What's new

Karate Kid Remake? Starring Will Smith Jr! (1 Viewer)

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
All I know is that Joe Esposito had BETTER be on board with this. "You're the Best Around" is clearly the greatest montage music ever to grace the silver screen.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I never really got this whole notion of "Reimangined for a new generation of fans" idea, why not just show them the original?

Kids will watch pretty much anything and if they are young enough and not yet very critical chances are better that they will enjoy it.

Take Disney's classics for example, why did we never get animated remakes of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Lady and the Tramp or Bambi?

Kids watch those older films and eat them up to this day, I never understood why they wouldn't enjoy live action classics like, say, The Karate Kid? It still has very accessible themes that are relevant today, school bullying, the strength of friendship etc.

I like to think of myself as being open to remakes but in my strong opinion this isn't one we need, I don't care for the idea and I certaintly don't care for the casting.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

I think the motivation is more "hey ... this franchise made a lot of money back in the day .... lets dress it up in modern clothing for a new theaterical release!".

If they want to bring it back, I think they should offer Ralph Macchio a role. Maybe not in the "Miyagi-sensei" role per se, but perhaps he could play a teacher or something.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
John, if a kid is brought up to watch "older" films then I think he/she would. If not then it's doubtful. I always defend younger people about classic movies but it really depends on the parents.

Plus, to me, movies aren't movies anymore. The studios are catering to people who get some cash from mom and dad on the weekends and they meet up with their friends at the movies. They want to watch something "current" and that's why these remakes do so well.

I don't understand what the problem is because fans of the original are going to get a new DVD and a new generation will at least hear about the original. Whether or not they go watch it is another thing but I'm sure these older versions have gained new fans from the remakes.

The original KARATE KIDS is never mentioned in the media. No one "young" could have heard about it unless a parent showed it to them. The original film, due to the remake, will get back into the media and this is the only way it could have happened.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I very much agree with this. I remember walking out of Peter Jackson's King Kong and a little kid, jazzed from seeing the film, asked his parents if they could go rent the "old black & white one".

And let's no forget that without these re-imaginings, we wouldn't have gotten classics such as The Thing and The Fly which are both arguably even more famous than their originals. I know that 90% of the case they don't turn out that good. But every so often we get a decent one (ie. King Kong, Dawn of the Dead).

Pete-D

Screenwriter
It's a bit hard to get too worked up or offended by this anyway. Karate Kid III and TNKK were really ... really ... bad. The Karate Kid was just pure pop entertainment, nothing more, nothing less, this new movie would really have to try to be worse than KKIII.

It was basically "Rocky for the younger set" chok full of 80s romance/pop soundtrack and the whole sorta strange 80s fetish for all things relating to Asian culture (see also: The Gremlins, Temple of Doom, etc.).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I disagree with this (at least I think I do since I can't tell from your post if your a fan of the film or not).

The original is a classic that stands as a testimate to friendship, first love and the need to prove one's self against great odds, even if it means getting your ass kicked.

Here's what I know, I have no children but if I did I would introduce my son or daughter to the original film in a hot minute since it meant so much to me growing up, if they watch it and don't care for it then fine but it won't be from lack of trying on my part.

IMO that's what classics are for, to pass along to other generations to enjoy just as you did, not just assume that they somehow won't be good enough or accessible enough to modern children.

It is a good thing that a remake will probably spark intrest in younger people to check out the original but I also feel that by seeing the remake first it will color their opinion of the original and that latter far outweighs the former.

I guess i'm just tired of this desire to negate classics and put expiration dates on them, by doing that it cheapens them and robs them of their purpose.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, this is the route you always take. Sure we can say that virtually any film ever made has some influence of other things ... JAWS is MOBY DICK ... but that's arguing semantics, and we know that something like JAWS was still pretty darn original in 1975, despite its influences and origins.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

Hey, I loved the film growing up, any kid growing up during the 80s knew the movie off by heart. I like the second Karate Kid a lot as well.

But to be honest it's not exactly a sacred cow. It was the butt end of jokes in movies like "There's Something About Mary". The Godfather it ain't, though I can appreciate your love for the movie.

There's nothing the prevents "pop entertainment" movies from having good themes and a solid storyline. Pop entertainment when well done ... there's nothing wrong with that. A cheeseburger isn't a steak, but sometimes you just want a good cheeseburger.

But again Karate Kid III and The Next Karate Kid already embarrassed the "franchise", I'm not sure why there's so much concern that this new movie would come along and sully that. What I don't think they can do is I don't they can "remake" the mix of pop culture nuances, romance, soundtrack, etc. the original had. I think Pat Morita obviously is irreplaceable. That movie does have timeless themes sure, but it's very much a product of the 80s (in a good way).

If anything though this "remake" would likely get kids to go back and watch the originals on DVD, especially if they do give Ralph Macchio some kind of role.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

Well yes and no. I'm sure older generations probably would look at us as kids and shake their heads at us watching "The Karate Kid" and not appreciating classics from 20-30 years prior, lol.

Though I do think the movies probably have some kind of following with younger kids, I see them on TV all the time.

The one remake I sort of dread but I sense is inevitable is "Back to the Future". I guess the fun thing they could do is set the story in modern day and have the characters time travel back to 1985.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

That's actually my point, if someone has grown up with the film then he or she probably owns it on DVD and it shouldn't take a remake to twist their arm to show it to their kids, they should already be eager to do so when the child is old enough to understand the films themes.

I know that if I were a parent i'd be counting the days until I could show them my favorite films growing up, not allow some needless remake to give me the greenlight or the idea. It's actually just common sense, you love a film, you own it, your eager to share it with others, it's what every film fan does.

On another note, The Exorcist (BTW I *DARE* someone to try to remake that!) was also the butt of many jokes in films, hell entire parody films, most notably Repossessed starring Linda Blair, have been made about it but it still has the power to scare the living piss out of me lol.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator

Dink, dink, dink! Is anyone there? Mike has summed up thoughts on TKK perfectly as far as I am concerned. Why is everyone commenting on a movie that's not even marketed to you.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
And because some of us are sick and tired of there being so many of these needless remakes, which continue to come and are only going to continue, the more we excuse them*

*Yes, and this is coming from the same guy who intends to see FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 11 :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Me too hehe. I mean come on, Jason looking like a mutant back-woods redneck freak again and on top of that he RUNS!

How can any self respecting 'Friday' fan resist?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Right! With the F13 series, it's just a guy in a hockey mask offing dumb kids. I don't care what they call the movie or do to it, as long as that's what's going on.

The F13 series, much as I like it, is a great case where the first "line" of films is finished. There is nowhere else to go. I think the series ended perfectly with JASON X (I feel FREDDY VS JASON occurs netween JASON GOES TO HELL and JASON X) , and where Jason winds up. A perfect solution. I'm ready for a reboot of sorts here, but this is only one in a zillion cases where I think it's a good idea.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree, Joe.

I also agree with you about where 'FvsJ' falls in the series, I have them in order that way on my shelf. As far as i'm concerned it's more a 'Friday' film than a 'Nightmare' film.

But anyway, The Karate Kid...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks