What's new

just got hired for a high-pressure commission based sales job (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
its just a short term job from mid nov to mid december, working as a sales rep for a canadian mobile phone provider (FIDO).

ill be working between three stores, Best Buy, Wireless Wave, and London Drugs (they are testing a pilot program there).

anyways, i thought it'd be a good experience for me, coz although i have lots of retail sales experience, ive never had pressure like this, and in a sutiation where i would actually have a great effect on the decision of the customer. it would help if i were to go into personal financial products after my business degree.

anyways, anybody got any tips/advice on a work environment like this?

James T

Screenwriter
I've never heard of a rotating sales rep before.

I sell Rogers phones (not pressured, though). The only thign I can tell you is to know the product you're selling. There are plenty of internet sites that will give details of the features each phone has. You can also visit www.howardforums.com for other opinions. Keep up to date on any plans/specials as they can change at any given time.

Conclude with always asking for the sale. You'll figure out your own little saying, but I always end the conversation by saying something along the lines, "If you're ready, I can activate your phone right now and all I will need is two pieces of I.D.". You'll want to conclude with asking for the sale, b/c there are some people that do not look the least bit interested, but once you ask for the sale, they'll mull it over for a few seconds before jumping on.

Brent T

Second Unit
Been in sales for quite some time and here are a few tips

* Prospects will buy from people they like

* As James said "Product Knowledge"

* Ask as many questions as you can and let the prospect talk as much as they are willing. The more time you have to form a relationship with the prospect the better.

* Sell the value of your prodcut/service over price. Anyone can sell on price, sell the value and you will have more $ by the end of the day

Good luck !! Line those pockets with $$$$

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Other tips:

1.) Don't knock the competition. People get annoyed by that.

2. Always ask for the sale. You never know what happens.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
well im actually hired by a marketing company called MOSAIC, which i believe is contracted through various companies to do their marketing/sales stuff.

thanks for the advice guys, especially the 'ask for the sale' tip!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
1) KNOW your product/resources thoroughly
2) learn how to counter objections (excuses/reasons not to buy)
3)Learn to tie product features and benefits to "closes"
4)Be prepared for lots of "no".....

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I'm currently in a position like that, although I dont have to worry about commission. I do demonstrations for the Tassimo machine. For more info about the machine: www.tassimo.com ;)
16 an hour.

But, of course you should know your product throughly, be courteous, although in my experience, customers generally aren't (even though I offer free coffee and cappicinos!). And love the product your selling. At least on a moral level, cause it will usually show if you dont think much of a product, unless you are THAT good of a salesperson.

James T

Screenwriter
I forgot to mention, there's a GUEST model to sell.

G-Greet the customer
U-Uncover the costumer's needs
E-Explain product/service
S-Solve Customer's objections
T-Tell customer to buy

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Find a cute female and dress her in something revealing, and let her attract customers to you. I know nothing about sales, but that's how they do it on "The Apprentice".
:D:D

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Learn how to read the customer....
DO NOT be pushy.....
Know your product more than you know yourself......
Do not diss the competitors.......
Sell what the customer needs....not what you want them to need.....
Check back with customer a few weeks after the sale.....
If they don't buy still get their info and give them yours....
A customer that leaves empty handed...even without just your card....will NEVER come back.....

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I just got an awesome job as a Mortgage Loan Officer that I'm really proud of. I just have to get the cold calling aspect of the job down and I'll be selling loans left and right!! :D

Anyway, I got my start in retail sales at CompUSA over a year and a half ago when a manager made the awesome decision to promote me to Home Electronics Sales and I've been in sales ever since! I love sales -- I enjoy making more than my base salary and I find it to be a fun game.

Now, GUEST sounds like nothing new -- sounds like the same old basic sales formula that's been around for generations since the days of the first salespeople. However, I do have a few pointers:

1. Always learn MORE about your craft. You'll be much better off and will be able to make the higher income brackets if you learn sales techniques from the pros: Stephan Schiffman, Jeffrey Gitomer, Zig Ziglar, and so on and so forth. I'm currently in the middle of Zig Ziglar's latest book: Ziglar on Selling. If you learn techniques from the masters, you'll always be able to make money in sales when everyone else (your competition) is running from the market.

2. Always, always, and ALWAYS BE CLOSING. No matter what. You must always follow the main ABCs of selling: ALWAYS BE CLOSING!!! If you do not follow anything else, follow the ABCs.

3. Also, don't forget AIDA: Attention, Interest, Decision, and Action. Always get the customer's attention FIRST. Then, generate INTEREST in your product in a differentiating way to help separate yourself from the competition. Also, give the customer enough information to make a DECISION, or lead the customer in the direction of the DECISION you want him/her to make. NEVER push, but always ASK for the sale. And finally, entice the customer to take ACTION with several different options and products to choose from.

Also, one little tidbit I always like to give to help fellow salesmen: always have FUN. Don't take rejection personally otherwise you won't last long in this business. Sales IS rejection. Without rejection, there is no sale. Without no's, there are no yes's. Always keep an eye on the prize (and of course, the customer) and you'll be fine.

I think I've thought of everything I was intending on putting together into this post...I hope that helped! And good luck! :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sounds like you're first time doing commission based sales? if so, there's really one thing you'll want to think about. simply put, "how honest do you want to be with yourself and your customers?"

i've worked quite a few comm-based jobs and i pretty much never enjoyed it. everyone was always snaking your sales, you always felt "pressured" to sell (or you wouldn't make any money), you always had to rush (to get onto the next sale), etc. it just wasn't my cup of tea.

but, if you're honest with yourself and your customers ... then that's all anyone can really ask for.

in addition to "GUEST", we use "CARE"

Contact the customer
Ask questions (to figure out what the cust needs)
Recommend a product (based on the questions you asked)
Encourage the sale (duh...)

:D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
hehe, funnily enough i watched that movie about a week and a half ago

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Good luck, Nick. Quite frankly, I learned a lot from working in sales at Best Buy, the most important thing is I'm not built for sales. :) So glad I quit.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
hehe, yah i think its coz i've had lots of experience handling rejection :D

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Good luck nick. I have been in sales now for 15 years. I have done the 9-5 Gig and i hated it. I have been at my job now for three years and I love it. there is nothing like closing a big sale. Coffee anyone

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I work at Staples business Depot, and although we aren't on commission, we are taught some important steps in selling. One of the ones I like is FBAT.

Features: This phone has three way calling
Benefits: So you can talk to 2 other people at the same time
Advantage: That's better than having two phones going at once.
Tiedown: Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, not the greatest, but I guess it oculd help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks