1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Press Release: Bird of Paradise (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

Kino Classics Releases the David O. Selznick Production of
    King Vidor's Bird of Paradise
    (1932) on Blu-ray and DVD
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Paradise-Classics-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B007HO38R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335559838&sr=8-1

For Immediate Release
    New York, NY - April 27, 2012 - Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of Bird of Paradise (1932), an exotic romance set in gorgeous Polynesia starring Dolores del Rio and Joel McCrea, and directed by acclaimed filmmaker King Vidor (The Big Parade, The Champ).
    This classic from Hollywood's Golden Age comes to Blu-ray and DVD on May 1st, with a SRP of $29.95 for the Blu-ray and $24.95 for the DVD. This authorized edition from the estate of David O. Selznick is mastered in HD from an original 35mm nitrate print, preserved by the the George Eastman House Motion Picture Department.

2. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Well-Known Member

Glen
    KINO's pricing continues to be ridiculous. Crtierion prices for something that is most likely single layer,doesn't even come from a negative and apparently has no extras?

3. ajabrams

ajabrams Well-Known Member

Alan Abrams
    I think the Kino BD's have been pretty fairly priced. Firstly, Criterion prices are usually $10 more than Kino's . Also you can easily find the Kino BD's well-discounted by Amazon and Kino's own site. BIRD OF PARADISE BD is currently available for $18.99 as a preorder from Amazon. I'll be very happy to get a nice print of this film at that price.

4. Professor Echo

Glen
    We can agree to disagree, Alan. I just picked up THE THIN RED LINE on BD from Criterion on sale at Amazon for $18.99 and suffice to say it is a much more appealing package than KINO's bare bones BIRD OF PARADISE. Public domain movies like this on Blu Ray, even with a decent transfer, but no extras, should not have an MSRP over $12.99. But KINO has always been overpriced as far as I'm concerned. I like a lot of their releases, but many are single layers and with hardly any extras for premium prices.

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Well-Known Member

Craig Beam
    You're comparing a Criterion title ON SALE to a Kino title at MSRP. Not really a fair comparison.

6. Professor Echo

Glen
    No I was comparing the Criterion sale price to the Kino pre-order price that you quoted. That's not the Kino MSRP.
    In any case, we disagree. So be it.