What's new

KHARTOUM bluray? (1 Viewer)

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
Derek, I remember clearly where the intermission was originally in the Cinerama theater I saw it in. It was about 40 minutes from the end of the film (which is odd), and after the intermission it fades in on the marching of British soldiers playing a tune (bagpipes?). It struck me as odd that the second part after the intermission was so short. By the way, we NEED this in Blu-ray. A tremendous achievement with great performances, wonderful battle scenes, and, above all, a brilliant script by anthropologist Robert Ardrey. Bob Blenheim

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
ahollis said:
KHARTOUM is owned by MGM as the film was a United Artists release.  At the present MGM has a deal with FOX to release their product and they have also licensed out titles to other smaller companies.  If the film is released on Blu-ray then I would almost bet money that it will be through Fox.  However, MGM picks the titles it wants to release, of course with Fox input, so I would let both know of your interest. 
Would that mean that Twilight Time (through Fox) would also have access to titles like SOLOMON AND SHEBA, ALEXANDER THE GREAT, THE VIKINGS and KINGS OF THE SUN? These would be dream releases for me and certainly for a number of others, I'm certain.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
Oliver, Did you get the intermission in the wrong place as well ?, l also saw this at the NFT in the late 70,s and seem to remember a full 6 track stereo but it was a long time ago.
Yes I did. I remember thinking that this seemed like a very strange way to place an intermission and surely enough it turned out to be mid-scene which is never how one does an intermission in this kind of movie. Some older members of the audience who had watched the movie multiple times with the original intermission plaement pointed out that it was in the wrong place. I heard that it was to be reinstated in the proper place later, no idea if that has happened by now.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
RBlenheim said:
Derek, I remember clearly where the intermission was originally in the Cinerama theater I saw it in. It was about 40 minutes from the end of the film (which is odd), and after the intermission it fades in on the marching of British soldiers playing a tune (bagpipes?). It struck me as odd that the second part after the intermission was so short. By the way, we NEED this in Blu-ray. A tremendous achievement with great performances, wonderful battle scenes, and, above all, a brilliant script by anthropologist Robert Ardrey. Bob Blenheim
Yes indeed Part 2 started with the relief force leaving London-outside St Pancress station I think. A BD would be great but the film is no Lawrence although it hoped to be. Great photography although not by Freddy Young as intended as he left early for Madrid to answer David Lean's call.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
john a hunter said:
Yes indeed Part 2 started with the relief force leaving London-outside St Pancress station I think. A BD would be great but the film is no Lawrence although it hoped to be. Great photography although not by Freddy Young as intended as he left early for Madrid to answer David Lean's call.
Though I haven't seen Khartoum in a long time and remember seeing it originally in Cinerama I do recall rear process shots in the second half of the film that marred the whole experience for me. However, good acting, story and score.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
Hey, it's not a perfect film, and no Lawrence. So what? -- it's a really intelligent, superbly-acted and well-produced film, and that's quite enough. As far as the rear process shots, yes, I remember them, too -- particularly one with Heston rigging dynamite before the battle (maybe I remember it somewhat incorrectly). Again, I don't mind about that either as this flaw is found in so many films of the era it's virtually become iconic. Today those used to CGI tend to pick too much at process shots like this when they aren't that important overall. And as "Marnie" demonstrated, even obvious process shots can work to the benefit of a film (e.g., emphasizing the 'internal' world of Marnie, adding some 'trapped' feeling to her in outdoor shots). "Khartoum" is a superior example of an intelligent historical film, and remains so today in spite of these 'flaws'. I also love Heston's subtle gay interpretation. And, to get back to Ardrey's wonderful script, it was a brilliant idea to put the Mahdi and Gordon together to express their clashing ideologies. (Ardrey knew they had never met). It was poetic license. This is also why the staginess of their scenes together work even though they seem as fake as similar scenes in John Ford films. Bob

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
RBlenheim said:
Hey, it's not a perfect film, and no Lawrence. So what? -- it's a really intelligent, superbly-acted and well-produced film, and that's quite enough. As far as the rear process shots, yes, I remember them, too -- particularly one with Heston rigging dynamite before the battle (maybe I remember it somewhat incorrectly). Again, I don't mind about that either as this flaw is found in so many films of the era it's virtually become iconic. Today those used to CGI tend to pick too much at process shots like this when they aren't that important overall. And as "Marnie" demonstrated, even obvious process shots can work to the benefit of a film (e.g., emphasizing the 'internal' world of Marnie, adding some 'trapped' feeling to her in outdoor shots). "Khartoum" is a superior example of an intelligent historical film, and remains so today in spite of these 'flaws'. I also love Heston's subtle gay interpretation. And, to get back to Ardrey's wonderful script, it was a brilliant idea to put the Mahdi and Gordon together to express their clashing ideologies. (Ardrey knew they had never met). It was poetic license. This is also why the staginess of their scenes together work even though they seem as fake as similar scenes in John Ford films. Bob
I'd buy it, along with Lord Jim, The Agony & The Ecstasy & any other big format, big music score, beautifully photographed roadshow movie. Probably best described as; the kind of movie they don't make these days.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
RBlenheim said:
Agreed except not quite for the gay interpretation. Apparently Heston had a way to play certain scenes that lends itself to him being interpreted as playing it with subtle gay undertones but I strongly doubt he did that on purpose, same with Ben Hur.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Billy Batson said:
I'd buy it, along with Lord Jim, The Agony & The Ecstasy & any other big format, big music score, beautifully photographed roadshow movie. Probably best described as; the kind of movie they don't make these days.
Yes, these are long gone. Not too many of them were perfect and absolute masterpieces but they had a certain charm that is missing from most of todays megaproductions.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
OliverK said:
Agreed except not quite for the gay interpretation. Apparently Heston had a way to play certain scenes that lends itself to him being interpreted as playing it with subtle gay undertones but I strongly doubt he did that on purpose, same with Ben Hur.
I never saw anything in Heston's performance that was 'subtly gay', nor do I know why there would be. I have never read that Gordon was gay, subtly or otherwise. I have read that he was very religious and that he may have exhibited pedophilic tendencies. I doubt that the makers of KHARTOUM had any intention of depicting Gordon as gay. I think what may seem 'subtly gay' is Heston's flirtation with a British accent. Heston was trying for a Victorian style which is against the grain of his larger than life heroic style. He always spoke with a neutral accent and for much of the film does so. I think Heston was actually miscast as Gordon. For one thing, he was almost a foot taller than Gordon, and Gordon always struck me as a nervous fussbudgety type. I think John Mills would have made a more realistic Gordon. But the filmmakers wanted to depict Gordon as very heroic and larger than life, which was Heston's stock in trade.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ed Lachmann said:
Would that mean that Twilight Time (through Fox) would also have access to titles like SOLOMON AND SHEBA, ALEXANDER THE GREAT, THE VIKINGS and KINGS OF THE SUN? These would be dream releases for me and certainly for a number of others, I'm certain.
No the deal between Fox and Twilight is just for Fox films. MGM/UA titles are not part of the mix.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
There has been speculation on Gordon being gay -- but there's no proof. I didn't invent that. And of course Heston didn't obviously make it a point, but there are a few lines in which one could subtlety read that in his performance if one is so inclined. At one point Heston points a finger at someone and says a line that ends with "...I don't recall" in a very feminine manner. Like all fine actors adding various underlying resonances, Heston employed them often to enrich a character, and not blatantly. I maintain there are shades of femininity in Heston's Gordon. PS: I don't give a darn if Heston's taller than his counterpart. The same was true of O'Toole as Lawrence. And certainly I can't take a claim seriously that the height difference makes Heston miscast, but the 'fussbudgety' is interesting to contemplate. Maybe Mills would have been good, but no matter. To me, Heston IS Gordon!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
David_B_K said:
I never saw anything in Heston's performance that was 'subtly gay', nor do I know why there would be..
I agree. And people may interpret a line here and there of something I say as being feminine, but I sure as hell hope people don't speculate on me when I'm dead. It's distasteful. Regardless, yes, I would like a blu-ray of this film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Stockton said:
Thanks Oliver. So its fair to assume that the BD will be sourced from 65 MM.
Definitely. Although I would hope that they revisit Khartoum and scan it at a higher resolution they will probably release a Blu-Ray derived from the 2k scan at some point.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
OliverK said:
Definitely. Although I would hope that they revisit Khartoum and scan it at a higher resolution they will probably release a Blu-Ray derived from the 2k scan at some point.
Also hope that they utilize a better sound source and include Overture and Entr'acte music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks