What's new

Kevin Smith announces "Clerks 2" (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
As a huge Kevin Smith fan - I had to go into Jersey Girl with a clear mind. I had to remain unbiased, if I hated the movie, I hated the movie, regardless of who did it. That being sad, I loved the movie to no end and I would recommend it to anyone.

Ryan

chris rick

Second Unit
Bad bad move, and somewhat hypocritical on Smith's part. He stated that he was done with dick and fart jokes after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was finished, and now this? I am a fan of Kevin Smith, but I also realize that his best work is far behind him--he will never make another movie that equals Chasing Amy. This is dissapointing to say the least coming from a guy who can write so well.

RyanAn

Screenwriter

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but Jason Mewes was an addict of a few different drugs. Kevin Smith promised Jason if he sobered up, he would make a new Jay and Silent Bob related movie, and he is doing as promised. It is not about the money, just look at the budget... It does not have a star-studded cast, just Dante, Randall, Silent Bob and Jay... Walt, Steve-Dave, and the regulars are most likely not going to be in this... so let him make his movie in peace!

Ryan

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about "attention" but stuff as recent as Sweet and Lowdown has been brilliant. And Crimes and Misdemeanors (IMHO his best film) was neither a comedy nor made in the 70s. I'm too lazy to look, but there were a few post '70s Oscar noms as well.

So far as Kevin Smith, yes I am definitely disappointed with a Clerks sequel. Time for new characters! I think that Clerks, Chasing Amy and Mallrats were his three best films. Dogma at least was ambitious. Bob and Silent Jay was a total waste of time: the one good joke in the whole film ("Good Will Hunting II: Hunting Season") was appropriately ragging on sequels -- Smith should follow his own advice and do something new. It can still be low budget and with a no name cast...

Ted

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I really don't understand the complaints against Smith returning to the well. If the movie is bad, then fine, have at him. But will the fact that it's a sequel matter if it turns out to be wonderfully written and acted?

EDIT: That Xtian guy on Kevin's board is a wise one ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I think the problem most people here are having is that they would like Kevin to "grow" as an artist, and move on from the Jersey films, particularly since he had said that he was done.

That being said, Kevin has always set out to make the films he wants to make, and this feels no different. He wants to go back to his roots for a bit, making a small film with a limited cast with characters he's familiar with. Wether or not this is going to the well too much will depend on the final product. Personally, I look forward to any Kevin Smith film.

Jason

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm looking forward to this, although I'm a little disappointed that it's not the animated movie that was long rumored. Based on what Smith says on the above link, there is a good chance that this well expand on the original Clerks (which I agree is a great film) and take it in the direction a Chasing Amy (comedy around a more serious theme.), as opposed to non-stop dick & Fart jokes of J&SBSB.

I like the characters, and well continue to check them out in any incarnation Smith thinks is right.

As far as Green hornett goes, Smith himself says that it's not certain if he well direct it or not. If he honnestly thinks he can't handle it, than he should pass. I'd rather see a great Gh movie than a crappy Kevin smith movie.

ShawnC

Agent
I have no complaint about Smith making Clerks 2. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. However, didn't he say at one time he wouldn't make a true sequel to any of his films? I don't fault him for changing his mind, that's his perogative. What I do fault him for is his total lack of commitment to his other endeavors. To this day I'm waiting for the conclusion to his Spider-man Black Cat comic series from about two years ago! What gives? I enjoy Smith's movies and his comics writing (Daredevil, anyone?), but he reads too much of his press from Wizard (the comics mag that really sucks up to him) and other fans. Smith has an overinflated sense of his own importance in my opinion, and he has been known to whine about getting turned down for movie gigs (anyone remember the Superman movie script fiasco?.) While I enjoy the Jersey movies and some of his comics, I just don't feel that he is nearly as great a talent as the media touts him to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Smith for any projects he chooses to do, I'd just wish he'd finish what he starts and mature as an artist on a personal level. I do not intend to offend any Smith fans and I hope my post isn't understood in that way. I really enjoy most of his work and wish him continued success. In fact, I'll be one of the first in line to see the next Clerks.:)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Man, did he pee in your Wheaties, or something?

From actually seeing him in person, and all of the interviews I've read, he's very self-depriciating about himself, and knows his limitations as a filmmaker.

I've never heard him "whine" about being turned down for movie gigs. (From the way he talks about it, he sounds glad that the whole thing with his Superman script fell through.) In fact, he sounds quite glad that he's allowed to do what he does.

I can't really speak to anything else you say in your message, but he certainly doesn't seem to have the ego that you think he does.

Jason

ShawnC

Agent
I really have nothing against Kevin Smith's work. Honestly I don't! I'm glad to hear that I may be mistaken in my opinion of Mr. Smith and his attitude. Believe it or not, I am a fan of his work, both movies and comics. At least when he completes a project!!:D Since I have never had the opportunity to meet him in person, that's good to hear from someone who has! I feel that his heart is more with film than with writing comics (understandibly so since movies made him famous). This is evidenced with his as of yet unfinished Spidey project for Marvel comics. So, I'll end this post in typical comic book fanboy fashion: Until Kevin Smith finishes the Spidey/Black Cat mini series make mine Marvel!!! Sorry, I just had to put that in! ;)
By the way, thanks for the information Jason, I appreciate it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I recommend renting "An Evening With Kevin Smith", which is basically a "best of" of his college speaking tour. Pretty darn entertaining, and informative.

Jason

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
>I recommend renting "An Evening With Kevin Smith"

Me, too, as well as the disc where he interviews Stan Lee, "Mutants and Monsters", I think.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just watched "evening", when was that taped?
in that, someone asked him what happened to his clerks 2 script, he said it is strikes back.

he also said he would never have jay and bob in a movie again, mostly due to what an awful actor he thinks he is.

in "evening" he does come across as someone who is not full of himself.

when he talks about what happened with the supes script it is a riot from the way he talks about that producer who wanted to hire smith. "A giant spider"?

i'm sure it is scewed(sp) towards his side of the story but even so, you can understand why he didnt get the job.

seemed to be more due to tim burton then kevin smith.

from the smith message board he said, "This is the funniest thing I've ever written. It's also really poignant."

so he apparently has been working on this for awhile.
"- The flick's in both black & white and color."

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

He later promised Mewes that he'd have him playing Jay again if he cleaned up his act. Course, Kevin has said that J&SB will have as much screen time as the first film, which means another cameo type appearance.

Jason

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Same here, although I do like the dynamic of looking at 2 slackers in their 30's when everyone else they know has a career or families or both, and seeing it done from this perspective works for me.

I'll definitely check this out, of course I loved Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy/Dogma/Jay and Silent Bob.

I don't have a problem if Smith is going back to something he knows, if anything that tells me that this particular movie should be pretty good since it comes from his strengths and not his weaknesses. He might become a one note guy, but there are lots of one note guys who have put out stuff that I think is worse than movies like Clerks.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I own this DVD and I think it is a very entertaining and informative show, definitely worth seeing for anyone who considers themselves a fan of his work. Its one of my favorite DVDs in fact, as I find him to be very funny and yet also very engaging when he is telling a story.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There is also a video journal on the site, with lots of Kevin talking, if you enjoy that sort of thing. No real information, but entertaining nonetheless.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks