What's new

Jurassic Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
July 11, 2003 will mark the 10 year anniversary of Jurassic Park. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since Spielberg ushered in the digital age with amazing effects that eventually made The Lord of the Rings and the new Star Wars movies possible. Of coarse, Jurassic Park not only leaped forward in effects but it also ushered in what I consider to be the best audio format for theaters and the home: DTS. Jurassic Park is still one of my favorite films and, in my opinion, the last great Spielberg movie except for Schindler's List. I was just wondering if anyone had heard any rumors about a possible theatrical re-release or a new DVD. I don't know what you would add to a new DVD b/c the first one was great, especially the sound on the DTS version. It would be cool if we got a chance to see it in theaters again. It's a bit early but, happy anniversary Jurassic Park. Man how time flies.;)

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I just watch my JP DVD a few days ago. I am still amazed at how well the CGI in that film holds up. Its not by any means perfect, but still looks pretty good, even now. Hats off to the team that did such amazing work ten years ago.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My Jurassic Park viewing experience was probably my best ever, as far as 35mm print viewings go. I was in California visiting relatives at the time, and we went to a Century theater to see it; all I can remember is that the theater was huge, the seats could shake, the quality was good if not great, and people knew how to act in a theater back then. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love JP and Spielberg as much as the next bloke, but T2 used the first major CGI in a film, following Cameron's The Abyss (which used a subplot involving the CGI water-tentacle). Granted, JP involved far more texturing and surface work, but CG did NOT dawn with Spielberg and JP. Cameron (with Muren) gets the credit for pushing this forward into photorealism (following Tron, Last Starfighter, Young Sherlock Holmes :) ).

Take care,
Chuck

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I think I'll throw my JP disc this afternoon as a tribute. :D

Technically though, wouldn't The Last Starfighter be the first CG film or maybe even Tron?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
One of the greatest popcorn flicks out there, and also one of the most underrated.

The sense of wonder this movie created is unmatched. The "Welcome to Jurassic Park" sequence still give me goosebumps. The T-Rex attack still makes me want to hide. The attention to details is awe inspiring - who can forget the T-Rex' contracting pupils?

It will forever stay in my mind as the best theatrical experience ever.

--
Holadem

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
JP is one of the few movie experiences from my childhood I can really remember (I was 7 when I saw it).

It's just one of those classic movies that will probably stand the test of time. I put it up there with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future....wait a second, those are all good TRILOGIES!

Anyhow, JP was a classic and will be one forever. I hope the 4th one is good.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Jurassic Park IS a classic, and I'm not one to throw around that word very much. It's my favorite Spielberg film, and essentially succeeds at every element that make movies fun. An engaging story, an excellent blend of sci-fi and action, suspense, great sequences, excellent pacing, solid performances, it's all there. And then, of course, the visuals, which to me look better than most CGI in films and these effects are ten years old! I really don't think there's anything wrong with this film, it's just so much fun and interesting. (See, it makes me write like a 10-year-old, because I'm just in awe of how great it is.)

:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Jurassic Park is the movie that got me into home theatre. I purchased the VHS tape and it was the first film I played on my brand new stereo vcr hooked up to my stereao receiver. I was blown away. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Speaking of getting into Home Theater. I really got into Laserdisc (the first time) in 1994 and nearly every home theater store had all their rooms filled with the THX-pro-logic laserdisc of Jurassic Park playing....of course it's the "Where's The Goat?" scene...:emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Wouldn't a re-release be nice? Back when our town had JP, DTS didn't exist around here. Maybe to coincide with the release of the new DTS trailer, they could release JP to theatres with DTS sound systems (like ours!). I can't imagine seeing that film on the big screen again, and in DTS this time. Well, here's to hoping for a re-release.

AJ Garman

Travis D

Second Unit
I have no idea why I think this, but I really think a JP re-release would do good buisness. I also was about the age of 9 when this came out and it is hard for me to believe that it has been over HALF of my life since JP came out. Of course, that isn't saying much...

I also agree that the dinosaurs in JP look better than 90% of all CG done in movies today. I'd say it was Dennis Muren, but it even bests some of his later work.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd pay to see JP in a theater again. In a heart beat. It was one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had. I doubt they'll do that. Like a very select few films, JP will ALWAYS be better in a theater than it will at home :D

And I'd love to go again!

Take care,
Chuck

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
My theatrical viewing was quite memorable. Two lady friends of mine sat on either side of me and kept screaming and grabbing me throughout the film. :D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
the last great Spielberg movie except for Schindler's List
Did you see Catch Me If You Can? I loved it. :)

I wasn't a huge fan of JP... I mean, the dinosaurs were great, and there were a couple of stellar set pieces (I recall the T-Rex chasing the Jeep and the kids in the kitchen hiding from the raptor quite vividly), but I felt that the film lacked a bit of humanity.

Actually, I haven't watched the film since opening day in the theatre, and recently I've ended up with multiple copies of the LD, so maybe I'll have to give it a spin to mark the anniversary.

It's a testament to how good those scenes I mentioned are that they've stuck in my head so vividly after one viewing a decade ago.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
A Re-release on DVD would be nice. FULL BIT RATE would be evan better 1509kps all the way.

Oh BTW I love this movie. saw it 3 time in the theater bought it on VHS then VHS(WIDECREEN) then on DVD(dts) then again on DVD(dts fixed)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's nice to go down memory lane every so often even if it has only been 10 years. Great thread by the way! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks