What's new

Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET -- the ultimate, merged, when-oh-when thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I would not bother getting the laser as it was released by Columbia, and they had damn near a 100% rot rate during their last few years (not counting the LD's that were pressed by Pioneer, but I believe Columbia did this one). Their transfers towards the end were very lacking for LD as well.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the LD update

I am very keen to get this on DVD

Does anyone have any idea whoi should write to at Warnersto ask them about the DVD

Thanks

Rob

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yep, it's time for another "Where is Hamlet on DVD?" thread!

I saw this once in 35mm and once in 70mm (amazing!) and I will see it every chance I can get. PLEASE release this Warners!

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
This has been on my list for a while. Henry V was feebly released a couple of years ago (barebones, DD Surround only) by MGM. It's a pretty skimpy edition, but hey, it was released. It's near inexcusable that Hamlet is never even mentioned for release.

Please release this one, and release it properly!!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
In the whole film, there is only one scene I don't like- Hamlet's speech in the snow in Denmark. The visual looks off, like a bad matte painting, and the music and the speech are over-exaggerated.

But that's it. In 4 freakin' hours, only one little scene that didn't completely wow me. That is amazing.

I've never seen Gibson's version, but I've seen Olivier, Kevin Klein (who I didn't like), Ralph Fiennes on Broadway, and other performances, and Brannaugh tops them all in my book.

And Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play.

Yeah, sometimes the A-list guest start in the movie got a little much, but I didn't mind it. The film was freakin' fanatastic and I would buy a DVD so fast it would hurt.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

Agree with you, though that scene did not bother me.

I have seen the Gibson Hamelet. I like but don't love it.

I'm actually no great lover of the play, I like it don't get me wrong. I just love this movie as a spectacular and wonderful achievement that brings the bard's work to life.

Rob

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Branagh's Hamlet is one of my most wanted DVDs as well. I thought that 2002 might be the year, but it looks doubtful. Warner really needs to release this!

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
With the news that Universal not bothering to send review copies to Ron combined with major studios withdrawing their advertising I do not feel optimistic for a decent release of Hamlet.

It's a pity that the endless junk titles that come out each week are more important than works of art and genius. I recognize that not everyone considers Branagh's hamlet to be as worthy as I do. However, I think that few would argue that it's an important film in the Shakespeare pantheon and maybe an important film from the last 10 years.

Maybe if i could convince THEM that it's a Billy Crystal comedy they's wake up :)

We will wait and see I guess.

Rob

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How were Freddy Got Fingered and Corky Romano priorities to WB?

Last time I checked, Fox and Touchstone don't have WB release their DVDs.

The reason why this film is probably taking a while is because WB is most likely to transfer from 65mm for best quality. They did this with 2001.

It doesn't help that Castle Rock titles are caught up in rights tangles, either.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick

I think we all hope you are right.

In one of the old studio chats in 2001 it was mentioned that this film would come out in 2002.

I'm now hoping 2003

Rob

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
New word on the Branagh "Hamlet"
From the Digital Bits late update - 4/1/03 - 6:30 PM PST http://www.thedigitalbits.com/
It looks like there may finally be good news for you fans of actor/director Kenneth Branagh's film version of Hamlet. According to People.com's daily news e-mail, Branagh has confirmed with them that the 1996 film is being prepared for DVD release next spring by Warner Bros. Look for the title to include at least some extras. Thanks to the many Bits readers who sent this in.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
While this is great news, it sounds as if the DVD release is a year away, which is a painfully long time. I hope they're putting together a great package.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Hi team,
It's been a while since I posted on the forum. My company has been keeping me more than a little busy. Every few months I start this thread in the vain hope that someone with influence will listen.
Kenneth Branagh created a four hour masterpiece a few years ago. Praised by critics, regularly featured on top ten lists and loved by many.
Yet his Hamlet remains unreleased on DVD.
In 2000 we heard rumors it would be in 2001
In 2001 we heard rumors it would be in 2002
and guess what
this year we heard rumors it would be this year!!!
Digital Bits and others have printed rumors....
But still nothing.
Does anyone have any info that I don't?
For those who consider a 4 hour Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare DVD to be the equivalent to a Steven Seagal movie.... You are in for a pleasant surprise - one day!
Rob
;)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
For those who consider a 4 hour Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare DVD to be the equivalent to a Steven Seagal movie.... You are in for a pleasant surprise - one day!

Or for those of you who have seen this movie and were sorrowful over the accuracy of Robert's comparison with a Segal movie, it will be one more disc to avoid...

Then again, I would probably buy it, but only in the hope that any extensive special features might make up for the several disturbingly poor scenes which ruined the movie for me...

Nah. Nothing will ever make up for that fencing scene.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I think Warners now olds the rights to this film. If they release this they should do another great shakespeare film that they own- Othello with Laurence Olivier. Incredible performance from him and Maggie Smiths Desdemona is just perfect.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
I agree - let's get Larry's great works out there.

However, the scale and majesty of Branagh's Hamlet is just begging for a decent DVD release.

Does anyone know anything re possible dates?

Rob

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I agree, Branagh's version of Hamlet deserves to be on DVD. It's great! A good running commentary by Branagh and Kate Winslet would be nice to listen to. And they'd have to have the 10-minute preview trailer as well. Any other supplements you can think of?
But my wish is to see a wonderful new DVD edition of Franco Zeffirelli's 1990 version of Hamlet with Mel Gibson and Glenn Close. That was just the best, in my opinion. Warner Bros. released it in 1990, so they should still hold the rights to it. And they'd have to include the HBO specials "Classic Mel Gibson: The Making of Hamlet" and "Mel Gibson Goes Back to School" as two great supplements to the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks