What's new

KHARTOUM bluray? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Saw this in Cinarama at the Music Hall theater in Detroit in 66. Great action epic.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched this recently and thought it might be more topical today, than when it was theatrically released.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by trajan
Saw this in Cinarama at the Music Hall theater in Detroit in 66. Great action epic.
I saw this as a kid in Cinerama also. The head on the pole had a major effect on me then. Then saw the DVD a couple of years ago and boy was that shot cheesey. See what CSI has done to me. But great action film with solid acting. Blu-ray would be good and with the titles, MGM/Fox are putting out on DVD, I would not be supprised to see it released.

L

Larry-Bender

Several years ago I believe Foto- Kem scanned KHARTOUM. Does Fox or Warner own this? [Larry Bender[Trajan].

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Larry-Bender /t/311783/khartoum-bluray#post_3979096
Several years ago I believe Foto- Kem scanned KHARTOUM. Does Fox or Warner own this? [Larry Bender[Trajan].
KHARTOUM is owned by MGM as the film was a United Artists release. At the present MGM has a deal with FOX to release their product and they have also licensed out titles to other smaller companies. If the film is released on Blu-ray then I would almost bet money that it will be through Fox. However, MGM picks the titles it wants to release, of course with Fox input, so I would let both know of your interest.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/311783/khartoum-bluray#post_3979110
This is a Sony/Columbia title currently under restoration by Grover Crisp's staff and tentatively scheduled for 2013 release as a Twilight Time 3,000 copy limited edition BD...
Sorry it belongs to MGM not Sony/Columbia. United Artists released in 1966 and MGM owns the United Artist library.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Oops!!! Apologies for the misinformation regarding the ownership of "Khartoum"...however, Twilight Time has repeatedly said that this WILL ultimately released through them as part of their Fox licensing deal, probably in 2013!!!

L

Larry-Bender

Bring on STAR! Lets not forget DOCTOR DOLITTLE. Are you paying attention Twilight Time? We love those TODD-AO transfers.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/311783/khartoum-bluray#post_3979118
Oops!!! Apologies for the misinformation regarding the ownership of "Khartoum"...however, Twilight Time has repeatedly said that this WILL ultimately released through them as part of their Fox licensing deal, probably in 2013!!!
Sorry, Luke, you must have this mixed up with another title. We have never said we are releasing this. For one thing we don't have a deal with MGM/UA, although if we ever do, Khartoum is a title we'd like. On our FB page we gets hundreds of suggestions each week about which titles aficionados would love to see released, and we often agree with their choices, but that doesn't mean we'll be doing it. Only those that we officially announce, will definitely be coming on TT...

Best,

Nick.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Twilight Time /t/311783/khartoum-bluray#post_3979143
Sorry, Luke, you must have this mixed up with another title. We have never said we are releasing this. For one thing we don't have a deal with MGM/UA, although if we ever do, Khartoum is a title we'd like. On our FB page we gets hundreds of suggestions each week about which titles aficionados would love to see released, and we often agree with their choices, but that doesn't mean we'll be doing it. Only those that we officially announce, will definitely be coming on TT...

Best,

Nick.
WOW, my memory' s really off today...sorry for the misinformation regarding this title!!!

L

Larry-Bender

Just watched this again on dvd. Excellent epic bio. Some very good acting with a solid script and great use of Egyptian locations. The best thing about the film may be the great score by Frank Cordell. This Ultra-Panavision movie really needs a bluray release.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung
WOW, my memory' s really off today...sorry for the misinformation regarding this title!!!
You're clearly confusing KHARTOUM with another Charlton Heston movie, MAJOR DUNDEE, that IS coming from Twilight Time and has been restored by Sony/Columbia.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Larry-Bender said:
The information back then was that it had ben scanned at 2k except for the titles that were done at 4k. That was quite unusual for a 65mm production even back then when Baraka had already been done in 8k but as we all know MGM is not exactly a studio that is pouring money into their back catalogue. Khartoum has been shown very often on the MGM HD channel and frankly looks rather bad in 14mbps MPEG 2 so a Blu-Ray would be a very big step forward for Khartoum. MGM has at least three large format productions left that seem to be available in decent quality and that might make it to Blu-Ray without turning out to be the complete disaster that The Greatest Story Ever Told was: One is Khartoum, the others are Sayonara and Solomon and Sheba.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
Just wanted to point out that Robert Osbourne asked Charlton Heston in his TCM interview to name his favorite film of all his movies. Did he name Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments or A Touch of Evil? No. He answered, "KHARTOUM."

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
OliverK said:
Khartoum has been shown very often on the MGM HD channel and frankly looks rather bad in 14mbps MPEG 2 so a Blu-Ray would be a very big step forward for Khartoum.
Good to see they are showing it in a wider AR than that of the DVD.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
When this was shown in Bradford in 70mm Ultra Panavision and DTS it was only a 5.1 mix on the disc so maybe now they have a full 6-track disc done instead. It looked fantastic on the Cinerama screen.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
When this was shown in Bradford in 70mm Ultra Panavision and DTS it was only a 5.1 mix on the disc so maybe now they have a full 6-track disc done instead. It looked fantastic on the Cinerama screen.
The question of course is if there ever were 5 discrete front channels? This was a big but not a huge production so I am not sure they went with 5 discrete front channels. Saw the same print at the Berlinale and thought that it looked a bit too yellowisch green but it seemed to have a lot of details as far as I could see given the subpar projection equipment that was used. Certainly a movie that I would like to revisit on Blu-Ray.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Oliver, Did you get the intermission in the wrong place as well ?, l also saw this at the NFT in the late 70,s and seem to remember a full 6 track stereo but it was a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks