1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just out of curiousity, is total HD dead?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by JohnPhi, Jun 6, 2007.

1. JohnPhi

JohnPhi Well-Known Member

I remember warner talking about their new disk, but i thought it was supposed to be out by now. Is it gone?

2. ppltd

ppltd Well-Known Member

I have seen no word from Warner on this in a long time.

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

Shhhh. If they've forgotten, please don't remind them. [​IMG]

4. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Well-Known Member

It is hopefully dead.Maybe it didn't work

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Don't count on Total HD being dead yet. The first releases weren't supposed to show up until August, if memory serves.

6. ppltd

ppltd Well-Known Member

I wouldn't either. But Warner has been very quite on the subject.

7. Chris S

Chris S Well-Known Member

Chris S
    I was wondering the same thing just the other day. I would expect that if the August time frame is still valid we should have an announcement for the first releases by the end of June.

8. TwoKings

TwoKings Well-Known Member

there was a nasty rumor a few days ago of titles like Batman Begins on Total HD...

I will just continue to pray they are false.

9. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Well-Known Member

The last I heard regarding "TotalHD" was that Warner was trying to see how feasible dual-layer on each side was going to be. (The initial August releases were supposed to be up to dual layer on the HD-DVD side, but just single layer on the BD side.)

And the "single layer on both side" releases *were* supposed to start in June. So those discs are already late based on that timetable.

Here's the most recent article I can find regarding "TotalHD":
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/03/16...etails-emerge/

I still think the concept is poor ... unless either Disney or Fox jumps in. If that were to happen then I could see TotalHD discs actually having a chance to "save the bacon" for all the Studios and Hardware Manufacturers currently engaged in the war; and could even give HD optical disc a decent "window" before HD-VOD takes over. But I bet the odds of either Disney or Fox (or even Universal) embracing TotalHD within the next 18 months are less than 1% - and that's even if the tech problems with dual layer for both formats on each side can be overcome. (And I bet they can't - at least not if decent yields are needed.)

Ya' know, what would have been really neat is if there had been only one HD format released initially. Then nobody would even be considering trying to develop a tech nightmare like "TotalHD".

10. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Well-Known Member

Until then, I guess we're stuck with our 'Partial HD' disks? [​IMG]

11. Jon Moss

Jon Moss Well-Known Member

Let's hope they've put a cooler on things, following all the trouble Universal have been having with their Children of Men/Good Shepherd combos.

It seems to be hard enough to put an HD-DVD/DVD disc together, let alone a HD-DVD/Blu-ray one!! I think the studios are trying to push the disc formats too far and reaping the complications as a result.

In the end although it's supposed to bridge the gap & ease the "format war", it'll just be another HD format on the shelves to confuse people. I can just see J6P trying to play the Blu-ray side in their HD-DVD player, then returning the disc as it doesn't play.

12. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with Total HD is that at the moment blu-ray seems to be having some manufacturing capacity issues, and if that is going to slow down the release of Warner Bros. films on HD DVD then I say forget it till they can work out the blu-ray end.

Doug