What's new

Kiki DVD out-of-sync... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dave, check your email, I found a more direct route that skips a lot of red tape (or should I say it found me)

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
1) Is the out-of-sync issue only on the Kiki disc, or is it also apparent on Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky?

2) What is this Spirited Away title card bug you're talking about? (I seem to remember reading about it somewhere, but I forgot)

JasonRH

Second Unit
I've read that Castle in the Sky has mis-timed subs in several places. Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
sigh... i still have my kiki DVD sealed coz of this thread.
any chance disney will replace it(if that's what they decide to do) if I open it? i had to save up to buy these, and couldn't justify buying it again.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
thanks jeff... i popped this in (in OSL, of course). and enjoyed the heck out of it. Miyazaki's films are pure magic...
now bring on nausicaa and totoro.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Oh man I really, REALLY want this movie and want to get it at the current deal Best Buy is offering (get Kiki and Castle together and get four dollars off).

Should I just go ahead and get them both now to take advantage of the offer? I was going to definitely do this but then heard of the sync problems with Kiki's..... Though I primarily will be watching it subtitled anyway, I would like to show it to friends that don't like subtitles and don't want to have to cringe at mistimed dubbings.....

What should I do????

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I overlooked Jeff's message. I think I will go ahead and buy them and have confidence that if I notice the problem it will be corrected.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Am I correct in assuming that the OSL soundtrack is fine? Or it the problem with mistimed sound effects also on the OSL soundtrack?

If the issue is only with the dub, I'll buy this confidently, since I'll be watching the OSL at any time.

HowieG

Grip
After checking this DVD on four different DVD players (2-Sony DVP-NS755Vs, PowerDVD-XP, and Sonic CinePlayer 1.5) I can tell you that for some reason all three language tracks are off. So, if you check the "broom slap" scene (for instance) on each of the 3 tracks it's off the same amount.

However to be fair, I also notice (on more careful analysis) that the sound "seems" to go back in-sync later in the movie.

The VHS of this anime has "Witches Potions" written on the sign, in back of Jiji, when Kiki first approaches her house. In the DVD it is written in Japanese and therein may lie the problem. An ever so slight change in the Japanese print and the modified "English" print may have been off just a few frames to cause the sync difference, as compared to the english (only) VHS dub.

Just a guess, but who really knows.

It's still "Kiki" on DVD in Region 1 and the 5.1 sound and picture are still worth it. I just wish it was as in-sync as the VHS (english) print I have is. Because on that print lip flap is virtually non-existent, they really did that good a job of "english" dubbing...

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
does the Spirited Away DVD definately have nothing wrong with it ?

cos i was gonna wait for the R2 releases of Castle and Kiki anyway.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I read the whole thread, but still can't quite tell... has anyone experienced sync problems with the original soundtrack, or are those problems limited only to the dub-track?

HowieG

Grip
After many tests I have confirmed that the english track is out-of-sync 15-frames (approx. 1/2 sec.). That includes sound effects, music and dialog (everything).

Don't ask me how because I'm not allowed to answer. I will say that the results of the sound shift are great though.

The care in the editing (for instance) now brings on new meaning. A level of stress (almost subliminal yet real) is relieved (don't make fun it's true). Any editor knows what I'm saying.

Finally, for anyone here to denounce the importance of an out-of-sync soundtrack is like putting down the importance of OAR or animorphic widescreen - both are important!

Anyway there it is, now what's going to be done about it?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, when you say that do you mean you just made them aware that there's a problem, or did you get any indication that they might actually DO something about it? I'm expecting the former, but conceivably your response could mean the latter. Thanks for your efforts in any event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks