1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Press Release: The David O. Selznick Collection (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I held off on the couple of these that I wanted, so I'm definitely looking forward to this set. Probably be cheap and wait for a sale though...

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Same here. I don't have any of the films in the set on Blu, so I'll wait to see the set reduced. I can make do with the versions of the films I have now until then.

4. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

The set is currently $50.08 at Deep Discount with their 25% off coupon. That is about $10 a film.
    http://www.deepdiscount.com/bluray/SELZNICK-COLLECTION-738329109028

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Just placed my order. Thanks so much for this information.

6. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

But only $43 at Importcds, plus you can use the coupon code save10 to get another 10% off:
    http://www.importcds.com/Movies/2497201/Selznick-Collection-The-Selznick-Collection-[5-Discs]-[Blu-Ray]-Blu-Ray
    I already have Bird of Paradise and Nothing Sacred. I love [edit: Max Steiner's] score on Bird of Paradise, so it's disappointing that the audio is so horribly distorted on the blu-ray.

7. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    Actually, it is Max Steiner's score, but still disappointing that the audio is distorted. I wrote Kino about this after the initial release, but heard nothing back.
    And LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY is fine coming from a print, but the Disney restoration is much superior, coming from original sources in both sound and audio. This was out on the MGM, but only for standard DVD.
    Also, NOTHING SACRED had a great restoration by Disney, but hasn't been on DVD or even cable stations to my knowledge. I was hoping it would be this version when TCM licensed the Selznicks from Disney, but I guess they figured they had the cheaper PD version and only shows that.

8. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Sorry, my mistake on the composer..thanks. The audio is maddening also because it's hard to understand some of the dialogue. What a shame.
    I didn't know Nothing Sacred was restored! The blu-ray isn't great at all.

9. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Minor correction, but the Little Lord Fauntleroy DVD was from Anchor Bay.

10. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I know this has been posted many times before, but it's worth re-linking because the article is fascinating (and also utterly disappointing because I'm not aware of this ten year old or so restoration ever seeing the commercial light of day) and it's always a good thing to show to people who have never seen it:

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dcp/news/first-person-restoring-film-digital-recombination/43980

While I tried (I really I really did) to like the Kino blu of NOTHING SACRED, I think it's just awful. STAR IS BORN looked like it was going to be more of the same so I never even bothered.

11. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

That is disappointing. It's strange to me that they went through the effort of restoring it, yet didn't release it on home video.