1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

KILL BILL: The multiple versions thread (6 from Miramax; Japanese, SEs, etc.)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by richardWI, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Well-Known Member

I just hope the two-pack comes out at the same time as the Vol2 stand-alone.

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Well-Known Member

Just give me Vol. 2 in a DVD comparable to Vol. 1 for ~$16 and I'll be happy. They can keep all the subsequent versions.

3. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Well-Known Member

That's a no-brainer. I'll buy it.

4. Haggai

Haggai Well-Known Member

Unless there's some changes to the movie itself a la the LOTR EEs, it doesn't seem like it would make much sense for them to release a Vol. 2 stand-alone and a Vol. 2 SE. They certainly wanted to get a Vol. 1 disc out there in time for Vol. 2 hitting the theaters, but what would be the point of two different DVD releases of Vol. 2 if the version of the movie doesn't change from one to the other? Maybe the Miramax COO was just thinking out loud.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

I will wait for the super duper box set as there are plenty of other movies I want to buy

6. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Well-Known Member

I dont think we really know what these will be yet. The Special Editions could be the Japanese cuts. The Two pack could be special edition vol 1 and 2 together. And then the Tarantino boxset would probably be all of the Miramax movies together in one set with nothing new.

7. Nathan V

Nathan V Well-Known Member

And don't forget how bloody long we're gonna have to wait for these things. KB1 took 6 months to come out on dvd. So let's have KB2 coming out in October, or thereabouts, then the limited theatrical release of the combined Japanese cut, which I believe is in summer (?), then the single volume special editions, which will probably come out on the same day (imagine the confusion), first quarter of next year at the earliest, if KB2 barebones is being released this 4th quarter. Throw on another 6 months or so, and then the Japanese/combined edit in maybe summer 2005 or christmas 2005. And this is an accelerated timeline, i don't expect them to be turning out editions that fast.

For a minute there, I thought Anchor Bay owned Kill Bill!

8. John CW

John CW Well-Known Member

Lol! Releasing a Widescreen and Fullscreen edition is hardly "double dipping" [​IMG] (Also to be fair: The Extended Editions and Ext Ed Box Sets were released at the same time and they didn't expect anyone to buy both! [​IMG])

And since the Theatrical Edition boxset offers nothing new then really you're left with:

Fellowship Theatrical
    Fellowship Extended Edition / Box Set

Two Towers Theatrical
    Two Towers Extended Edition / Box set

Return of the King Theatrical
    Return of the King Extended Edition / Box set

Which is cool by me! [​IMG]

Kill Bill seems to have managed to have invented 5 versions based on two (or is it ONE) film(s) (if the salivating person quoted is anything to go by). LotR only managed 6 versions from three films! [​IMG]

9. Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek Well-Known Member

i will keep watching my downloaded copy until a Kill Bill DVD comes out that interests me. the current DVD, even though its tempting at 9.99 after rebate, is not enough for me to upgrade my freebie.

also i probably will not buy a DVD version with a B/W House Of Blue Leaves scene. IMO the whole impact of the scene is lost and dropped my rating of the film from 9.5 (.5 taken off for the lame scene with vivica a fox) to an 8. total puss out from QT. or brilliant marketing move. movie fan my ass, hes a huckster. miramaxe is the perfect place for him.

10. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Well-Known Member

Man, that's bad. Well now I know what to get. The two-pack I assume will be nothing more then a single box containing the two SEs (similar to how you can buy the three theatrical cuts of Lord of the Rings separately or in one box, but the same editions), and I would think the QT box will be a re-edit into a single movie, so that's what I'll target. The SEs I'm figuring will be like X-men 1.5 or the 2 disc version of Master and Commander, same cut of the movies, but with more extensive bonus content.

I am glad I didn't buy the current release of KB1 (didn't have the money at the time), cause now I can simply get the SE release of each individual part for the theatrical cuts.

11. Frank@N

Frank@N Well-Known Member

Coconuts/Fey/Strawberries should be selling KB for $9.95 with $5-$7 mail-in rebate.

But I can't stand that delayed rebate crap and never have bought anything that required a mail-in rebate to get the true sale price.

12. richardWI

richardWI Well-Known Member

I avoid it as well. In exchange for giving them your address and purchasing preferences they'll give you the advertised sale price in 6 to 8 weeks.

13. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Well-Known Member

Eep! I knew there was going to be a special edition of the combined Kill Bill, but special editions of both theatrical volumes as well? That's asking a bit much... I love Kill Bill but I'm going to wait until the super-mega-ultimate boxset comes out that has the japanese cut of the film... Oh what am I kidding, I know I'll cave in and buy any version that has anything major to add to it. :b I'm weak like that.

*sighs and prepares to hand Miramax his wallet*

14. MikeFR

MikeFR Well-Known Member

I'll buy Vol 1 and 2 used and miramax wont get any of my money.

15. Alex K.

Alex K. Well-Known Member

Sigh... Mirimax got a LOT of money from me. Paid an entire 30 bucks for the volume one...

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Well-Known Member

I fully expected this onslaught and am restraining myself to wait for the Vol 1 & 2 SE--whether it will be the US version, or if I have to import the Japanese one remains to be seen. But won't get fooled again. [​IMG]

17. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Well-Known Member

I was able to get Kill Bill V1 for Free. [​IMG]

I received a free dvd ,that I already owned, with the purchase of another dvd so I took the extra one back and exchanged it for KBv1. [​IMG]

I was fortunate that KB was on sale for 15.99 since I didnt present a receipt for the unopened "extra dvd" which was usually 19.99 they gave me a store credit for 15.99.

AND So with this news from MIRAMAX I have No Guilt.[​IMG][​IMG]

Anyhow when all these other versions come out then I will pay $$ to get what I want. Hope they release 1 Movie that is uncut and 4.5 Hours Long. That would be worth it.

18. Brent M

Brent M Well-Known Member

I will buy these DVDs used as well. "Multiple bites at the apple", huh? Miramax can kiss my ass!

19. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Well-Known Member

Well, I figure I can make back the $10 I spent on Kill Bill when a better version comes out. I just want the best version I can get. 6 versions? Come now.

20. Dannie

Dannie Well-Known Member

but on my jap kill bill dvd it has universal pictures not miramax as the dvd maker