What's new

Just switched to Charter telephone (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
We have been trying to lower our monthly bills for some time now and yesterday I got a call from Charter with an offer I felt I couldn't refuse: digital cable with the exact same package I have now ( every movie channel they offer plus the HD tier with DVR), 5Meg internet, and telephone service, all for $119.97 a month for two years!
I have resisted these calls in the past as I felt At&T telephone service was reliable and was hesitant to use V.O.I.P but this deal saves us $100 a month and will save $2,500 over the two year plan. I had been paying around $178 a month just for cable and internet and then $60 for telephone.
I have a fear of the unknown and am wondering if I did the right thing, does anyone else have any experience with cable telephone?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I work on a virtual team that is spread across the US. Most everyone except me is on voice over IP. Sometimes the calls sound like they are in a well. Othertimes they need to reboot their router. I pay more for my POTS (plain old telephone service) but it works every time.

-Robert

mylan

Screenwriter
Umm, yikes! If that is what I have to look forward to I may reconsider, however, Charter did say they were on a private network as opposed to Vonage being public ( or something like that).

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've been using VOIP for years. For the last couple I've had ATT CallVantage. It's been very reliable. Once in the 2 years they had a substantial network issue that took several hours to fix. Other than that, it's been reliable enough for work and home. The issues with echo's and things like that on conference calls have been in my experience issues with the conference call provider rather than issues with VOIP. You of course need reliable broadband service for VOIP to be reliable.

mylan

Screenwriter
Thanks for another point of view. I've had cable internet since 1999 and it used to be buggy but has since gotten much better, I am still using the original RCA modem I bought for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread