What's new

JVC HDMI Problem (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
schan1269 said:
I highly doubt that. But ever since Sony went "i-manual" they've left out every single "note" that every other manufacturer includes in a paper manual that says you only get 2.0 from incoming HDMI.

Besides, you don't get lossless at all, even if DD does work. And you won't get DTS either, as the TV can't support DTS.
So when my receiver shows Dolby Digital 5.1 on it screen you think it's lying to me?

His receiver doesn't do lossless so thats a moot point.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To the OP. Not sure what to tell you.

I went through this myself yesterday swapping out a BD player and two DVD players down to one region free BD and a DVD player that does DSD over HDMI.

I turned everything off, flipped the power switch to the "electronics wall", let it all sit while I brewed some coffee.

With my cup of coffee in hand, took about 45 minutes swapping out and dusting at the same time. That was with the power out for 20 minutes already.

An hour later it was time to flip the power switch and turn stuff on. I had no problems and I was shocked. One of the items I swapped in was a Pioneer/Elite DV49. Thankfully it wasn't the "HDMI rain dance and seance" the outgoing DV420 was.

And to Roland. Every single other TV I've ran across(I haven't dealt with a Sony TV since Sony became irrelevant 8 years ago) does not pass 5.1 from incoming HDMI. They even say so in the manual. Maybe Sony plays nice with the PS3 in that regard. Anyway, using your TV "as the AV hub" is never done...ever.

Juan Pegler

Auditioning
I am also clueless at this point. But I do appreciate you trying. I am going to mark this as "solved" Because I will just be happy that I don't have to get rid of my sound or TV and that I can use it VIA Optical.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
schan1269 said:
...And to Roland. Every single other TV I've ran across(I haven't dealt with a Sony TV since Sony became irrelevant 8 years ago) does not pass 5.1 from incoming HDMI. They even say so in the manual. Maybe Sony plays nice with the PS3 in that regard. Anyway, using your TV "as the AV hub" is never done...ever.
It is done when your TV is 3D ready and your old receiver is not. This is my setup for the Sony TV in the family room. The Sony does have an option to send the sound to the TV speakers or "audio system". If TV is selected, the receiver gets 2.0. If "audio system" is selected, its 5.1.

The manual does say it passes 5.1, see below

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanual/NA/EN/2a-15/speakermenu_uc_col.html

For my home theatre room, I connect cable box, Blu-ray 3D and HD-DVD players to my Denon receiver through HDMI and then HDMI from receiver to Panasonic AE8000 projector.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
schan1269 said:
And your link says "output TV sound".Not audio from something else.
Give it up Sam. You lost. Admit it. It says "Dolby Digital" and displays 5 speakers and the sub woofer on the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No I haven't "lost".

You have a PS3 connected to a Sony TV. Maybe Sony lets HDMI 5.1 audio pass from Sony products.

Your TV is in the .04%* of TV out there that pass 5.1 from incoming HDMI. Period, end of story.

*And yes...
.04%

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
schan1269 said:
:rolleyes:

You are the one missing out on lossless audio and DTS with the connection the way it is.

Or do you just use your PS3 as a glorified Roku...
I'm not missing out on anything.

If I want lossless and DTS for sound, watch a 2D or 3D movie, I go to my home theatre room with a 138 inch wide screen.

If I want to play a video game or watch a TV show in my family room, I have my 55 inch Sony and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RolandL said:
I'm not missing out on anything.

If I want lossless and DTS for sound, watch a 2D or 3D movie, I go to my home theatre room with a 138 inch wide screen.

If I want to play a video game or watch a TV show in my family room, I have my 55 inch Sony and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound.
Oh, so you expect your compromised secondary system to be the answer for everyone else...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks