What's new

Kickass new SmartWatch (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Clearly it is among the best seen. It's great for what it is.

BUT WHAT DO YOU NEED IT FOR? What does it give you that the phone itself does other than a way to peacock and to see text messages without taking your phone out of your pocket?

If your whole raison d'etre is to save you from removing your beautifully designed device from your own pocket you don't have much to go on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BUT WHAT DO YOU NEED IT FOR? What does it give you that the phone itself does other than a way to peacock and to see text messages without taking your phone out of your pocket?
Exactly what I need it for....and don't forget....carry on a phone conversation like Dick Tracy.
Sam, everyone doesn't have the same needs (or not) as you.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Ronald Epstein said:
What!?! Is this... true?

Although, truth be told, I do agree with Sam on this one. I don't think most people need a smartwatch, especially when you consider how watch sales plummeted after cellphones became popular. Most people ditched their watches as soon as they didn't need them, so I'm not sure why people think this going to take off other than wishful thinking. As I stated earlier in this thread (which means Sam is agreeing with me rather than vice versa), for the rudimentary functionality provided, the cost needs to be much lower than what the market is offering.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Exactly what I need it for....and don't forget....carry on a phone conversation like Dick Tracy.
So you're saying that Dick Tracy would think using a bluetooth earpiece is uncool? :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ronald Epstein said:
Right. But the question I pose is the core of what Apple brings to the table.

Companies like Samsung will make a bunch of (mostly) crap new products and geeky features and put em on the market and see if people like it and are willing to pay more for it. Apple doesn't work that way.

Even with their Hobby products (Apple TV) the limited set of things Apple put on the market are generally designed to fulfill a need millions of people can clearly identify with and value. There are exceptions but that's their MO.

The wrist watch as exemplified by the early entrants doesn't have that. The best feature they can list is that it saves you from taking your 'real' device out of your pocket. If they didn't look so ugly so far (Pebble 2.0 excepting) they could also add to the list that it makes a handsome piece of jewelry / outfit accessory. I don't see those two things as mass market, tho clearly the second -could be- if done right. You still need more to it to make it to the level that Apple releases. Even then the first generation will generally be limited functionality that only covers the heart of the users need. If the heart of the users need is "I want my phone to stay in my pocket and to also look like I value high end jewelry" there isn't really an Apple product there yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, let's be certain that we are talking about the same thing....

I started this conversation talking about my needs and wants.

Sam's response was "What do YOU need it for?"Then Hanson follows it up with "I don't think most people need a smartwatch."

So are we talking about me or most other people?My response was to Sam asking "What do YOU need it for?"

I already gave that answer. Being a gadget guy, I am the type of early adopter who will buy the
watch just to have it.

...but I haven't yet. Truth be, I am waiting to see what Apple has up its wrist. They are announcing
a watch and new iPhone towards the end of the year.

My fear with the Apple smartwatch is that it will only be IOS compatible. That doesn't help me, that is,
unless rumors are true and Apple indeed announces a phone that will be larger than 5." That may
tempt me back to the iPhone, but I must say, I am very happy with Android.

But back to Hanson....

I don't think most people need a smartwatch. It's certainly only a niche market right now. My co-worker
has the Galaxy Gear and he loves it. However, he is even telling me to wait till the second gen is announced.

The reason smartwatches still don't have that WOW appeal is that its still in its infancy. However, one of
the big benefits I see in its future is its fitness tracking ability. I can also positively see a future where the watch
will not be dependent on the phone in the pocket.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm using 'you' in the sense of the general public average human being. Cause that's Apple's market, tho clearly some techheads can get past their idiosyncracies and limitations and live with Apple's way of doing things and others can't. I get that you (Ron) have a very specific set of passions and likes, and you have been very vocal about your frustrations in dealing with Apple's lock in and lock down in the past and I agree that it's best for you to explore other platforms that might meet those needs better, what I don't see is Apple bending their way of doing things just to meet your wants and needs. I have wanted Apple to embrace bluray for the history of the format. They haven't and they are unlikely to any time soon, and I'm ok with that. If I wasn't OK with it I'd recommend to me to start looking elsewhere than to expect Apple to come around to my way of thinking. Now that I say that the Apple TV will surely include BD playback soon, right? =)

When I look at that mock up I see something that clearly could live within the design language that Apple is known for, what I don't see is the killer feature that is going to tempt people who never thought they wanted or needed a smart watch to go along with their smart phone. And that's where most tech heads lose their shit. They say "If only Apple would make something like this without all the other Apple-y things they do I'd be first in line." But that's not gonna happen.

You mentioned talking to your wrist as an appealing thing. As someone who is going to have to live in a world with a thousand idiots surrounding me on a daily basis talking into their wrists in public I'm pretty certain that's a future none of us want a part in. Again, this comes down to the line between "Wouldn't it be cool if" and what something looks like in the real world. Apple famously says that the things they say no to are more important than what they say yes to. I'm hoping this is one of them =)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
People are freaking out over this concept, I'm still meh on it tho:
http://toddham.com/blog/iwatch-concept/
Gorgeous design. But what I've seen of rigid bracelets is that they have no "up". They slide around the wrist. This seems to need a little more thought on the human-wearing-it design, or it's an artifact of frustration, guaranteed to be screen-side down every time you want to use it.
Ronald Epstein said:

That will be amusing, watching people shouting at their wrist, then hurriedly putting their wrist up to their ear to hear the reply, then lowering their hand back down to shout at it some more, et cyk. We'll go from a world of people screaming at no one as they talk on their BT earpieces to screaming marionettes as they bellow and walk and flail their arms about, having a crucial business conversation :)

I think not-having-to-get-phone-from-pocket could be a strong selling point. Glanceable updates on alarms, messages, time and even weather -- not having to wrestle the phone from a pocket -- would be an improvement to social and professional gatherings.

But I need one of these without a camera, cell radio, wifi, or bluetooth! ;) Otherwise, I'll watch the market with interest and unfulfilled longing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I skimmed the written review and all I got was "$150 to see notifications on wrist". And while that watch isn't ugly, to me, nor is it attractive or something I'd wear.

Which is the big problem 'wearables' face.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yup.
So what kinds of apps are available? First, let's go over the categories that the apps are assigned to: notifications, daily, tools/utilities, remotes, games and fitness. You'll find apps dedicated to tracking packages, customizable RSS feeds, metro status, your watch's battery life, grocery lists and personal notes....Simply put, the Steel isn't going to persuade many people to swap out their perfectly functional Hamilton, Movado or Citizen, but if you're in the market for a replacement and want a smartwatch, this is your best option. What's most important, though, is what the Steel represents: a realization that if smartwatches are going to become mainstream, they'll need to appeal to people who prefer to adorn their wrists with jewelry. At the very least, the Steel is a significant step in the right direction.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/28/pebble-steel-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks