What's new

Kino's _The General_ (1 Viewer)

BrianSiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Siano
DVD Beaver's got some screencaptures of the upcoming Blu-Ray... and my GAHD, it looks fabulous. Kino must have done a fresh hi-def scan for the Blu-Ray.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/thegeneral.htm

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li
No, actually the HD mastered was created last year for the Ultimate Edition DVD of The General by Kino. That DVD was already the best version for DVD and has been available around for a year. I wonder why so many people don't even know about it. Now this Blu-ray is using the same HD master but in 1080p so the winner is almost a predictably secured one.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Blimey, have you seen the French DVD - there is no contest between it and the Kino - it wins in every department. I'm buying the Kino, but am praying the MK2 comes to Blu-Ray with the fabulous Joe Hisaishi score. So, have you seen the French DVD, and if not, how can you make a statement that the Kino was already the best version? Just curious.

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li
Of course I saw the MK2 version (I owned it actually), and I'm aware that it involved digital clean-up which the Kino DVD/BD lack. But the MK2 version is unbearable for me because it doesn't have the tint, which I think is a crucial part of the film presentation and it's like a TF2 disc without audio track to me.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hmm... I feel like I'm seeing edge enhancement on the new blu-ray. Not sure I like it.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Different strokes, I suppose. Seeing it without the tint was a revelation for me and much more pleasing. As was the image in general.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"Different strokes, I suppose. Seeing it without the tint was a revelation for me and much more pleasing. As was the image in general. "

I preffer it without the tint too,but it just might be the way I set up my TV

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The wife's gonna roll her eyes when my order of the Blu-ray comes in (you bought another version of The General?!"). I have all the versions Beaver used for comparison, plus laserdisc versions. I already liked Kino's "ultimate" DVD version the best. It was not as digitally cleaned up as the French MK2 version (a few specks remain), but the print used was quite good, and it had the magnificent Carl Davis score. As I've said on other threads, I did not like the new score for the MK2 version. It was nice music, but IMO did not fit the film.

However, the MK2 version had some great extras, including 1965's The Railrodder and Buster Keaton Rides Again (a doc on making The Railrodder--actually more interesting than The Railrodder). The new Blu-ray apparently ports over the same lame extras from the Kino DVD, so the MK2 version is still a keeper for me for disc 2.

BrianSiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Siano
Are you sure? the DVD screen caps on the DVDBeaver site include the old Kino DVD. And even allowing for the difference in resolution, the Kino Blu-Ray seems to be a _severe_ leap in terms of grain, quality, and detail. It just doesn't look like the same transfer at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey

No, actually the HD mastered was created last year for the Ultimate Edition DVD of The General by Kino. That DVD was already the best version for DVD and has been available around for a year. I wonder why so many people don't even know about it. Now this Blu-ray is using the same HD master but in 1080p so the winner is almost a predictably secured one.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVD Beaver only has the original Kino DVD, not the 2-disc remaster.

I'm pleased to see Kino put so much care into The General. Hopefully this is a successful release and more silents can get the Blu treatment. Steamboat Bill Jr, Sherlock Jr, Seven Chances, and College seem to have terrific film elements available. Imagine having Intolerance and some Melies shorts in HD...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Re: future Kino releases.

The newly restored Metropolis is just now getting theatrical releases in South America (where the lost footage was discovered) and Europe. They'll be releasing the Blu-ray (and new DVD) at some point next year.

IMO, I could see them releasing the following silent classics they have US distribution rights to over the next couple years, pending worthy film elements:

Battleship Potemkin
The Birth of a Nation
The Black Pirate
Blind Husbands
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Foolish Wives
The Golem
Intolerance
It
The Last Laugh
The Navigator
Nosferatu
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
The Thief of Bagdad

They have rights to other Lang, Keaton, Murnau, Griffith, von Stroheim, etc., but they aren't as well known as the ones I listed.

They also have US rights to the following international films:

Come and See
Dersu Uzala
Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Brian W.

Hmm... I feel like I'm seeing edge enhancement on the new blu-ray. Not sure I like it.
I thought so initally, but then I enlarged the capture and I don't think so. I think what we're seeing are haloing caused by the optics rather than EE. Generally speaking, when you see EE, you can zoom in on it and see noise surrounding it. I'm not seeing that here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks