What's new

Keeping 3803 OSD with HDTV Line Doubling (1 Viewer)

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this belongs here or in the amp forum.

I'm considering buying the Pioneer SD643HD5. I have the Denon 3803 receiver that has an on-screen display (OSD) overlay. Some of the (IMHO) critical OSD dissapears (I'm really interested in the volume display) when you go component cable, as noted elsewhere in the HTF.

I am currently coming from a Denon 900 DVD using s-video to the amp and then s-video to a non-HDTV. This is working fine and I get the full OSD. Obviously, it is a 480i signal all the way.

Question: If I keep this set-up, and use the Pioneer line doubler to take the 480i to 480p, will the full OSD still be there?

Is there something I am giving up? Am I being dumb about this? Is there a better solution?

I have read that the Pioneeer line doubler is very good, but I feel a little foolish having a progressive scan DVD, HDTV, and component connection on the amp and still using s-video all the way. But, I am not willing to lose the OSD, especially the volume display of the 3803.

Thanks, you folks rock!!!!!!

KenRen

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You will keep the OSD ... but why feed the TV an inferior signal just to keep the OSD?

Keep your sights set on the optimal image quality ... and stop compromising.

If the DVD player feeds the TV a degraded 80% signal, the TV ain't never gonna recover that missing 20% no matter how good it is. You are pretty much doing this.

Regards

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure the Pioneer will ine double s-video? I've never heard of a TV that can line double anything but component. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The TV cannot display 480i natively. It only does 480p and 1080i.

All 480i signals are converted by the TV to 480p and then displayed.

Regards

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
To elaborate on my fellow mod's comments:

The Pioneer set will upconvert to 480p (or "line-double") whatever signal you feed it. That includes component 480i, S-video, composite, even an RF feed from cable or antenna.

The fact that you lose the OSD through component connections has nothing to do with the TV's line-doubling. It's a function of the receiver. Most of the receivers and pre/pros that I've seen do not display any OSD with component signals. Those that do (e.g., the Lexicon MC-8) use some sort of workaround that forces a change in the display mode, such that the OSD cannot be superimposed over the image and the switch between OSD and the image can be quite jarring.

I'm with the other Michael on this one: You should feed the display the best possible quality signal, and accept that you'll lose the OSD when doing so. Or you could start searching for a new receiver or pre/pro that will pass an OSD through component connections. (Good luck, though; even the Lex doesn't display the volume control through component connections, just certain information about the audio signal.)

M.

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, Michael, et al,

Ouch, I was afraid I was being a little dumb about this. I agree with you, get a good de-interlacing DVD and run the component connections to the TV.

Got the 643 last night. (took 3 guys and a gal to get it out of the truck) This thing to huge!

With my old analog 4:3 set, I had no option for 480P even though I have a progressive DVD. With the Pioneer 643, now I have this option and am ready for DTV to boot.

In the meantime, I can run the s-video,keep my OSD, and line double the 480i from my DVD.

In honor of your comments, I will gradually wean myself off of the OSD and purchase a new DVD with a good de-interlacer and 3:2 pull-down. The, I assume I will be off to the races and can feed an excellent 480p to the TV. If I can't stand not having the OSD (volume), I will always have the option to go back.

Best of both worlds.

Thanks much,

KenRen

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
purchase a new DVD with a good de-interlacer and 3:2 pull-down
Why? You already have a Denon 900 that does progressive scan with 3:2 pulldown detection. You don't need a new DVD player.

IOW, you can already "can feed an excellent 480p to the TV". It's just that you've decided to feed it an inferior signal for the sake of the OSD.

Do yourself a favor: Pick a DVD you know very well, preferably something with lots of detail in the image and a lot of motion. Watch it through the S-video, line-doubled by the TV. Then watch it again in progressive scan through the component inputs. If you don't see much of a difference in the image, then you'll know that sticking with S-video works for you. But if you do see a difference . . .

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks