What's new

Just got my Toshiba 62hm84 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all. There's not a lot of feedback on the Toshiba DLP's out there yet, so I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I just got this set yesterday, it has replaced my Mitsubishi ws-73411. Through work I had this set available to me for about 2300 with the 4 year service plan, so I simply could not pass it up. So anyway, it was delivered to my house yesterday, I plopped it on the Toshiba stand and fired it up. Quicker startup than any of the other DLP's I've looked at. I popped Avia in (would DVE work better for this set? Avia seems to be made primarily for CRT based sets) and set everything up and popped in Monsters Inc. Right off the bat it's remarkably brighter, more colorful, and more detailed than the Mits. I thought this movie looked great on The Beast, but the DLP really shows it off nicely. Next up was Halo 2. Astonishing difference. I'm really waiting for a 720p or 1080i game to come out that I'm interested to really see what she can do. I'm mad I traded in last year's ESPN NFL which was 720. I was really excited about putting this year's game in and then I saw it's only 480. Oh well. The only things I've noticed that are negative compared to my CRT is that standard definition looked better through coax than it does now through S video. I don't really care because I don't watch too much TV, so it's a minor complaint for me. Also, it doesn't seem to handle older DVD's that don't have superb transfers as well. Although I did some tweaking with the sharpness and it seemed to help quit a bit. I might pick up DVE and see if I get the same results with it compared to Avia. If there's any difference I'll post a follow up. Overall though, I love this set. Very bright, punchy colors, very detailed images. The best DLP I've seen compared to Samsung, LG, Mitsubish, and JVC's DILA. I would highly recommend this set to anyone looking for a DLP.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
You got it for HOW MUCH? Can I be your new best friend?!?!

Seriously though, the Toshiba is one DLP set that would pry me away from CRT RPTVs. I was just playing with the 52in at the store 1hr ago and I was hooked. What are your video parameters set at after AVIA if you don't mind my asking? If I were to pursue one of theses sets I could try your numbers and see if I like the picture.

Enjoy your set. At that price, it's like you stole it.

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
I have my contrast at 65, Brightness at 67, color at 48 and tint R2. Coincidentally I got the same results as they did at dlptvreview.com in their review of the Toshiba. I was watching a DVD tonight and noticed that I had forgotten to put the set in "film" mode, so I made that change and it made a bit more of improvement, so I'm even happier now. I've seen a couple rainbows, but nothing compared to the ones I saw on last year's Samsung, or even this year's current lineup. It was distracting the first couple of times, but the huge difference in colors and brightness makes the tradeoff worthwhile.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I have the Little brother of yours...teh 46"DLP... great Tv's are they not. I agree the set up was pretty easy. Question...do your fans stay on for @ a min after you turn it off? then turn off completely. This maybe normal for DLP tv's...this is my first. I've always had the big projector type like my Sony 60" in the Lv room.

and that is an impressive price also!

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the cooling fans will stay on for a little bit. I was reading through the manual and it says that immediately after use the lamp can exceed 392 degrees F. That's pretty friggin' hot.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Tell ya the truth...I have not thought about if it does 1080i or not. All I know is it puts my 65" sony HD crt too shame :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks