What's new

just got back from ASIA ... (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Wow, I had no idea that Asia had reunited. I bet that would be a pretty cool concert to see.

I first got into Asia when their first album was released back in 1982 I think it was. I was in 6th grade at the time and was just getting into music back then. Of course it was Heat of the Moment that lead to me buying the LP but I soon came to love the entire album and played it all of the time. I remember getting flack early on in 7th grade from classmates for drawing a large Asia logo on my Pee-Chee folder because they weren't "cool." I didn't care, I still liked them anyway. I even continued to listen to them as I discovered heavy metal later on during the 7th grade school year and I still like their first three albums to varying degrees to this day. I'm not that familiar with what they released after Astra so I can't comment on that period.

Anyway, it's nice to see they are back together and I'll have to watch for them in the L.A. area.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Here's a couple pics from the Albany show that the city put up on their website:
62107dk8.jpg

62108tr2.jpg

62109pl3.jpg

62110oj5.jpg
To give you an idea of the crowd, which stretched out considerable past both sides of the frame, here's a shot from that same batch of the opening act:
62103to8.jpg
Granted, a chunk of that crowd was under age people trying to score more easily attainable alcohol, but still an impressive crowd for a Thursday night under an overpass.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Phoenix is released on Tuesday. :) Any one else planning on picking it up?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I listened to a bunch of little samples of the songs and it sounds promising.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Track Listing

* 1. Never Again
* 2. Nothing's Forever
* 3. Heroine
* 4. Sleeping Giant / No Way Back / Reprise
* 5. Alibis
* 6. I Will Remember You
* 7. Shadow of a Doubt
* 8. Parallel Worlds / Vortex / Deya
* 9. Wish I'd Known All Along
* 10. Orchard of Mines
* 11. Over and Over
* 12. An Extraordinary Life

Acoustic Bonus Tracks:

* Europe - "An Extraordinary Life" [Europe Limited Edition]
* Japan - "I Will Remember You"

how to get the onus tracks?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Just the little samples that Amazon provides with the product listing.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I picked Phoenix up this morning. Here is my review: I like it. :)

Obviously, I haven't spent much time with it, but my first impressions are good. I could easily see myself liking it a lot. I mean it is Asia. It's not like they significantly altered their sound for 2008. Still, there seems to be a nice maturity in the lyrics and the songs are well mixed and have a cohesive sound (they write some of the strongest choruses). Unlike some other aging vocalists it sounds to me like Wetton's voice has held up well. I'm looking forward to spending more time with this disc and Asia.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know how long it'll be posted but AOL has the entire new CD available on their CD listening party site here:

New Music Releases - Free Full CD Listening Parties - AOL Music

Just click on the album cover icon on the top scroll bar.

It's a fantastic CD. Asia is one of my favorite bands (and I'm proud to admit it) and I think it's better than anything they've done previously. I agree that there is a maturity in the lyrics and music arrangements that makes them sound contemporary today. This is one 80's comeback that I am really excited about.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
No other comments? I've been driving a lot lately and have been able to listen to it more and I still really like it. The second half of the album is really mellow. I wish they had one more song with a little more energy toward the end. I still really like the songs though and "Extraordinary Life" is a good way to end the album.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my copy from Amazon. It'll take a few listens in the car to appreciate it, but from multiple listenings of the AOL link, I really really like it. Yes, a lot more mellow and nowhere as bombastic as some of the older stuff (which I never minded). It some of Steve Howe's strongest guitar work in a while too. The second half is better than the first half, in my opinion. Still, as a huge Asia fan, I am pretty psyched about the new release. I have tickets to their San Francisco show in early May, and I cannot wait!

An Extraordinary Life is a great song.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Man, I don't like this at all. Way too "pop". Not enough of a progressive tilt. Even the 2 longer "suite" tunes don't cut it for me.

I really liked the 1st one. Didn't like the 2nd one either, which this ones sounds too much like.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i like the record but i think it's too "easy" or soft.

i asked my wife what she thought and she called it mellow.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I agree that it is fairly mellow and I would've liked the second half of the album to have included another tune like "Never Again." Still, it does not seem out of the ordinary that as they have gotten older that their sound would mellow some. I've mellowed a bit too over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks