What's new

Kino to bring METROPOLIS to Blu-Ray in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
What would make this release sheer perfection would be if they finally released the film at 20 fps, rather than the "Keystone Cops" rapid-fire 24 fps the SD DVD is in...or, at the very least, offer both in the same package and let the viewer decide. In spite of Blu-ray's massive storage capacity, though, I'm not holding my breath...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

The frame rate is a matter of contention. The Murnau Foundation backs 24fps which is how it was reportedly shown at the premier. The restoration theatrical run in 2002 was at 20fps which feeds the fire of the controversy.

I'd support both versions on the disc but yeah don't hold your breath. Honestly the 24fps rate is fine with me if that's all we get.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Split the difference - 22fps. :P

Seriously though, this is very exciting news! Hopefully other Kino titles they've given the deluxe DVD treatment - Nosferatu, The Black Pirate, Queen Kelly, etc. - will follow shortly behind.

And maybe a remaster of the Keaton silents! (One can dream, can't they?)

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately Blu-ray doesn't support arbitrary framerates, I believe it's just 24p, 50i (25p via 2:2 pulldown) and 60i (30p via 2:2 pulldown). So the options are basically 24fps, 15fps (if you duplicate all frames in a 60i stream) or some type of frame interpolation/conversion which will results in ghosting and/or interlacing artifacts.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sold. This will really show off the quality of the 2K restoration. Hopefully they'll include the music score in PCM 5.1.

I think BluRay can handle different framerates. If 22fps can be used via 480i, I assume they can do 22fps at 1080i. 20fps would be too slow, but 22fps looks visually right from examples I've seen.

As for Keaton silents, the 1080p sourced remaster of The General on DVD from MK2 and Image (the one with the Alloy Orchestra score) looks almost like a new film. Sherlock Jr and Seven Chances seem to have excellent 35mm sources from how good Kino's releases look.

David Shepard had The Hunchback of Notre Dame '23 remastered in 1080p for the recent DVD, but it was sourced from 16mm prints since that's all that survives. Criterion has HD masters on hand for The King of Kings, Pandora's Box, and the Paul Robeson silents they released. MK2 remastered all of Chaplin's films (his estate-owned from after the Mutuals) in HD, plus 2K on Modern Times.

I'm hoping that people will give silents a chance on BluRay. Many have excellent image quality on the film elements used for restorations.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just picked up There Will Be Blood the other day and noticed it had a silent short film about oil from the early '20s in HD. I'll have to throw that in to see how it looks as I believe it's the first silent film in HD on BD.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I own a bootleg of the 20 fps version, as well as Kino's original, and can honestly say the 20 fps version is far, far preferable. I, too, will "take what I can get" (and if these observations about 20 fps material on Blu-ray hold to be true, I may have to) but an official presentation of the 20 fps version would be divine.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Bought!

Now where's Nosferatu; The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari; Der Golem; Douglas Fairbanks silents and Buster Keaton silents?
Harold Lloyd was released by a different company, right?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It'd be nice if it were remastered to get rid of the ghosting that plagues the R1 discs; last we heard, Kino didn't have access to the proper master used in R2, but maybe they can swing something for the BD version.

20 fps works much better as the theatrical run demonstrated---even then some action is undercranked, but appropriately so.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Actually wasn't the same 25fps PAL master used for the Kino edition, and the ghosting was due to the fact that instead of slowing it down to 24fps for NTSC it was frame interpolated?

As mentioned earlier, a 1080p edition running in 24 or 25fps should be perfectly doable, but if you want 20fps or something similar you're going to run into some problems.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Moroder version would have to be licenced from Moroder, or whoever the ultimate rights holder is on the version (it was released theatrically in North America by Cinecom, an indie that no longer exists).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The Moroder version was made when the film was in the public domain. Now that the original copyright has been reinstated, the Moroder version will probably only exist in bootleg form from now on. The only way around this would be if something could be worked out between the two parties, an unlikely scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks