What's new

Blu-ray Review Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu-ray Review - Recommended (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Harmy /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended#post_3865557
If the gateweave is only visible on the credits, that proves nothing, since in 1993, it is quite likely that he credits were still done optically and every optical composite always has some amount of gate weave. And even if they were done digitally, in 1993, even a digital composite would likely have a certain amount of gate weve, since the digital credits would be perfectly still but the scanned footage would weave and so if you now scanned it and stabilized the footage perfectly, the credits would still move.
When making a new film scan they would correct this anomaly, thats all anyone is saying, they have the technology, but for me i actually like the fact the credits move with that piece of music they play, it looks good, i had no issue with it, i pointed it out as a possibility that it wasn't a new scan based on that, you would still think they would have fixed it unless of course Spielberg also likes the way it moves with the music score, i do anyway.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended#post_3865465
I helped you cancel your pre-order and Kevin helped you buy the release, ooops, sorry about that, but seriously, its better than any other release and i think you will enjoy it, all i am asking is why does edge enhancement, no matter how minor some find it, exist on the transfer, i'll stick to the other thread though since my thoughts are already on it.
Sorry Malcolm, I never canceled a Jurassic Park pre-order for I never had one. The only order I canceled recently was for West Side Story and again you had nothing to do with that decision. I held off on buying Jurassic at Best Buy until I could go through the posts and Kevin's review won we over. I have rarely been disappointed in his thoughts. I do hold off on purchasing or ordering Universal titles and that is due to your observations. Taking your observations and others into account, I then make my decision on a universal Blu-ray. SCARFACE and FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH have not been bought, but I did get BLUES BROTHERS.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Harmy said:
If the gateweave is only visible on the credits, that proves nothing, since in 1993, it is quite likely that he credits were still done optically and every optical composite always has some amount of gate weave. And even if they were done digitally, in 1993, even a digital composite would likely have a certain amount of gate weve, since the digital credits would be perfectly still but the scanned footage would weave and so if you now scanned it and stabilized the footage perfectly, the credits would still move.
Hate to disagree with you Harmy but any film sent through a modern datacine won't show the amount of gateweave present in the JP bluray, optical or not. Check out any of Sony's transfers which are known to have been scanned on modern 4K machines (known not through heresay but from detailed public comments of Grover Crisp himself): the Harryhausen films, Guns of Navarone, The Deep etc. These films have optical credits and they are rock solid.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended#post_3865577
Hate to disagree with you Harmy but any film sent through a modern datacine won't show the amount of gateweave present in the JP bluray, optical or not. Check out any of Sony's transfers which are known to have been scanned on modern 4K machines (known not through heresay but from detailed public comments of Grover Crisp himself): the Harryhausen films, Guns of Navarone, The Deep etc. These films have optical credits and they are rock solid.
I recommend Jason and the Argonauts, fantastic transfer.

I actually wonder if Sony are doing 4K scans because they intend releasing 4K movies using blu ray, kinda crammed for disc space but there you go - maybe they have BD-100 coming and will limit 4K to new blu ray players and a small market, they have already made statements at Cedia with the release of a 4K projector and i have heard that 4K is going to be a big thing for monitors and projectors and we should see some good affordable options in 2013/2014, even blu ray scaled to 4K will look stunning, well it will look stunning when the transfer itself is great.

To me that says Sony is forward thinking and looking to the future, i don't think the same is true of Universal studio's.

GregK

Screenwriter
Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy is presented in an English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 mix, along with English and French DTS 5.1 mixes
Just curious- Is the DTS 5.1 mix the original theatrical audio mix, or is it simply a redundant downmix of the new remix?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Greg, you caught me in a big typo. Sorry about that. The only English mix is the 7.1 DTS-HD MA mix. The 2 SD DTS mixes are in French and Spanish.

Harmy

Agent
Real Name
Petr Harmacek
I haven't seen this transfer yet, so I can't judge how much the credits weave but my question is: do only the credits weave or the whole image? If it is only the credits, then it has absolutely nothing to do with the transfer. There are only two ways to stop optically composited credits from weaving: one is to recomposite them digitally and then you're not talking restoration any more and the other is to stabilize the credits, thus causing much more weave on the rest of the picture.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Excuse me if I overlooked it, but did Universal use the same type of packaging as their Back the Future set?
There was a HUGE outcry over that package by reviewers & fans. People HATED it & expressed it on posts. The BTF set had those difficult little "wings" that break if you don't do it just right.
I can't believe they would use it again. But when I saw the JP set in stores, it looks like the same as BTF.
Is it?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
(Sadly, the BTTF set with the traditional ("corrected") hubs nevertheless has a cheap look and feel to it.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didnt notice the weave in the credits and usually don't notice EE. what is the gate weave anyway?
when i went back to look I saw a little bit of shakyness to the credits, the credits lasted what about 5 seconds on the screen? I know people want things to look great but is a 5 second credit bit worth complaining about?
My only opinion on the video is that the image looks the movie was made in the 70's and not the 90's.
It isn't awful by any stretch but it doesn't look like it was filmed only 20 years ago.
I dont pop in a movie as soon as i buy it very often but I did with this one. love it all three are just great fun.
My only major issue, and I know there is a few things that can be nitpicked, is the beginning scene when they are trying to get the raptor in the cage.
No excuse for that box to not be locked to the cage they are pushing the raptor into. then they have a guy on top pulling the door up and not an automatic door of some kind?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
David Deeb said:
Excuse me if I overlooked it, but did Universal use the same type of packaging as their Back the Future set?
There was a HUGE outcry over that package by reviewers & fans. People HATED it & expressed it on posts. The BTF set had those difficult little "wings" that break if you don't do it just right.
I can't believe they would use it again. But when I saw the JP set in stores, it looks like the same as BTF.
Is it?
This is the same as the corrected BTTFset with the better hubs, but still a terrible digipack packaging.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended#post_3865920
My only major issue, and I know there is a few things that can be nitpicked, is the beginning scene when they are trying to get the raptor in the cage.
No excuse for that box to not be locked to the cage they are pushing the raptor into. then they have a guy on top pulling the door up and not an automatic door of some kind?
I did see an OSHA score in Kevin's review.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In case anyone is interested, the digital copy of these movies is not on a separate disc, it's not on a disc at all. You have to download it. I just started JP 1, and according to iTunes, it's going to take over 4 hours.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Here is a more accurate review from the UK someone who is not bothered about telling it like it is....
http://www.avforums.com/movies/Jurassic-Park-Ultimate-Trilogy-review_10733/comments.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-rays-dvds-download-services/1511896-jurassic-park-boxset-5.html
"Universal don't exactly drop the ball with the video transfers, but they do fumble with it. The images here don't look all that amazing I'm afraid, and reveal that the studio has skimped on the Blu-ray release of one of its most illustrious and bankable franchises. All the extras under the sun won't make up for images that are occasionally flat and uninspiring, inconsistent in terms of detail, grain and sharpness, and obviously dated. But, being realistic, they look like film, and they offer a wealth of detail that was previously available. "
If this was a brand new 2011 HD transfer for JP1 I would want to see undeniable proof as my eyes tell me something else like a 2007 ish era HD transfer for TV with digital tools like DNR set to overkill. Anyone can call a transfer done in 2011 a new transfer as it is but that does not mean the source elements were scanned this year. If Universal had nothing to hide they would simply state its a 2011 HD transfer using the best possible film elements & approved by Amblin. Of course they won't as it will never ever get recalled so this poor looking transfer is the one we are all stuck with for many years to come if not eternity as BD is definately the last physical home media format..........

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Johnny Angell said:
In case anyone is interested, the digital copy of these movies is not on a separate disc, it's not on a disc at all. You have to download it. I just started JP 1, and according to iTunes, it's going to take over 4 hours.
Adam. Lol
Johnny it took me about 30 minutes to dl all three on iTunes and that included some sort of iTunes extras that I haven't looked at yet.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
This is the same as the corrected BTTFset with the better hubs, but still a terrible digipack packaging.
Thanks Tony. Some good news & bad news I guess.
Good new = better hubs. Bad news = because when I picked up the BTF set (and my eventual JP set), the actual digipak holding the discs slip out and crashed on the floor. I was left holding a box with no bottom. :(

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Parts of the first film have a bit of a harsh digital look but much of it looks great in hi-def. I attribute the look of the film to Spielberg's change of style. By the early 90's he was shooting his movies with a "contrasty" look in addition to changing his preferred aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 1.85. People rightly expect a film that was made relatively recently to automatically look perfect but you have to take into account stylistic choices made by the filmmakers. Regarding the packaging, I chose to get Best Buy's steelbook case even though it was slightly more expensive than the regular cardboard/plastic box set. The steel case is very sleek - it looks great and it's smaller., for those of us with space issues.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended#post_3865920
I wonder if that guy had decent insurance. ?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
elDomenechHTF said:
Parts of the first film have a bit of a harsh digital look but much of it looks great in hi-def. I attribute the look of the film to Spielberg's change of style. By the early 90's he was shooting his movies with a "contrasty" look in addition to changing his preferred aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 1.85. People rightly expect a film that was made relatively recently to automatically look perfect but you have to take into account stylistic choices made by the filmmakers. Regarding the packaging, I chose to get Best Buy's steelbook case even though it was slightly more expensive than the regular cardboard/plastic box set. The steel case is very sleek - it looks great and it's smaller., for those of us with space issues.
But it is taller, it's dvd sized.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
David Deeb said:
Thanks Tony. Some good news & bad news I guess.
Good new = better hubs. Bad news = because when I picked up the BTF set (and my eventual JP set), the actual digipak holding the discs slip out and crashed on the floor. I was left holding a box with no bottom. :(
I was lucky to get a hold of a shrink wrap machine, I shrink wrap these things and cut one end open.
Or if the wrap is on the outside I just put scotch tape on one end then open the other (top).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks