What's new

Kino Lorber Studio Classics - First Time on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I wouldn't be 100% sure of that Twilight Time Facebook nod yet until it gets a release date. They "confirmed" future releases offhand before only to drop them once it became apparent they can't get a good transfer or some other reason. And wasn't that The Lion in Winter Facebook nod given a year ago? Hopefully it does happen though.

As for hopefuls, I'm anticipating some love for the Robert Mitchum features. Sure, we got Night of the Hunter through Criterion, but what about Thunder Road? There are also several that never made it to DVD, the highlights being Bandito!, A Terrible Beauty, and Mister Moses.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Brandon Conway said:
If I were to pick my "Most Wanted on Blu" of the MGM classic Hollywood film holdings, they would be:

Cops and Robbers (1973) - A more obscure little gem that has a really old open matte DVD
Also a big favorite of mine. The existing DVD is not only open matte, but also sourced from a television version of the film, i.e. shorter than the theatrical cut.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Another favorite among HTF'ers (myself included) from what I gather in other threads is The Grey Fox (1982). I believe it's with MGM. That would make a wonderful Blu-ray release.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Brandon Conway said:
They distribute through Warner in the US. HBO makes all decisions about what they want to release of their holdings, though.
Sigh.

I reckon it's a safe guess Tom Jones is not high on their priority list. Which is a shame cuz the old DVD ain't even anamorphic!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Maybe we can hope for a decent Blu ray of THE STRANGER from the MGM'UA original materials. I know it has two strikes against it...being PD and already on blu, but I can hope.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
John Morgan said:
Maybe we can hope for a decent Blu ray of THE STRANGER from the MGM'UA original materials. I know it has two strikes against it...being PD and already on blu, but I can hope.
and a third strike: Kino Lorber was the company that released the blu-ray less than a year ago

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
JoHud said:
I wouldn't be 100% sure of that Twilight Time Facebook nod yet until it gets a release date. They "confirmed" future releases offhand before only to drop them once it became apparent they can't get a good transfer or some other reason. And wasn't that The Lion in Winter Facebook nod given a year ago? Hopefully it does happen though.
This is what I read Joe. TT announced a poll to guage interest in The Lion in Winter despite its substandard HD master...then appears to have shelved plans for the title entirely. This was late last year, and I haven't heard anything from them on the subject since.

Personally, that classic John Barry score isolated would be a reel treasure. But if the picture isn't good enough...I'd rather they wait until MGM redoes it...when...if...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Tom Jones should be an MGM title. It was licensed to HBO Video because The Samuel Goldwyn Company had rights for a short time (HBO distributed Goldwyn titles at the time). It reverted to MGM by 2001 since it was re-released by them. Also, it was included in the massive United Artists 90th anniversary box set apparently in a newer 16x9 enhanced version. All the other Woodfall films are owned by MGM as far as I know.

Also, it looks like Sony Colorworks worked on a recent restoration of The Lion in Winter with The Film Foundation.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Patrick McCart said:
Tom Jones should be an MGM title. It was licensed to HBO Video because The Samuel Goldwyn Company had rights for a short time (HBO distributed Goldwyn titles at the time). It reverted to MGM by 2001 since it was re-released by them. Also, it was included in the massive United Artists 90th anniversary box set apparently in a newer 16x9 enhanced version. All the other Woodfall films are owned by MGM as far as I know.Also, it looks like Sony Colorworks worked on a recent restoration of The Lion in Winter with The Film Foundation.
Nope. Not licensed. They have theatrical rights but not home video rights.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Hint of the week...

Any ideas?

xWI4Q2Q.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks