What's new

Just hit 501 DVD titles in my collection (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nathan,
there is no problem with it, i'm right there with you. :emoji_thumbsup:

I mean if you figure that there are people out there who blow hundreds of dollars on drugs and are slowly killing themselves with nothing to show for it, buying shiny little discs is tame by comparison.

At least our habit doesn't hurt us, although sometimes our wallets might have something to say about that. ;)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I haven't broken 150 and I'm embarassed at how many I have. I mean, it's all extravagance and selfish at it's core. But somehow, I think after reading this thread I'll feel a little less bad about it.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I don't especially care either. I've seen WMV-HD material and, while noticeably sharper, it doesn't make me want to replace my entire collection. The jump from DVD to HD-DVD is just not as compelling as the jump from VHS to DVD. I will probably only replace the major blockbusters like The LOTR Trilogy, The Alien series, etc.

Don Black

Screenwriter
About $2,500... Mostly box sets. But about 50 regular movies. DDD has always been great to me.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I think the most I've ever bought at one time is 15. My collection is 300+ but my buying has levelled off this past year.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
205 titles for now. Most likely I'll be selling a few during my summer vacation, bringing the count down to below 200.

I make it a rule to not go over 200 titles. I had over 300 titles at one time and couldn't believe the amount of crap I've purchased. :)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Funny you should mention that. I smoked 2-3 packs a day for over 10 years. When I quit smoking back in October of 2000, I decided that I would reward myself by taking the money I was spending on cigarettes and put it towards DVDs. The deal I made with myself was that there was to be absolutely no smoking - period. As a movie lover, I enjoyed collecting DVDs so much I forgot all about smoking. Less than 5 years (and zero cigarettes) later I'm in the best shape of my life, and I've owned over 1,200 titles on DVD (I trim my collection now and then, so I presently have just shy of 900 titles in my collection.)

From where I sit, DVD collecting is a harmless, potentially healthy(!) and very enjoyable pastime.

I'm off to watch one now!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I used to use DVD Profiler to keep track, stopped updating it around the time the Godfather collection came out (must be 2001?) and at that time, it registered about 150. Today, at a rough estimate, I'd say I must have around 600+?

How do you guys "count" your collection? I suppose one season's worth of TV episodes is one title, as is a stand-alone movie, but what happens with a movie boxset? Does it make a difference if the boxset is merely a slipcase collecting 2 or 3 movies available individually (any of the Star Trek sets), or an integrated set where the movies are only available in the set (e.g. SW:OT, Indiana Jones)? Or the boxset contains an extra disc (e.g. Alien Quad)?

What if the TV set contains more than one season (e.g. Sports Night; Homicide Life On The Street S1&2)?

And what if a movie special edition includes another movie as a "bonus" (rare, but e.g. Scarface special edition box, and some recent horror movie, I think it was Van Helsing SE)?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think there is a way that DVD Profiler counts the title separate from the release (e.g. the Alien Quadrilogy would count as four titles and the Quad would be one release), but it was never that straightforward to me. When I tried out DVDSpot it was very understandable and so I switched. I was keeping up both but wound up just doing DVDSpot because it was easier. I know there are a lot features on Profiler, but for my purposes DVDSpot works great and has an attractive interface.

As an example here is the listing for The Blind Swordsman, which included the movie Sonatine as a bonus. Under "DVD Details" on the left there is a "Title Count," which in this case counts as two:

http://www.dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1031449862

In your full stats you then have numbers that reflect the number of DVD releases AND the number of titles in your collection. On the specific title listing there is a disc count, but I don't think (and it really shouldn't) count towards any overall stat in the collection. In re: bonus discs, I don't count those because they are part of the release and would not be sold on its own under normal circumstances.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
My "count" is pretty arbitrary, and is just an excel spreadsheet that I use as a listing of what I have, mainly so if I ever have to make an insurance claim or something, I have a complete list of what I'd need to replace. I'll enter things by title, so the Alien quadrilogy and Matrix Collection boxsets are listed as one title. For some reason I entered the Oliver Stone and Scorsese collections as individual discs though, but that's probably since they're separate titles that are in individual cases rather than a digipack.

So it's not a very consistent system, but it means I know what I have, and anyone else I send the list to can probably figure it out.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
The way I keep track of my collection-

Microsoft Access database with 4 categories-
Title, Format (W/S, F/S or BOTH), Audio, and
comments (special features).

I count my titles as:

TV season sets count as 1 title
Multi- disc versions of 1 film count as 1 title
(even the Lord Of The Rings EEs)
Trilogy sets count as 1 title (The Godfather,
Back To The Future, Robocop, Ultimate Toy Box)

Congrats on kicking the smoking habit, John.:D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I keep track the old fashioned way, by counting them.

I just go across the rows 1 2 3 4 5....until I hit 100 and then I start over 1 2 3 4 5...and so on.

It gets tricky when I get to one of my multidisc sets like the Nightmare on Elm Street Collection, I have to count each movie as one individual unit and also the extras disc.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I use a bar code scanner, coupled with DVD Profiler, to keep track of my collection. I haven't played around yet with the box set/multiple disc problem though. I figure that I will tackle that whenever I get a chance to setup my 3 777ES changers with DVD Lobby. 1,200 DVD at my fingertips! Now what to do with the rest... =)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I only have 1,600 DVDs so far. Only 200 of them are still sealed. I've been trying to watch them, but the pile of sealed DVDs keeps going up the more I keep buying discs. A lot of the sealed ones are recent purchases; for example: The massive order I received from DeepDiscount today. I bought over 50 DVDs from them during the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks