What's new

Kind of a personal question - Have any of you tried online dating services? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I trust the opinions of the people on this forum, having been around here for a number of years. I am in my late fifties and seeking female companionship. After many years following a bad relationship, I am ready to try again. I am not a singles bar kind of guy. There is a bottomless pit of dating sites online (as well as all those "thousands of women looking for sex in your area TONIGHT" things that smack of illegal solicitation) but I really want to know if anyone on this forum has had a good experience with any particular site. These things cost money and I don't have that to throw away. Recommendations?

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I know this may not be the answer you're looking for.

What do you do for recreation? If you're going to spend money looking for a companion why not do something you enjoy while looking. Maybe a local amateur bowling league, hiking, table tennis club? Or take up a new hobby. Much more comfortable than blind dating plus you know that potential companions enjoy doing what you do.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The online dating question has come up periodically in this After Hours area. You can do a search and find a couple of substantial threads on the issue, if anything to spare members from reliving their worst online dating experiences. :)

That said, this is what I have stated about online dating after my less than stellar experience:

On the other hand my friend who is 50 and divorced has had a great experience with it. He's been on several dates and is now seeing someone who is very nice. This has lead me to believe that online services like match.com are better suited for the older age bracket because those people are not looking to start a family or find the "one" - just companionship, which means they tend to have more of an open mind.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Anecdote alert, a friend in his mid 30s is getting married next month to someone he met on Match. Note that this is after a couple of years of membership during which he met and dated a lot of women. Another is very happy with the dude she met on Plenty of Fish (which I believe is free).

I think eHarmony is a good match for your age bracket.

--
H

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I think it's the same as any other form of dating- it works well for some and not well for others. It has a lot to do with how good you are at writing profiles and messages, plus what site(s) you choose, not to mention the other stuff like looks & personality.

It's so common now that I don't think you can generalize too much about it being better for certain groups of people, beyond the obvious that they have to be online.

Just because it works (or doesn't) for someone else has nothing to do with how it will work for you.

It's a bit like asking if forums are a waste of time- many of them are, but I don't think this one is.

I know several people that met their spouses this way. I'm heading to one of their weddings this weekend.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Did a lot of dating over the years via online services. Most of them didn't work out for one reason or another. Some were ok, some were short lived "relationships" and a couple were nothing more than a one night stand. The last time I tried was about 4 years ago, we got married last October. So I guess it can work. We're both in our mid-30's, college educated, stable jobs, never been married, not really into the bar scene.

On a side note, my wifes mother is single and in her 50's...... I can arrange an introduction if you'd like.....

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Um -- was this category more prevalent on any one site in particular? Which one might that be? Just a askin...

--
H

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I've heard of a place called Emperor VIP that is supposed to have great results! (hehe)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

Actually, yes. In my short experiences, I actually found a site called udate.com led to more hook-ups then things like match or eharmony. Never tried the flat out obvious ones (adultfriendfinder) but for some reason udate was easy pickings.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Gee -- I was kidding but thanks! :P
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

(methinks udate.com will be getting a spike in new members with an interest in home theater today)

--
H

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
After my divorce 9 years ago, i did the online thing quite a bit. The results seemed to me to be about what they would be like if you met someone any other way, you win some, you lose some. Thats exactly how it works with meeting someone in a bookstore, or any other place. You have to get to know them, and it doesnt always work, but the internet is a good way to narrow it down. Its been 4 years since my last online experience. I have a feeling my wife wouldnt be up for it. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't tried but have been tempted. My understanding from what I hear is that it's easier for the ladies. I haven't tried because I don't think it fair that guys have to pay to contact, and the woman don't. :P since plentyoffish is free.... ;)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, guess I can't be much help on this one. Last time I dated there was no "online dating"....heck, there wasn't even any "online"

Mort (who'll stick with his present long term squeeze)

VicB

Agent
Real Name
Victor Bullara

I did the print version many years ago and it worked out well. Then you needed to get a great "creative writer" to develop your "pitch" that would appeal to a woman.

I would agree with others that eHarmony would be a good choice for you. Their site provides great insights into your own profile and that of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks