What's new

Just bought a SR8200...whoops (1 Viewer)

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I just bought a Maranz SR8200 on the word of my dealer. Unfortunately, I started reading the archives of the forum here regarding all the problems of the x200 line. I noticed on my receiver that it has that annoying 1-2 second delay in finding the digital signal. It drives me nuts. I called Marantz about it today and actually got Chow on the phone, the gentleman referenced throughout here. He informed that this is normal operation for the receiver, that the signal must go through a processor first. I've had dirt cheap set ups in the past, like a Boston Accoustics 6000 box set where I never had this problem. Is Marantz being honest in saying this normal operation for this receiver? Do other receivers do it? Should I return this while I still have the chance?

I apologize for bring up an old topic, I just want some fresh answers.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
If you've read other threads, you've probably seen my opinion on this. The problem varries considerably among different equipment. In my case, there is almost no delay for my Panasonic DVD player and Marantz CD player. The only digital component that demonstrates the delay is the DVD movie playback of my Sony Playstation 2 (which of course I don't use for movies - games have no delay).

Your results may varry. If it drives you nuts, I'd probably say return it, because it will probably nag at you over time. It's a shame to see such a great receiver skipped over by what I consider to be a small flaw though. This thing has simply amazing music production, and features that are geared to it: dual differential processing in stereo mode, source-direct bypass, video bypass, etc. That is, you can pretty much tell the receiver to act as a pure music amp or amp/processor that is isolated and purposed for 2 channel music. Can you tell that I am a music fanatic? I've always wanted a receiver that was built for people like me (60%/40% in favor of music). The HT performance is great too. I'm convinced that if you have good amps, the rest falls into place and is more or less the same with a few feature differences.

Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I noticed this immediately with my 6200 also, only for digital sources. It bothers me a bit, but more or less I have to agree with Chris that it has more to do with the source or combination of certain sources and these receivers, that causes the slight delay. One thing I also noted is that this issue did NOT occur when I was using a Marantz CD player via digital, nor does it seem to occur with my Sony ES CD player via digital now. It DOES happen, consistently, with my Sony DVD player however.
I've been living with it for 1yr now, and it doesn't really bother me all that much anymore. Would I be happy without the delay? Yes, but I wouldn't give up great sound for what I also consider to be only a minor nuisance. I am more along the lines of 70/30 music/movies (varies), which is exactly why I chose Marantz (...because music matters...:D ). The DACs are not even as good as the ones on the 8200, but I am still very happy with it, and I plan on moving to a 7300 soon. The 7300, according to HTF member's comments, does not appear to have the delay issue.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I am interested in knowing what DVD players combined with the SR8200 do not exhibit the digital signal pick up delay. I just bought a Pioneer elite 45A so it's not an old player by any means. I have only tried one DVD so far, since I don't even have an A/V cabinet yet. Things are lying around on the floor everywhere. It's a mess in my room!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
don't know if this across the board for Pioneer players, my SR8200 is linked to a Pioneer DV233 (admittedly an entry-level basic model), and the delay sometimes drives me nuts. if memory serves, my Philips Q30 (now in the bedroom) didn't do any better either.

I'd be interested in hearing if the Elite 45A does better, since I'm sort-of considering what appears to be the local equivalent 655.

John Bejster

Auditioning
SR8200 with a Toshiba 4800 DVD player has the delay. I hate it as much as anyone but agree that the performance of this receiver in all other areas helps me overlook the problem. Some people have commented that maybe Marantz would be able to fix this with a software upgrade via the RS-232 port. That would be nice, but I'm not very optimistic about that happening. If you think the delay will drive you nuts, get rid of it now.

John

Luis M

Second Unit
Edward, I would not give up on this receiver just yet. After you get used to its sound it may be tough to get used to another receiver's sound. The delay will not go away it will be slower or faster depending on your dvd. If you can't live with the delay return it. All I can tell you is that this receiver with full range front speakers [left&right} and with DTS and Dolby D in the direct mode can be very very good.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree with the thought that some combinations of DVD players and receivers seem to have more troubles than others on signal recognition/lock.

I don't have Marantz. But I have recently used Denon receivers with both Sony and Pioneer DVD players with no troubles. Also a Sony DVD player with both Kenwood and Yamaha receivers was no problem...

Jonas Pearson

Stunt Coordinator
I have an SR7200 and a Toshiba 2800 DVD player and yes I experience this as well. From searching other threads Toshiba seems notorious for this with the Marantz x200 series.

I am so thrilled with the other characteristics (especially music!) of this receiver, however, that I can deal with it for now. When I upgrade the Tosh, which sorta sucks anyway, I'll simply find a DVD player that doesn't cause the drop outs.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I noticed on my receiver that it has that annoying 1-2 second delay in finding the digital signal. It drives me nuts.
Edward, the one-two second delay is fairly normal for a lot of receivers. I have a DA4ES and it has a delay too. I used to own a Proton prepro which had that delay also. Besides, you are talking only 1-2 seconds here and I hope it's not buyers remorse or something like that :D
If you truly like the sound of the Marantz then stay with it but if sound is not satisfactory then it is a whole different story.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I'm a little surprised that present day receivers are still exhibiting this anomolie, especially the DA4. This was at one time (a few years ago) almost universal. My 777es which is now almost four years old ,was the first digital receiver I owned that didn't have the problem. My only suspicion and guess is that some mfg's are using prepriatory DAC's which may be optimal for their particular brand and have yet not addressed this "delay" problem. It would seem that anyone interested in completely avoiding receivers that have this , have no choice except an in house audition of receivers the're interseted in and scratch from their list all receivers that have the delay. I would be interested in knowing if others are having this problem with other modern day receivers.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I've got an SR7300 with a Toshiba DVD (couple years old, not sure of model) and Sony cd player, Directv/tivo is also hooked up via dig optical...and I'm happy to report no delays. It picks up the signal very quickly actually.

I had looked at the 8200 but the 7300 was a better choice for me (until the 8300) with no annoyances.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Sean,

Just curious: was the delay a big factor in your choice? The 7300 sounds like a great receiver too, but it is the next generation of the 7200 and 7000 which are a whole step down from the 8200 in terms of power, sound, and build quality.

I used to own an SR7000, which was a great receiver, but it always seemed underpowered to me, and the DACs are not as good as those in the 8200. Music in Stereo mode was *noticeably* worse than source direct with my 7000. With the 8200 (and the same CD player), the receiver's DACs in dual differential mode actually sound better than source direct, plus it gives me more bass management flexibility than SD. HT is more effortless too.

I never heard the 7300, but I have a hard time believing that it is a "better choice". At it's price point? Sure, it's no doubt a great purchase, and if that is the point you were making (ie. better value) than I won't argue with you since that is a more subjective comparison. But with the 8200 showing up at less than $1,300 new and less than $1,000 refurbished, I consider it a great value too.

Bottom line, we may all disagree on the various merits and deficiencies of the individual models, but I like to think we're all part of the Marantz "family" of suckers that heard their warm amp sound and were hooked for good. I sometimes wish there was more discussion about Marantz receivers here in this board that leans heavily toward Dennon, HK, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc.

Chris

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I know exactly what you are talking about. Where it bugs me is on cable. Whenever I channel from an analog cable channel to HBO or other digital cable channel where the audio is DD, then I have a 1-2 sec delay.

While the delay does bug me, but the receiver sounds so good and shines in other areas that I have overlooked it.

I don't notice it with DVDs (Panny RP-56) but it could simply be that I'm anticipating the delay when menus come up, etc.

Best of luck whith whatever decision you make.

Tom Kindel

Auditioning
I have the SR9200 (fresh from a factory upgrade to THX Ultra2) and a Panny DVD-CP72 and it has the delay too. Like a lot of others here, I find the performance to be so good I don't notice the delay often enough to bother me.

I haven't tried DVD Audio or digital HDTV yet.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I sometimes wish there was more discussion about Marantz receivers here in this board that leans heavily toward Dennon, HK, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc.
didn't stop me from buying the Marantz! I joined the board precisely to learn about receivers and speakers, but curiously ended up buying stuff that rarely gets covered here (Marantz receiver, Mission speakers). go figure :D

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I own one, and the pause doesn't bother me at all...I did, FYI, send a email with confirmation from him, to one of my contacts, and he is taking it to CES this week(today and on) and he said he will talk to the reps about a proposed fix...I'll try and update ya when I hear more!! tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks