What's new

Kenwood VR-506: Can I have S-Video and RCA vid components and all working? (1 Viewer)

Jamie Bunker

Auditioning
I need some help guys. I just bought an XBox (yah me!). I am hooking it up to my receiver via the standard RCA video in/out to the Video 2 section on my receiver. I seem to get sound but no video. I have tried to plug the thing into my front Aux inputs and the same thing. I should also say that Bell Express Vu (Canadian Satelite) does and has always worked fine via Video 1 and my DVD player works fine going through the DVD setting.

I think I know what the problem is. It appears that my Receiver will not work in a mixed environment, meaning RCA vid and S Video. Right now all of my video connections are S Video. (receiver to TV and receiver to components). As soon as I disconnect the SVHS connection from my receiver to my TV the xbox video works. Unfortuantely, my other devices (Sat Dish and DVD player do not). I have scoured the instructions and no luck. Also looked on the web but cannot find anything either. Anyone have any further suggestions? Also, I do not have a free Svid input connection on my receiver (aside form my front Aux inputs). Only component and RCA inputs are free. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Jamie Bunker

Auditioning
Please, can anyone help me with this? Can I use a mix of RCA Video an Svideo components (xbox, vcr, dvd, Digital Satelite) if my receiver outputs to a tv via an S video connection? I have a Kenwood VR506 receiver.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Can I use a mix of RCA Video an Svideo components (xbox, vcr, dvd, Digital Satelite) if my receiver outputs to a tv via an S video connection
No.

Most receivers will not convert one video type to another.

Since you are sending composite video (single rca cable) to the receiver, you would have to run a composite video cable from the receiver to the TV.

Try running the composite video straight to the TV. You now have to change the TV inputs to see it, but this should work.

The better solution is:

- Buy the Monster cable that offers SVideo output on the XBox or the adaptor from Microsoft that provides SVideo.

Take this output and do one of:

- Run the L/R/SVideo into your SVHS VCR
- Buy something like the Radio Shack switch box that takes L/R/SVideo from 4 sources and outputs it to one. Run the XBox and SVHS outputs into the switcher, then into the receiver where the SVHS unit used to work.

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
All you need is a $5.25 part to solve your problem. Parts Express has an RCA to S-Video adapter (Part #180-141):
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15509&DID=7
Like you, I had everything in my system S-video except my VCR. I bought this adapter and now everything runs to my receiver, and only one s-video cable out to my TV. Now, I don't have to push buttons on my TV remote AND receiver remote when I change video souces (TV, DVD, VCR etc.).
Hope this helps.
JayDaniel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks