What's new

Just saw Moulin Rouge... (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Moulin Rouge is definitely a "love it or hate it" film: there's no middle ground. I'm in the latter catagory.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've personally never seen a film that so divided viewers. I personally love the film and was surprised when some of my friends, whose opinions I respect couldn't stand it. One conclusion that I've come up with is that this film, to be truly appreciated, should be viewed either on the big screen or a very nice home theater system. It just relies too much on audio/visual qualities to be fully realized on a 25" Zenith T.V. using a VCR.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
It is a ghastly, ghastly film. I cannot say it often enough
Gee, maybe if you say it often enough, those of us who love it and think it's brilliant will...well, realize even more how wrong you are. :D
It's not for everybody. Some people just don't have the mindset/heartset to appreciate it. That's fine, but has nothing to do with the FILM ITSELF.

Steve Tack

Agent
I somehow mananged to make it all the way through the movie, but I would have rather had red hot pokers jammed into both of my eyes. Just goes to show how subjective these things are and how futile the whole idea of a "review" really is.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Just goes to show how subjective these things are and how futile the whole idea of a "review" really is.
Miguel De Cervantes wrote: "The proof of the pudding is in the taste". Nobody can tell you how good or bad something tastes, you have to try it for yourself. Same with movies.

Bruce

Eric T

Second Unit
I am one of those who was blown away by this film. I am not a big fan of musicals, but I thought this was just superb.

The things that impressed me the most were the editing and the supporting actors - especially Zidler (Jim Broadbent). I actually watched some of the credits to find out who he was.

Shelley Douglas

Auditioning
I'm apparently on the "hate it" side.
And I did see it in the theater. Thought it was just as described above, "ghastly." Then another writer hit the other emotion elicited by this film, "annoyance."
So a friend talked me into believing that I must have just been in a bad frame of mind, and brought over her DVD and we watched.
Even more annoying. I finally could not take one more minute of the film and went into the kitchen to make pudding. So I could taste it. So I could prove to myself, I STILL didn't like the movie.
My DVD Collection - Moulin Rouge-free

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I loved, loved, loved this movie. What's funny is the same situation described by few people here happened to me. I had very little intrest in seeing the film, until a good friend of mine brought his copy over. Soon, I was out buying a copy of my very own.

I can't help but try to overcome the negative comments about this film by stating how great this movie is.

If you haven't seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to check it out at least once.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: That is absolute bullshit. It has everything to do with the film itself. Its dismissive and rude to assume that someone who dislikes Moulin Rouge is lacking the ability to appreciate a film of its type. There are countless reasons for disliking it, and not being able to connect with it as a piece of storytelling is merely one of them.
Why must a film's devoted followers defend it to the point of insult?

Matt_Wizall

Agent
I just watched it tonight, actually. As a story, I thought it was enjoyable, but probably not worth owning. The acting was fabulous (Jim Broadbent is amazing) and the choreography was impressive, but the story itself seemed been-there, done-that. I guess I can appreciate the filmmaking, but I wouldn't call it the best picture I've seen by any stretch. Of course, I have a very minimal A/V setup so that might have played a part in submerging me in the experience...
Perhaps it's just my unrefined taste striking again ;)
I can see why some people do love it, though.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Its dismissive and rude to assume that someone who dislikes Moulin Rouge is lacking the ability to appreciate a film of its type.
If someone's not into classical music and then claims that Mozart's music is "ghastly," does that mean that Mozart's music is indeed, ghastly? No, it means that the listener is not able to appreciate Mozart's music at that particular time. If, 20 years later, the listener is of the mindset to appreciate classical music, then listens to Mozart's music and then claims that it's brilliant, the music hasn't changed, the listener's perception has changed.

That's not an insult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks