What's new

King Kong (1933) (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I haven't bought the English version of this classic, as I heard it is a truly awful disc. I recently discovered that it was released in France too, with the following artwork:
Link Removed
Can somebody please comment on the quality of this release, or tell if the French subtitles are removable?

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...(French) subtitles are optional... disc includes 'long' version (US, restored) and the (French-language only) 'short' version... image quality is as 'good' as can be expected from a movie from 1933, ditto for the sound - in all: quite good, really, considering... disc extras include re-recorded music extracts... if you like the movie, I recommend this release (no comparison to the dire UK release!)...
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/critique.php3?id=2218
Groetjes!
. . . . . .

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Thanks Hendrik! One little question though, if you don't mind: do you have this info first hand, or was it translated from the French review? I'm asking because I was just about to order it, when I read the following on www.cinestore.fr:
Sous-Titre:
Français, obligatoires avec la VO
My French is very bad, but doesn't that mean that they are non-optional when listining to the original soundtrack (VO = version originale)?

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...you can choose between:
1) the 'short' (French language only) version
2) the version longue (VOST = English language + French subs)
...and...
3) the version longue (VO = English language without subs - the 'purist' version,
so to speak ;) )...
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=2218
...'n zeer verzorgde uitgave...
. . . . . .

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Hendrik, Thanks again. Will order it soon.
....Als ik ooit iets voor je terug kan doen....;)

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Did I convert the currency correctly?

14.30 USD for the King Kong DVD?

And, how much for shipping since my French is as bad as my German.

Meaning I couldn't translate French, or German, if my wife's life depended on it.

Oh, and has anyone ordered from Cinestore?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
You converted it correctly, Bob.

International shipping is expensive, though. Cinestore charges another €15 (again 14,30 USD, or 14.35 through the converter I use) for shipping to the States.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
BTW, if you're interested in some other classics that have their best (or only) release in France, be sure to check:

Rules Of The Game (La Règle Du Jeu)
The Magnificent Ambersons (nice collector's box)
Apocalypse Now Redux (2 dvd's)

and maybe (as I don't have it myself) also:

Bringing Up Baby

AN:R and The Ambersons have some features that are French only, though.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is there another online store that sells French import DVD's, but with an English storefront? My French is so poor that I'd probably end up with an Olson Twins movie.

-Dave

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Is there another online store that sells French import DVD's, but with an English storefront?
I don't know. The only other French site I order from is www.amazon.fr , and luckily they have an English customer service: [email protected].
They are usually a bit cheaper than Cinestore, but not this time: King Kong is €22.78, although international shipping is cheaper than Cinestore: €8 to the States, €1.90 for each additional item.
Their site layout is about the same as amazon.com so maybe this one is easier to navigate.....

JohnN

Agent
Mark,
Another option is to buy the Spanish release from http://www.DVDGO.com which does have an English storefront.
I bought a copy from them some time ago and the picture quality is great. The disc has selectable English or Spanish audio tracks.
JohnN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks