What's new

Kenwood VR-60RS??? (1 Viewer)

Josh*B

Auditioning
I recently purchased a kenwood VR-60RS and im not too sure if i'm happy with it. Its supposed to be 150w/ch so I plugged in the pair of Paradigm 11SEMK3 speakers that I have and this reciever will not power these speakers at all, as soon as you turn it up a little bit, it shuts itself off. Now the JVC RX-6040 I have did a little better job pushing these and that reciever is only 100w/ch. So that makes me wonder if i wanna keep the Kenwood. Not only that, the menus on the JVC make the kenwood look very basic. The other speakers I use are the JBL EC35 Center, 2 JBL E50 rear speakers, and I was using a pair of old JBL CF100's (which i love) for the fronts on the JVC. Using the CF-100's with the JVC reciever will eventually distort and shut off at really high volume levels, but i could easily blow them with the kenwood, I should also mention that I don't like to use a subwoofer. Any Ideas on a better reciever for around $200?

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Onkyo 503 or panny XR55 would have the most power in that class. I used both to power some pretty heavy loads. The Kenwood you purchased is in reality about 30 watts per channel. The Panny XR55 will put out a true 80 watts per channel and the onkyo will deliver as well...

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"The Kenwood you purchased is in reality about 30 watts per channel."

Where did you get that information? I cant find anything about this model receiver. Based on the reviews ive seen of Kenwood receivers they are usually pretty accurate when it comes to power ratings. I would double check my connections and make sure no bare wires are touching eachother.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
This is not unlike the Kenwood vr-507 and the like which are on the lower end of the Kenwood spectrum. The models with four digits such as the vr-7070, etc are far better and more accurate. Also, many times you cannot say that a brand such as yamaha or Kenwood are are not accurate with their ratings. HK and Onkyo are seemingly fairly standard in their ratings though. Sound and Vison, HT Mag and others reveal specs of real world testing. It will many times depend on a specific model and year...

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Do a search on the Panasonic digital receivers like the SA-XR55K. They can be had for around $220 which is a little more than the Kenwood, but your getting alot more for your money. But, then again, those Paradigms you have are big speakers and probably would benefit from alot of power, which is hard to find for $200. Maybe Dorian can recommend something else in that price range?

Terry Olson

Auditioning
my vr 60rs powers up my skyline 900sl front large speaker format,not as well as my kenwood ka-907,I need a remote for that vr60rs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks