What's new

Just came back from seeing/buying new Sony rear-projection LCD (1 Viewer)

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I know that the DLP sets don't have a burn-in problem. Is the same true for LCD sets? Are dead pixels (unrelated to burn-in) the only known problem with LCD sets? I seem to recall hearing about more problems with them (generally)than that. What are the drawbacks to an LCD set?

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Supposedly, there is no burn-in with LCDs.

Drawbacks:

Need to change the light occasionally. Costs $250 for Sony RDLPs. OTOH, when you change it out, your TV is good as new.

Dead pixels.

Not as good as CRT black levels.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I saw the KF-50WE610 at Sears yesterday and was blown away by it. I've been very hesitant on going with a RP set because it always seems that the viewing angles are so narrow. For whatever reason (and I could have very well just been lucky in the direction that a I walked up to the set) this set didn't seem to have that problem. I was on the fence until seeing this set, but I'm now counting my pennies and checking my budget to see if I can afford it...

I was, however, a bit concerned about the reviews at Audio Review:
KF-50WE610 reviews at Audio Review

Any truth to the (C. Bason, 12/31/03) reviewer's claim that the set has been recalled? Also, is the 2000 hour life on the bulbs accurate (Lwdogg, 12/31/03)?

Anybody have any shots of this set in a "home setting"?

Finally, can LCD sets be ISF calibrated like other RPTVs? I am worried about bumping/etc that the set will undergo during shipping and/or moving and I've seen enough sets out of alignment (and usually on display at best Buy, :))...

Ali_

Grip
im selling my tv to pick this one up...i saw it also...its been out in the US for months now...it looks really good!!!

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I did a bit more research, and it appears that there is indeed a pretty common problem with this set. Check out this thread at AVS Forum

Note: I'm not sure if we are allowed to post URLs to other forums on here, if not, search AVS Forum for KF-50WE610 and you'll find the thread in question.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy -

Nice! I'm contemplating that TV, and happen to already have that very same Target stand, but it only cost me $29. This story is aprapos of nothing, but it cracked me up.
Target checkout guy: TV stand $29.
Me: Um, I think it's supposed to be $129.
TCG: It's coming up $29.
Me: I'm not complaining, but I'm pretty sure that's seriously incorrect.
TCG: Well, today, you're getting it for $29.
Me: Okey-dokey, then.

To diverge even further from the topic, I also have the matching Target audio gear rack. Helluva price for reasonably good quality, but a couplea boneheaded design issues:
It's specifically called an audio rack BUT...
a) It's juuust wide enough to accomodate standard-width gear IF you butter the sides of your gear to get it in (no, not literally...), and you don't have to slide anything past the front door hinges.
b) Frosted-glass front door blocks IR signals from getting to the gear, so I have to leave the door open while watching TV or movies
c) The assembly manual warns against leaving out or modifying the cardboard back, which is intended to be nailed into place. Well, using it would've meant poor ventilation, so off it stayed. I hafta doubt it's load-bearing cardboard.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Now back to your regularly-scheduled topic...

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the 42" model for three months. I have not had any problems with it. Others have reported a buzz sound when turning the set on, and possibly a lamp issue. I have a few dead pixels, but can't see them unless I smash my grill against the screen in a dark room. The dead pixel issue is WAY overblown, folks. Unless you have a bunch of bright red or blue pixels stuck in the same square inch, you'll never notice them. Don't let the dead pixels issue deter you from buying this TV. I would reccommend buying an extended warraty though...

Dave

Jim Wilke

Grip
I've seem the 60" and 70" side by side and was not impressed. I'm a Sony guy and I wanted to like it but the 70" was washed out and the 60" was only marginally better. Neither was as good as some of the older CRT RPTVs near by.

I have a 61" 4:3 XBR200 Sony that I am going to replace and I was hoping that LCD was the answer but apparently not. I'm going back today to see if they have calibrated them any better but I am not optomistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.