What's new

KHARTOUM bluray? (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased "Alexander the Great" on Blu-ray Region 2 and it is very good quality, not spectacular, better than the current DVD. Similar to the quality we see with El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire, The Egyptian. More like Twilight quality not Criterion. I purchased this title from Amazon.uk. You need a Region-Free player to play this Blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ernest said:
I recently purchased "Alexander the Great" on Blu-ray Region 2 and it is very good quality, not spectacular, better than the current DVD. Similar to the quality we see with El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire, The Egyptian. More like Twilight quality not Criterion. I purchased this title from Amazon.uk. You need a Region-Free player to play this Blu-ray.
It should be pointed out that El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire if properly done would look much better than The Egyptian and Alexander the Great, as it is they look worse.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ernest said:
I have the Zone B BRDs of El Cid and The Fall Of The Roman Empire and Twilight Time's zone free BRD of The Egyptian. The Egyptian is far better than the other two. They're not in the same ball park. I'm puzzled by your suggestion that Criterion's audio/visual standards are higher than Twilight Time's.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robin9 said:
I have the Zone B BRDs of El Cid and The Fall Of The Roman Empire and Twilight Time's zone free BRD of The Egyptian. The Egyptian is far better than the other two. They're not in the same ball park. I'm puzzled by your suggestion that Criterion's audio/visual standards are higher than Twilight Time's.
From what I understand, Twilight Time has no particular standards and uses the transfers provided to them by Sony and Fox. Generally, they have been quite good, but I haven't heard of them doing any thing more than that. Criterion seems to put a lot of work into, at least, many of their releases.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Yet another BD release of EL CID and FOTRE is imminent from the Danish SoulMedia Company. I'd imagine that it's just a rehash with the same transfer. Boy, these transfers have been getting a lot of exercise in the past few years. Certainly wish we could get a new 4K scan. Wishful thinking!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoeDoakes said:
From what I understand, Twilight Time has no particular standards and uses the transfers provided to them by Sony and Fox. Generally, they have been quite good, but I haven't heard of them doing any thing more than that. Criterion seems to put a lot of work into, at least, many of their releases.
Twilight Time now reject any master that does not reach the highest standard and so the picture quality of their BRDs is beyond sensible criticism. I have several of their BRDs and every one is excellent.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ed Lachmann said:
Yet another BD release of EL CID and FOTRE is imminent from the Danish SoulMedia Company. I'd imagine that it's just a rehash with the same transfer. Boy, these transfers have been getting a lot of exercise in the past few years. Certainly wish we could get a new 4K scan. Wishful thinking!
There is less probability of this happening with every new market that is flooded with these inferior discs - most people shockingly will be happy with those Blu-Rays and are unlikely to buy them twice. So with these movies not having been released on Blu-Ray in Japan and the US it can only be hoped that whoever comes up with a new transfer will be doing this in time to profit from a release in these two territories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks