What's new

Just wondering...what would you buy on Amazon if you had a $75 gift certificate? (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I just received an Amazon gift certificate for $75 and I can think of a million things I would like to buy. Part of me says spend it wisely, part of me says spend it on a "splurge" item that I wouldn't ordinarily get for myself.

Just curious: how would YOU spend a free $75 gift certificate on Amazon?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, last holiday season I had a $120 Amazon gift card and used it towards an Oppo 980H upconverting DVD Player ($170). For my birthday this summer, my wife gave me a $50 Amazon card, and I put it towards the Star Trek Season 2 BluRay set.

So, maybe get a BluRay set you normally wouldn't splurge on.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin

I just received an Amazon gift certificate for $75 and I can think of a million things I would like to buy. Part of me says spend it wisely, part of me says spend it on a "splurge" item that I wouldn't ordinarily get for myself.

Just curious: how would YOU spend a free $75 gift certificate on Amazon?
Bob,

I would pick up some Beatles DVDs that I have yet to own. I might also splurge for some VHS tapes of a show that I collect, or a rare film or two that have not made the transition to DVD.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I would buy a Klondike bar.

It's hard to really answer. I would probably get a game and a CD or two that I've been putting off. I'm not looking for anything right now, but I'm sure something would come to mind if I had a GC.

Oh, yeah. A friend of mine did send me one for my birthday a few months ago. I spent it immediately on a couple of books that had been on my wish list for ages and a CD I had been eyeing. That's the kind of thing I would spend it on.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As of right now, I'd pick up a biography on John Holmes, The Stepfather (1987) DVD, a couple of comic book trade paperbacks and a Ramones tribute CD. And if there was anything left, I'm sure I could find a few Blu-rays to pick up.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
While it is a little more than $75, the Complete Calvin and Hobbes box set would be a possibility.

However, being so close to the holiday season, I would probably hold off buying anything for myself and use it for Christmas gifts.

-Keith

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Ya know what, I think I might go the "good husband" route and just buy my wife a gift. Her birthday is coming up, and she is a big reader. She has occasionally mentioned an interest in the Kindle ebook reader, and I see the Kindle 2 is out now. $75 off makes that high price a bit easier to take!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
That's a good idea, but only if the wife gives you something in return.

Speaking of Kindles, Amazon is doing a Wish List sweepstakes where Kindles are some of the prizes.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for the tip, I never saw the need to make a wishlist but a chance at a free Kindle makes this a no-brainer.

Regardless, I'm sure the wife will be grateful.

evertec

Auditioning
Real Name
jonathan
mmm, kindle is nice, the new nook looks like it might even be better though

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by evertec

mmm, kindle is nice, the new nook looks like it might even be better though
It looks nice, but check out the prices on B&N e-books. As a Kindle owner, I was interested in the Nook. Browsed over at B&N and found their prices to be generally higher, and in some cases much, much higher - as in double the Amazon price. I'm sticking to my Kindle.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I Coinstarred all the loose change jars in my house and came up with an Amazon e-certificate for $146! That plus the $75 certificate made the Kindle very affordable.
(By the way, I also pre-ordered the new Stephen King book "Under the Dome" for myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks