What's new

Judd Apatow mentions "Freaks and Geeks" possibly coming to DVD in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The $120 SRP is a bit steep, but still less than Star Trek and X-Files, so it's in the acceptable range. I'll get it.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Am I correct in guessing that the company referred to in Paul's post is Shout Factory?
That would be my guess. Makes sense since SCTV, which is being released by Shout, was apparently being discussed at Rhino prior to Richard Foos' departure, as was Freaks and Geeks. I cannot wait to see what other TV on DVD product Shout has up its sleeve.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Funny how in this thread, $120 is okay for F&G. But in the Battlestar Galactica thread, a significant number of people say it's too much.
I guess it's all in what you like! :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
How many episodes will this set include? If it is for a complete 22 episode season, that's not too bad. Although, Due South is available for around $60 for 22 episodes.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Funny how in this thread, $120 is okay for F&G.
I would pay a sickening amount of money for Freaks and Geeks. Although I'd prefer not to :D, if the series were to be released with a single episode on each disc at $15 or $20 a pop, I'd plunk down my credit card without blinking an eye. I can't say that about any other television show I've ever watched.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Hey David, are you or Gord going to post a news item over at TVShowsOnDVD.com? I'm sure there are some folks that don't frequent the F&G site that would love to hear the the latest news.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steve, Gord is handling all things F&G at the site for the most part. I know he posted that news item after getting distracted for a couple of days on some non-site stuff. I bet it was right after you mentioned it, too. :D

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Firstly, and not so importantly, 27,085 signed up so far.
Secondly, and much more important, Judd Apatow has posted a list of the extras they are trying to get onto the DVD.
Here are some items we are trying to get on the DVD.
*Cast auditions. Paul and I wrote original scenes for some of the auditons which are pretty funny. Freak monologues. Geek monologues. We also have people auditioning for parts they didn't get. Linda auditioning for Kim Kelly. Busy auditioning for Lindsay etc.
*We are trying to clear our evening at the Museum of TV and Radio in Los Angeles. It is sad but hilarious at times.
*Promos. Some of the original promos were like short sketches.
*Rehearsal footage. Backstage footage. This is stuff we shot ourselves. We have forty tapes of it. Now we just have to watch it.
*Deleted scenes. We have a bunch of funny scenes which have only been seen on the web site. Kim Kelly asking Sam to kiss her from the pilot. Sam at the nurse's office.
*Bloopers. We have plenty of those. And we want to put raw dailies (footage from shooting) on the tape so you can see how we worked.
*We are also considering putting photographs and scripts on the DVD if possible.
We are open to any other ideas. We might even try to put the long version of our first episode on there. We are very excited about this. Hope you are too.
Sound like some good material. Linda Cardellini as Kim Kelly? That just sounds wrong.

JohnAP

Second Unit
If $120 is what it costs to get F&G on dvd, then I'll pay and it looks like a lot of others will to. It looks like they're putting the same care into this as they did the series and asking fans to pay a couple bucks more is a much better compromise than replacing the music. Plus, it'll be on sale when released, so I anticipate most of us being able to get it for around $100 at Walmart or somewhere.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Over in the F&G message board, someone posted this article about Paul Feig's new show.
Anyway, the article at one point says:
Feig felt "Freaks and Geeks" never got its due, despite winning critical acclaim. However, it has gained cult popularity, and episodes will be released on DVD in March, complete with deleted scenes.
Now, they don't specify where the article came from, just that it's date in print was "Thurs., Aug. 7, 2003, Los Angeles" - so I don't know how reliable this is, but if it is true, the disc date may be later than we expected.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Variety? Okay - so it's probably pretty reliable. Especially given the fact that it seems to have from Paul Feig himself.

I was surprised by the comment about it being March - i thought there was something about it coming out before Christmas. But that doesn't matter - too much stuff being released in the coming months anyway. If F&G is delayed until next year, it would really help.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
YOu make a good point about delaying it until March, but what else is going to be coming out that month?

Sorry, about that, but this is why I'd like to know what studios have planned well in advance, so I can plan well in advance too!

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks