DVDs released by Kinowelt. I'm going to Germany next month and as a big fan of the Boys I was planning to buy some of these. I learnt about them from a Dutch Laurel and Hardy website. The original English soundtracks are on them and I believe you can turn the subtitles off. What about the silents ? Do these have the original titles ? What about the quality ? : they seem reasonably good according to the Dutch website.

Classic Films On DVD

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Over the last two years I've purchased over 15 of the Kinowelt Laurel & Hardy DVDs. The quality of the DVDs is excellent although some of the content on some of the DVDs is rather short--(under 2 hours running time.) Still if you're a Laurel & Hardy fan, you won't find better transfers of these short films.

(If there's one in particular that you'd like info on, let me know.)

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you Page. These are the three I am considering purchasing :

Brats, Helpmates, Early to Bed
Come Clean, Blotto, Chickens Come Home
Hog Wild, The Hoosegow, Angora Love, Two Tars, Movie Night (Charlie Chase)

This includes a few silents : I take it these have the original English title cards with possibly removable German subtitles.

I've already got all the discs available in the UK : i.e. Way Out West, Sons of the Desert, The Music Box and Laughing Gravy.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Where would be the best online place to purchase these titles? I'm searching my UK sites and DVDzone2, and am not really finding the Kinowelt titles...

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I got my Laurel and Hardy 10-disc box set from Amazon.DE. Took a while to get them - they always seem to be in short supply. Cost, with shipping, was a bit over $100 USA bucks.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I actually got much more Stan and Ollie than I thought because the prices in Germany were excellent : all the features were just 9.99 Euros ! The DVDs are generally excellent although a few of the prints of the silents are a bit substandard still its great to now have so many Laurel and Hardy classics in my DVD collection.

Also got German DVDs of Bringing Up Baby and To Be Or Not To Be (classic Lubitsch version)which are slightly spoiled by remade titles but otherwise fine. You just never know when these titles will ever if ever be released. Bringing Up Baby seems to have been forgotten by Warners entirely if the recent studio chat is a good indication.

James Alexis

Agent
I've bought a couple of L & H discs from Germany via the Amazon site and think they are excellent quality - including the extras which included the whole of Big Business (the christmas tree one!

Only problem is they are very expensive.

Hopefully they will appear on Region 1 or Region 2 sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.