What's new

Kid Nation... (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think when this was originally put out and news stories leaked, there was a lot of very unseemly things said about how things went on the show.

Looking at it, it's much more tame then any of those news stories, which pissed people off, read.

There are still logistical disagreements with the nature of the program, but some of the early portrayals are far more harsh then the reality.

So, putting all that aside, I've seen both eps, and man.. it's just not very good. That's just my opinion, but there are some deceptions pulled on the kids (see my Protein example) that don't strike me as very entertaining.. it's like convincing any idiot that there is a small gnome that lives in their refrigerator that turns the light on and off. Even if you could do it, it doesn't make it compelling or entertaining to watch.

Some of the show comes across as just feeble.. and boring. It's a competition show. CBS played this up as a "build their own society" show.. and it has almost nothing to do with that. They have pre-scheduled events, they can gain things, etc.. it's like CBS kind of chickened out and because it's a competition show, the competitive nature of the kids compels them to stay and put peer pressure down to prevent people from leaving. Whereas a show where the kids have basically everything but they have to decide how to govern could have been insanely interesting, whether or not kids could figure out a way to make a city work - which is how this is promoted. But they aren't "making the city work" they are doing lame contests to win idiotic prizes "ooh.. a water slide OR water pumps!" come on.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, if the show doesn't return next year it won't really surprise me that much, afterall how can this show last multiple seasons when they'll probably just be doing the same things over and over. Survivor changes things up by moving to different places but how many towns can they find?

I think this will be a one time deal, sort of like Boot Camp a few years ago which was a show I really liked lol.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
i think the show has been really good so far. I have to admit that i was a little put off by all the controversy at first but after actually watching the episodes, i really like it. I was so impressed with how greg stepped up and handled the chicken situation. Alot of the kids are really mature for their age (not that girl taylor, but at least shes entertaining), im definitely gonna watch the next one on wednesday...

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
99% of kids now don't HAVE to slaughter their dinner, but I see nothing wrong with showing kids what it takes to actually have a part in the entire preperation of a meal. It's a good education in leanring where your food comes from and that Mcfrozen food is not all there is to life.

I think it was pretty amazing that these kids stepped up to do it.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

I agree..Thats why i like this show so much because these kids really are figuring out how to organize themselves into a society. They didnt have to kill the ckicken but they stepped up and dd it anyway..very impressive. I cant wait to see what kind of challenges the kids face this week!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Now is when the push debate for CBS starts to happen.

"Kid Nation" (households: 4.7/8, #9; adults 18-49: 2.5, #T10)
"Pushing Daisies" (households: 8.3/14, #T3; adults 18-49: 4.3, #2)
"Deal or No Deal" (households: 7.1/12, #5; adults 18-49: 2.8, #9)
"Back to You" (households: 4.4/7, #10; adults 18-49: 2.4, #12)

Kid Nation is down from last week.. small in the overall (down .1) but down .3 in the 18-49, and surprisingly "Deal or No Deal" went up .2 in the 18-49, so now instead of a "break even" competitor, it's clearly #3 in it's slot.

Didn't see last nights ep, so can't comment.. but I do love CBS's press release spin on it:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Did anyone else besides me get a little choked up when little 9 year-old Mallory was given the gold star and got to call home?

Someone should check and see if Greg is related to Dick Donato. ;)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

yeah God forbid they get a taste of what kids had to do 100 years ago...Spoiled little brats have been handed everything. Perfect example is the little pageant girl on the show...she is wearing on my last nerve. How can someone raise a spoiled little brat like that?

why is it questionable to make them kill chickens? I guess I am missing something. I heard this scene was offensive for a lot of people...Do people not know how chickens end up on our dinner plates?

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Pushing Daisies is incredible. It makes sense that it will sap audience. Anything appealing to the same demo is going to be in big trouble up against it.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

Haha I didnt want to admit it but , yes!! i feel like im getting sadly involved with these kids lives..cant wait for tomorrows episode!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks