What's new

Just got the new Philips 55PL9773 LCOS... (1 Viewer)

JayQuinty

Grip
Also, tell me what DVD it was and if I have it. I will play it and take Pics
Unfortunately, it wasn't a dvd that I recognized the name, and can't remember it now. Also, we were watching a trailer, so maybe that had something to do with it.

It is, however, significant that the picture looked much "clearer" on the Sony rptv than on the Phillips. Even the salesman said it looked better on the Sony. Maybe this was an anomaly, but it's something I will check out further before purchasing the TV. That said, since you already own the TV, I'm sure you would have notice by now if your DVD's were pixellated. I'm thinking something was wrong with the set-up. Next time I have a chance, I'll drop by there again and have him try another DVD and I'll report back here.

Thanks
Jay

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
What I will do tonight...

I will play a number of DVDs and take pitcures of them. If anyone knows of the proper settings I should use, let me know...also, is there a way I can post them in this thread?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Jay,

Next time, make sure the comparison between the TVs are reasonably fair. For example, both should be using the same prog-scan player w/ the same player setup all the way.

Also, it's best to use a real DVD, instead of some trailer DVD. I'd suggest bringing your own: maybe a couple that are quite popular so others will know what they should look like.

_Man_

JayQuinty

Grip
DuWayne,

Even though I asked you this same question on a PM, I thought it would be good to post here regarding your viewing experience with regular TV signals(cable or Direct TV). The pixel plus is supposed to make non-HD signals look like HD. What's your take?

Next Q: What TV did the Phillips replace? If it was an RPTV, do you notice an improved picture verses the RPTV? I currently have an RPTV with DirectTV, and I do notice a lot of variation in the different channels. Some look decent, others don't. My best picture is with the bars on the side(no stretch).

And finally, how do you normally view your standard broadcasts? Stretch? Bars? How does the standard stuff look on stretch mode?

Lots o' questions, so little time:)

Thanks,
Jay

John_F

Stunt Coordinator

This sounds a little strange to me. Looking at the philips web site I see "High-resolution Display—1280 x 720 pixels", and I thought that LCOS was a "fixed pixel" display technology; How are they getting 2048?

And to me, "Pixel Plus" doesn't sound that different then what many other manufacturers are providing/claiming. I must admit that I consider a lot of these features "marketing" and don't pay too much attention to them.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

This sounds a little strange to me. Looking at the philips web site I see "High-resolution Display—1280 x 720 pixels", and I thought that LCOS was a "fixed pixel" display technology; How are they getting 2048?
Pixel Plus isn't just for the LCOS TV...I think it was a general statement, I have to read it again.

Now...

Am I going to have resize these Pics. I want to post or will the board/forum take care of this. Let me know, I don't want to get into trouble.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I have to link the photos...I don't have a place to do that yet, but as soon as I find a place I will.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
OK...I'm going to post a 3 Pictures just to see how things come out.

These photos were taken with an Olympus 4000C at a low quality setting to save bandwidth (I can take a 16meg .tiff), in complete darkness with the flash off. If I can find better settings and still have a decent size file, I'll repost. These photos are just attemps to show quality without any editing. Brightness is by far not represented correctly by photos.

REMOVED....

Jeff>S

Auditioning
Looks pretty sweet! Any way to post an example image with Pixel Plus on vs. Pixel Plus off? Thanks!

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Let these Pics run for a little bit, then I will delete these and add some more. I don't want this post to take forever to load.

Jeff Brannan

Auditioning
Greetings to you all! I have been following this discussion and decided to chime in. I have reserved one of the Philips 55PL9773 sets. The first time I saw this TV at HiFi Buys in ATL I was blown away and actually preferred it over the Samsung HLN 567. I have since gone back and seen another Philips LCOS that has an awful purple tint to it. Now I am waiting for the LCOS to get here in a week or so and I am VERY nervous that I just bought a bunch or problems.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
OK...Here are some more Pics...

Men in Black II

This is Broadcast (DirecTV) /w Pixle Plus (Pearl Harbor)

Austin Powers: GoldMember

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
That's truely awesome picture quality from a DVD.

Bravo! (pun inteneded )
Um...I don't get it.

I wouldn't want to assume that it was sarcasm, and one would suspect to see quality video from DVD. That would just mean that one didn't read the thread very good, in which someone questioned DVD quality playback on the 55PL977S/3. ;)

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
oh...I thought there were two too, but wasn't aware of the Bravo set.

I have the Samsung DVD-HD931

Skip B

Auditioning
I have been researching LCOS and the Philips 55PL9773 for the past week or so. I am several thousand miles away from the nearest Good Guys. The Philips site product info seems fairly straightforward, but I can find, nowhere in their specifications, any mention of "viewing angle". Can anyone help with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks