What's new

JVC's Quick Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
When I was on the JVC website I noticed that on the new RX-7030VBK & the RX-8030VBK that they have something called "Quick Speaker Setup" which says, "The user can easily setup their system simply by inputing the number of speakers and the room size, then the receiver will do the rest." Anybody know if this is something like Pioneer's system? or what other new receiver's will have something like the Pioneer sytem? I also noticed on the JVC's that they have done away with the on-screen menu system for setting up the receiver & speakers.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Bill,

The Pioneer system is done with a microphone that comes with the receiver.
One places the mike at the listening position as close as possible to where one's head would be, and select auto setup on the onscreen display. The speakers emit various test tones for about 6 minutes or so and the receiver figures out what speakers are connected, and sets individual speaker delays, speaker size, volume levels, and does a 5 band equalization. I double checked my Pioneer's auto settings with my RS SPL meter and AVIA and it was spot-on. It did set my speakers as large while I prefer to set them as small. I have no difficulty setting receivers up manually with the meter and AVIA, but the eq that the Pioneer did was a huge improvement over what I could do manually. I can't recommend this feature highly enough.

It sounds to me like the JVC figures out what speakers are hooked up by checking for resistance at speaker terminals and maybe does a rough delay setting based on room size? Unless it comes with a microphone either built into the remote or on a wire plugged into the front of the receiver it can't do nearly as good a job as one could do with a meter and AVIA.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Steve, I know how the Pioneer system works that's why I wondered what the JVC system was? If the system works the way you think it might then it's ashame that they got rid of the on-screen menu system. But I guess that's the price you have to pay for them adding the 6 channel amp & increasing the watts per channel. Plus the older JVC's were the cheapest receiver's that I know of that could output the receiver's menu system through the Component Video Output.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had a Pioneer Elite VSX45-TX since last December.

They are now releasing a new model in their lower priced line (912K, I think) that sells for under $400 and also has the MCACC feature, minus the EQ part.

To me the EQ is the main advantage of MCACC over manual calibration with AVIA an a Radio Shack meter, so the version on the 912 would be of benefit mainly to those who have difficulty with the meter and AVIA procedure.

Considering that the vast majority of folks getting into HT for the first time are not even aware of AVIA and Radio Shack meters, the MCACC on the 912 will still be a real benefit for lots of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks