What's new

Kid Nation... (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Gets off to a rather rocky start as some prepare to protest saying the show flouted child labor laws by having children work 7AM-10PM (and later) by saying it was not "work" but a CBS Sponsored "Summer Camp"

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2007/07/t...kid_nation.php

After getting wind, New Mexico has closed the loophole CBS used to declare this a summer camp, making follow up seasons pretty unlikely.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Either way, I saw this show ending in catastrophe. I read "Lord of the Flies" in high school.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Adults, however, can consent to any agreement for their time and they are compensated as part of the agreement.

Kids in this case cannot give legal consent, and child labor laws are very different.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am stunned that CBS has chosen this as the replacement for the Jericho time-slot. Just when I thought "reality" TV couldn't sink any lower....

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't see why CBS has to contribute to the exploitation of minors in the name of entertainment. Because whatever this show SOUNDS like it is, I am sure it is NOT. For example, when "Survivor" was first announced, CBS made it sound like an almost serious documentary-style examination of diverse peoples learning to cooperate under extremely harsh conditions. That was supposedly the underlying message. What Survivor IS, is one-hour of bitching, back-stabbing and bullshit. It's totally irrelevant. The only entertainment value comes within the vicarious thrill of being able to "vote out" people that you don't like. (Would that we could all do THAT in our daily lives!)

So what's Kid Nation? A junior version of the typical reality show? I don't know if there's any process of elimination in this show (I'd be surprised if there wasn't), but I suppose the entertainment value this time will come up from the reasons the kids vote each other off. For example:

Host: So, kids, why did you vote Shelly out of the camp?

Answer: Because she's fat and she smells.

Well? Big surprise; that's exactly what kids would do and say. I can't "wait" for this piece of CBS reality trash.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
CBS has a perfectly capable ratings performer in "The Amazing Race" (which enjoyed strong ratings when it used to be on Wednesdays).

They are desperate to break the "old demo" perception that everyone has regarding their network.

If "Pirate Master" is any indication of CBS' recent reality fare, they are having a tough time finding fresh blood that is better than "Survivor," "Big Brother" or "The Amazing Race" (which I think are still all very strong reality series in terms of overall quality and appeal.)

Like "Pirate Master," "Kid Nation" was supposed to be a summer show, and it looks like a summer show.

"The Amazing Race" will probably be back by November in that timeslot.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

Kids decide if they want to leave themselves...they aren't "kicked off" or "voted out" like in other reality shows.

I know, it sounds lame.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I love a good train wreck and this looks like a supertrain jumping it's rails.

And where exactly is this town? It looks like an old dusty wild west town.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I think accusations such as "exploitation" are irresponsible, until you've seen the series. People are so quick to rush to condemn; I wonder how these same people would feel when they are the target.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's OK, I was kind of waiting for Brian's defense of CBS policy. :)

Regardless, the fact is this is a show that is now pretty cramped to one season. CBS filmed this in New Mexico to get around stricter child labor laws elsewhere. Now, in part due to this program, New Mexico has tightened the rules in their state. That means there is now no state that would permit this kind of filming.

Not saying it's exploitation. But I can't imagine this is good for the kids psyche. They've said that kids will "vote out" town members, etc.

Do I really want to watch the post interviews?

"Why did you vote out Mary?"
"Because she stinks and she's fat.."

I'm sure that kind of thiing is the heart of building character.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
So in your quotes you provided evidence (1) that what they did was legal; (2) that what they did was legal; and (3) that there was filming going on.

You have used a legal term, "exploitation," which is inflammatory, but you don't have any way of backing up your accusation. So you surely should expect to be called-out on that!

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
For all any of us actually know, the whole experience could be a substantially positive one for the vast majority of the children involved. That's the point. We haven't seen the show yet.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This one was a BIG pass for me right from the start.

I don't need some snot nosed kids telling me how much my generation has f-upped everything and how they are going to do better.

I already get that for free from my newer and niece.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian^K
You owe me an apology.

I will admit to being over enthusiastic in calling you out, but nothing more.

Just because something might be legal doesn't mean it can't be exploitive. I refer you to definition 2 and submit that it applies in this case.

ex·ploit2 /ɪkˈsplɔɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ik-sploit] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1.to utilize, esp. for profit; turn to practical account: to exploit a business opportunity. 2.to use selfishly for one's own ends: employers who exploit their workers. 3.to advance or further through exploitation; promote: He exploited his new movie through a series of guest appearances.

Oh, yeah, the parents are morons too. :)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

Watch the preview on the CBS website.

Each 'week' the kids vote on which of them most deserves to get a large chunk of gold to put towards their schooling.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20047148,00.html

Highlights:

"we did not give them a set schedule"

"there were ''hundreds'' of adults present on the set"

''There were pediatricians, child psychologists, and even animal wranglers standing back and watching to see if they had to step in if there was danger.... I think we were all a little shocked by how little we had to do for them.''

''We made the decision early on that we were going to give these kids an incredible experience. And the kids wanted it. These are leaders at home, who went to scout camps and participated model UNs.''

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Highlight from that article for me:

So, kids couldn't get to talk to their parents unless they one a competition. Or they could quit.

Look, there were tons of psychologists and things behind crap like Fox' 'Ugly Duckling" and "Marry a Millionaire" and they were still wrong.

These kids were all over-achievers, campers, etc. which means they were also very interested in proving they could do well.

As the article you post notes, CBS didn't consider them actors in any way, so who cares about their time schedule, no labor problem...

These are kids who, like all kids, wanted to prove their worth to their parents, etc. And I'm sure many / most of the parents went into this with good intentions.

While you're right to link the press conference comments, when you look at the flip-flops during it, who knows what was going on:

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hi..._dont_need.php

And here's the part no one is really getting at. These are YOUNG kids. They will see themselves put on national TV. And maybe on some level they get it "oh, I'll be famous" but on other levels, they don't.

Production will undoubtly catch a child crying missing their family. A kid who gets hurt doing work. Backstabbing to get a job in their fake town. Complaints about honesty.

And kids will have all that aired while they are young enough that they will be returning back to middle school.

Sure, psychologically they were cool on the set. Hell, how many people had normal problems in middle school? Kids get to go back home and here "you are such the liar" "Crying for your mommie?" and other things from schoolyard mates who, already envious of their appearance on a show will relish the payback.

I'm sure there will be tons watching, but in general, a reality show involving kids younger then high school is in appropriate. No one has any idea the longterm impacts, and any psychiatrist or parent who says they do is a quack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks