What's new

Just how bad are the Little House On The Prarie sets? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
was never a fan of the show, but i caught the first series ep over the holidays on TVLand and really enjoyed it and realized how much i've been craving entertainment that is more spiritually nutritous or uplifting.
of course i hated the show as a kid so i have no previous experience with it in depth.

i say that because i was reading reviews over on Amazon that mention the episodes on the dvd sets are butchered.
for fans of the show is it worth picking these up at all now?
how much material is generally cut per ep-if you don't know whats missing are you going to miss it? and how is the A/V quality aside from that?
also is the first season a strong one?

Allison

Auditioning
I haven't even bothered to pick up the LHOTP sets because the first...I think two season sets aren't captioned. :angry: I am hearing impaired, by the way, and I depend on captioning to enjoy a TV program. The later seasons are captioned, but it's not very fair to me that the first few aren't captioned. :thumbsdown:

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
We have the 9 seasons that are available on DVD.

My main beef with them is the packaging. 6 discs per season in thin-paks that you have to fold all the way out to access them.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems with these sets. To me, episode for episode, Season 1 is probably one of the strongest seasons for the series.

I honestly didn't know that any of them were captioned.

I am also unaware if the episodes are edited in anyway.

JKS

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I sort of forgive them the mistakes of the first two seasons, as I believe that was Imavision's first major DVD release. They were quick to address most of the issues. The two specific problems were:

No title sequence on most episodes
No captioning

They fixed both problems from season 3 onward. Unfortunately, the episodes are cut. They are syndication prints, and there is a lot missing. Also, the image quality is not great. Sometimes, it looks much better than it does on TV in syndication. Other times, it looks like a VHS dupe.

You used to be able to find a list of cut scenes here:

http://www.imavision.com/lhop/eStore...meNoFlash.html

It was in the Community section. It may still be there if you sift through one of the sections. Since I last read around the time S3 came out--and since it has the most posts--I'm guessing the lists are at the back of the "LHOP in General" section.

By the way, I stopped buying after S3. Part of it was the quality, part of it was the fact that I had seen the complete Little House twice shortly before the discs came out, and I wasn't in the mood to watch what I had. I may pick the rest up at some point, but I do wish they would be revisited with remastered, uncut prints.

Edit: Here's a pretty good thread that will run down some of the problems for you, along with Imavision's response.

http://www.imavision.com/lhop/eStore...oMessageID=269

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thanks for that link Greg, it was ...i guess kind of helpful.

at the least i think i have a better idea of what to expect.
reading the first poster there (the only one, imo, who sounds like they know and understand a/v issues with the format) convinced me to forget about these until they get remastered somewhere down the line.
but then i read all the followups and what the other posters may have lacked in knowledge they made up for in enthusiasm and i'm left still kind of eager to pick the first season up.
(i have a Borders gift card buring a hole in my pocket)

the lack of the opening credit for all but the first show on the disc is going to be pretty annoying though.

prairie prairie prairie
(i need a spell checker permanently nailed to the side of my head)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I've been buying the sets for my sister. She seems to be enjoying them and they're easy gifts to get.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
They're pretty bad. But I still collect them. I doubt the sets will ever be redone. I try not to think of it like I have LHOP on DVD - but like I am accessing TBS on demand or something.

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the first season for my wife. We have only watched 1 episode. I did not know that this series is also the syndicated version. I was going to buy the rest of the dvd sets but will pass. Thanks for the information. I won't buy "cut" sets.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

see, this is why i hesitate. i would be watching these on an FP, and it doesn't sound like its going to be pleasant at a large size.
$50 is a lot of money to drop on a set if the quality isn't there (i know it is in the content of the show but...)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

There's really no need to pay anywhere near that price for the sets though, because Deep Discount DVD has consistently offered this line for only $29.99 per season.

I own all 9 season sets (due to my wife and two daughters loving the show) and while everything people in this thread have said is true, I still think it's a solid buy.

Gary "if you like the show even just a bit, it's worth a purchase for under $30" O.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
except that $30 cash(or charge) has more of an impact than $50 on a gift card.
Borders usually has coupons floating around, so i may just wait for one of those before picking it up.
they have a Buy 3 get 1 free promo going now, but everything else i would want now is much lower priced so it wouldn't be a wise savings to pick it up now.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Oh, I think I understand what you were getting at better now than I did before. See, I thought you were inquiring about the dvds because you were contemplating a start that would culminate in you purchasing the entire series. I see now that you were just thinking about using a gift card to pick up one season of the show.

Gary "if you do, someday, decide to start collecting the whole run I'd still say DDD is by far going to be your best price bet" O.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I really loved this show as a kid and I enjoyed catching reruns as an adult.

I started buying this show on dvd and the show is still very good and holds up today.

As for the whole dvd set issue.... I have no complaints, since i really am not all concerend with packaging and extras (well for some shows I am).

I am just glad to have LHOTP whenever I want.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
I have all 8 seasons. They suck! I feel ripped off, and there's nothing I can do about it other than not buying them. Unfortunetly,I can't avoid this series! I had to have it. Just wish they treated it better.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Do the original versions still exist at NBC? If they do, I hope they can be released.

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think they are syndicated episodes. I think there may be a few episodes that may be cut, but that is about it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The TVShows Alteration List is hardly definitive. It is/was user-contributed. I don't have anything past season 3, and there were cuts in the seasons I have.

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
I've got all of them. I love the show. It's very family friendly and makes for fine viewing.
I have no complaints about the quality of the disks.

How

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks