What's new

Kef or NHT (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
Its time again to purchase new speakers. I have narrowed my desision down between the NHT Supertwo and the Kef Q7. I have not had much of a chance to hear the Q7's, have had more Q5 time. I am hoping that the Q7's aren't boomy with that big 6x9 driver(please set my mind at ease). I have had exceptional experiences with both of these speakers. They both image well, but are fairly different sounding speakers. I am somewhat concerned that while watching movies I may run out of amplifier for the NHT's, being that my H/K AVR320 is only 55x5. I'm not really concerned about if for music though. I also wish the NHT's came in a woodgrain finish. So there's my dilema...The Supertwo's or Q7's(and matching center of coarse).

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
I do not find the Q7s to be boomy. My brother has them powered with a Marantz 9200.

Bri~A

Agent
I too do not find the Q7s to be boomy. From what I have head from others placement due to the rear porting of the Q7s is somewhat crucial and the "boominess" is typically a result of the speaker's backs being to close to a wall. I have been very happy with my Q-series surround setup. If you are looking for a more laid-back, British sounding speaker I would not hesitate to recomend these. Good luck w/ the decision.

Nick L

Second Unit
Well I went to the local stereo shop and did some comparing. They don't carry the Kef only the NHT's. I compared the NHT ST-4's and the B&W 603s3's. I really liked them both, but I think I came away with a better impression of the B&W's. They had a sweeter midrange that I really liked, more so than the NHT's. So for comparison sake now, I think its going to be between the Kef Q7 and the B&W 603s3. From what I understand they should be fairly similar speakers. Hopefully I'll get some more time this weekend to do a good comparison. Feel free to comment if you have had any exerience with these two speakers. I always look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Nick L

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
NHT's love power so as much as I love em, you won't be happy driving them a 55 watt HK. HK probably has a better chance at driving NHT's than most other brands however but you would need the 525 at least. What was driving the ST4's and 603's in the demo?

Nick L

Second Unit
I will admit I demo'd them in two different rooms. The NHT's were being driven by a Pioneer Elite vsx-41 and the B&W's were being driven by a Denon 3803. I am going to go back in on Saturday and do an a/b test with them both hooked up to some good two channel equipment. Then I'm going to head over and listen to the Kef Q's.

I have an AVR320 for my reciever. Do you think that would be enough to power the St-4's? What NHT's do you have and what are you powering them with?

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks