What's new

Just how "limited" are Limited Edition DVDs? - Lawrence of Arabia (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
Is "Limited Edition" just a name, or does it actually imply that they only made a certain number and when they're gone, they're gone? More specifically, I was wondering about Lawrence of Arabia. I just saw it and now I want to buy it, but will I be able to find it? And how long are they going to keep making that nifty "book" style cover for it?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Technically, every DVD is a limited edition when you think about it. I mean, they're going to produce only so many copies of The Iron Giant, or Moulin Rouge. Eventually, they'll be superceded by a newer release with some extra features, or they'll be discontinued when a better format comes along.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Army of Darkness is limited only in the number of different packaging combos they can come up with. 2 Disk LE, single disc, director's edition single disc, super special edition, and Army of Darkness: The version you haven't seen before. ;)
It has gotten to the point where it means absolutely nothing.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It depends on who defines limited:

Limited with a serial number: Only that amount have been produced.

"Limited" Snow White: Only on the shelf for a certain time

"Limited" Laurence of Arabia: Not really limited at all, just a simple marketing trick.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
In the UK Lawrence of Arabia was never limited

However Columbia are pulling this trick with the Limited Edition 2 disk of Men in Black. Bought on issue when they had both this and the single collectors on sale.

However a year later the Limited Edition is still on sale after disappearing for a period and they are definitely pressing more copies as most retailers are now selling new stock of it in promotions etc at 1/2 price, but still with original packaging unchanged packaging saying Limited Edition !

The only true limited is with Anchor Bay etc when you get a numbered copy with a known edition run. Although they do reissue the same title in different guises.

Fox for their boxsets in the UK do number them but with no declared upper limit on numbers ! as they are still supplying Alien and Omen boxsets which are individually numbered but just getting higher numbers.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Malcom,
I suspect that the reason for the amount of copies of the Men In Black Limited Edition that we always see floating around over here is more to do with retailers not been able to shift any. I remember reading at the time that it was released that sales on it where low. I suspect that Columbia over estimated the demand on this one and thats why there's always a copy of it in every sale.
As for limited editions I wish companies wouldn't do them. I feel that they should be always on the market so any newcomers to the DVD scene can always get DVD's that they would like. Say, for instance, I just bought a player and wanted to get the longer cut of the The Wicker Man. I should just be able to order or buy the wooden box version and not be expected to pay e-bay prices.
Richard

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "Limited Edition" monicker in Columbia Tri-Star's case( pun intended) is more true to the word than is given credit. Consider Bridge on the River Kwai. You can find the "book" version (2-disc set) along with a one disc set as well.
A good speculation would be that these so-called limited editions from Columbia Tri-Star had a large pressing from the beginning (in the 100,000 to 200,000). That may explain why you still see Lawrence of Arabia discs out in "book" form. Stores still haven't sold those discs yet. I'm pretty sure down the road they'll release one-disc sets of Lawrence of Arabia. Compare this number to say the 50000? copies of Suspiria.
I have no hard facts to back this up, only my take on the matter. The cynic in me (which I've thought I've beaten to death) would surely love to say that it's all a marketing gimmic. As for Men In Black Limited Edition, I don't see those in large quantities anymore, particularly in general stores like Target or Wal-Mart. I still see them in Suncoast and whatnot (anybody want to take a good guess why?), which helps support my speculation that the reason anybody still sees these "limited editions" is because of large initial pressings.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Remember when Steven Spielberg was still holding out on DVD? It was a time when he shared bashing honors here along with George Lucas. Then, lo and behold, Saving Private Ryan was announced. It would be a "limited edition"-only offering. Some of us thought it would only be available for a few months.

Well, it's still here. As long as a title sells, it will be available. Only Buena seems hellbent on making "limited edition" a for-real appelation.

MarcD

Auditioning
It can be said the metal-cased Terminator II is a limited edition. All I see on shelves are the non-metal versions.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it may be semantics but snow white isn't or wasn't limited to a shelf time but to how long it will be made. which it has stopped being made.it can still be found on shelves.
"Limited" Snow White: Only on the shelf for a certain time

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know the exact significance either, but I do agree with what Dome speculates to.
The Bridge on the River Kwai is offered in a Limited Edition, and it is a two disc set. They also offer the non limited edition which is a single disc.
This is not the case with LOA, as it is only offered as a "Limited Edition". Nonetheless, I do love that "book" style cover with the "sand" color to it!
Limited or not, buy it now! You wont regret it!
:)

Back in the laser days I bought an autographed copy of Phantasm. There were only 5000 pressed. 2500 signed 2500 regular. To me that’s Limited Edition. They just want us to run out the first day and buy a copy because its (Limited). It’s all marketing BS. Remember those commercials about buying those Disney titles before there taken off the shelf? I still trip over them in BJ’s.

By the way, the Phantasm was signed by the director & The Tall Man…

jr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks