What's new

Just about to buy a minivan... (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We do not have any kids, but we are on our 2nd minivan for my wife. Our current one is a 2000 Mercury Villager (a rebadged Nissan Quest). As others have said, they may not be fun to drive, but they are very cost effective -- much less expensive than a SUV, with better gas mileage, more cargo space than an Explorer or Trailblazer, and they are great on long road trips. We've taken ours on a 3,800 mile trip to Maine/Nova Scotia and a 5,000 mile trip to Glacier National Park in NW Montana. As long as you do not need a towing vehicle, they are very practical.

I am sad that Ford discontinued its joint venture with Nissan on the Quest/Villager. We were able to purchase two Villagers under the Ford discount programs. When we are ready for a replacement, I will probably look at Honda, Toyota and Nissan. We've had serious quality issues with past "real" Ford and Chrysler products, while our Nissan and Toyota vehicles have been very reliable.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
We have a 2003 Sienna and are very satisfied. Nice smooth ride, but the handling leaves a bit to be desired, especially highway speeds. Guess that is to be expected.... 3.0 liter v-6 has adequate power for most circumstances and tranny shifts smooth. The rear seats are a bit cumbersome to remove, but that's life. I believe the new models fold flat.

Anyone have a rear carrier that fits into the trailer hitch ? Just starting to research and looking for model suggestions. I'm not crazy about stowing stuff on the roof since our typical long distance drive is ~500 miles and I don't want to take the hit on the gas mileage.

Thanks !

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator

I am counting, my Honda never has never gotten less than 19 mpg and that was fully loaded with a roof carrier and 6 people. On the same trip my FIL in a Explorer V6 hauling only 3 people got a whopping 12 mpg. The Chevy Tahoe my BIL was driving hauling 4 people got less than 10 mpg. Typically my wife gets 22 in the city and 25 on the highway. Cant speak for the dodge but our van gets excellent gas mileage considering the size and weight of the vehicle.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator

Without a doubt if you have a need for towing a boat a minivan is not the best choice. We dont have that need.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Well I just took delivery today. It drives just like my maxima:cool: It came with grey interior. Its actually more like a light grey. I like it better than the tan. The outside is the majestic blue from above link. I miss a few of the options of my loaded maxima but i've got room to boot:emoji_thumbsup:

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
That's a sweet looking van Shawn! Are you sure you wanna haul stuff around in that? :D

Congrats, you and I have done are share of keeping the American economy going this month!

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Its my(our:b ) first new vehicle with the odometer just reading 15km at delivery. It now has 85km on it. Its strange not seeing a few zero's after it. The centre mounted dash takes about 20min to get used to. The oddest thing so far is the shifter placement:thumbsdown: The engine is smooth and the suspension a lot softer than my prevoius car.
The stereo must go! that thing is pathetic. It sounds terrible. I may put a couple 8" subs in and change the speakers maybe add an amp to the speakers too. For now at least I may change the speakers in the door and back panels.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Shawn,

Congrats on your purchase. My only advice to you is to treat your minivan as a minivan, instead of pretending it is a sportscar. It's almost a daily occurrence for me to be cut off by a man driving a minivan, trying to show everyone how fast he can drive that barge. :angry:

Please don't be one of those people.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
No worries Rob:D I got that out of my system with my old car though it does have the same engine as the 350z I just don't feel sporty. I guess picking up chicks is out now too. Though I could technically pick up more women with a minivan than someone with a sports car(I can seat six plus me:D )

I want to live:frowning: Fiancee would kill me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks