What's new

Journeyman - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Pretty good. I'm glad the wife found out in the end rather than dragging that out. One thing that was odd, I just saw a PBS special about a woman who was struck by lightning three times and finally moved to San Francisco because lightning is very rare there. But here, both rain scenes featured thunder and lightning. Gaff, or was I mislead about the rarity of SF lightning?

Strange that this guy followed Heroes, because he looked like David Anders to me all night.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

The ending., it was left open for continuation but it left me empty. Any hoot, thought Journey Man was quite good. Some observations, first his ex-girlfriend is hot and when she took her clothes off I felt for him. The twist about the ex being a Journey woman that's a nice edition. I can see why his brother is pissed off with him, good story line I thought especially for a pilot.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That scene in the restaurant was New Year's Eve 1997, when the kid was 7 years old. I'm still trying to figure out what Livia's role is in all of this. I hope that is explained very soon. Overall, I liked the first episode. I, too, was a huge fan of Quantum Leap.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

Yes, and I like Kevin Mckidd but to me it sounds like he's struggling to sound american. I don't know why they couldn't have let him speak in his natural accent. Is it so inconceivable to the american viewership that a scottish man moved to america and married an american woman?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Maybe his accent in Rome was not his also I have'nt heard him speak in his natural voice, but surely what was there in rome was fine

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I caught most of the first half hour of this last night before tuning out to see The War. Maybe someone can spoilerize the ending for me.

I also thought it felt like Quantum Leap. Of course I missed the second half, so I don't know what's going on! It was interesting up till then.

Regarding San Francisco, I live in the SF Bay Area, down in the Peninsula. There are rare lightening storms that have occurred. One night it was so bright and loud that it lit up the inside of the house! But that was once. Also found the CGI so fake cause the view of SF from his house looked fake, well done, but there isn't a view like that. Same with the top of the Golden Gate Bridge seen from the supposed Golden Gate Park. It was well done CGI though!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's what I thought as well, very similar build and face. The way he blindly interferes with fate is extraordinarily similar as well. The difference is, the rules of Johnny's ability are clearly defined, where as the Journeyman script just popped him to whatever time and place it required him.

The only "holy shit, that got my attention" moment for me was when his dead girlfriend turned out not only to be alive but suffering from a similar affliction.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I liked the show enough to tune in next week. Not as dreadful as critics say.
It is like a cross between Quantum Leap and The 4400.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, it was OK. I'll give it a few more episodes, but it felt like a mid-season, mediocre episode, and not a season opener.

1) As Adam said so well,
2) Why do I care? Saving some random dude from killing his wife, so his son could later be a random hero? Didn't really do anything for me.

3) Time-traveling around SF in the past 20 years is not the interesting. San Francisco today looks like SF 10 years ago looks like SF 20 years ago. I enjoyed the Less than Zero billboard, and the 90s period music (which is still on the radio so it didn't really scream "90s!" to me, and the Michael Jackson jacket. But it's not a broad palette with which to paint time travel.

4) There's no rules. It's just a bit too abstract to pull me in.

On the plus side
1) I like the reality to it. When JourneyMan is pulled, his world continues. His car crashes, nearly killing people.

2) The soap opera of characters. He's married to his brother's ex, and she was inlove with him when he was married to his first love, who's dead but really is a time traveler.

3) Unlike Quantum Leap, this is full time travel; he can encounter himself and screw up his own life.

An enjoyable show. But it was lacking a significant degree of dramatic oomph. I think it will be gone mid season.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I don't think so, the show has potential, the only thing that would stop the show from going a full season is if each problem that needed to be fixed is a lame and pedestrian situation. Now preventing a man from killing himself, then convincing the wife to have children, then finally preventing the same husband from killing his wife and son I have to admit was a bit much and it lacked some significance, but still interesting. Maybe some major disasters needed here to really build a huge story.

RickGr

Second Unit
It did worse in the overnights than Studio 60 did last year in its premier plus (and this is the thing execs look at) it lost viewers in the last half hour so many tuned out, never a good sign.
Hope it lasts for those who enjoyed it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked it, but I didn't like having four shows to watch yesterday and won't cry if I'm back down to just Heroes and Prison Break.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Quantum Leap lasted forever. This is pretty much the same idea but with a higher quality feel to the production. I think it could do well, just depends what runs against it on other networks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Currently, it seems neither audiences nor studios have patience for "potential". And if the pilot episode -- the one critical opportunity to get your audience -- starts with a "lame and pedestrian situation", then I have concerns about the show's vision.

I want to love it; I want a time-travel show worth marveling at. Journeyman is decent, and it follows Heroes so I'll stick with it for a while longer. But if it were any other night, I'd probably stop watching.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have a sure fire way to insure the success of Journeyman. Do Crossovers with Heroes. NBC Has Precedent to do crossovers with L&O

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone else find the music intrusive. This may be the norm, among shows that I am not watching, but the music is drowning out the dialogue in some of the scenes, and I am finding it a bit annoying. It seems like they are trying very hard to increase the tension in scenes, by blaring frantic music, rather than relying on good acting and dialogue.

I have to agree with Patrick here. I liked the pilot, but can see that this one may fall due to the 'general public' just not getting into it. While I can see this being a great show, I don't want to get hooked and have it pulled mid-season and not have any resolution. As I like to call it: Reunion Syndrome

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I don't know, this show didn't draw me in the same way that Quantum Leap does. Quantum Leap had a really clearly stated purpose, right from the beginning "his mission: to put things right that once went wrong". This is the same concept but it's so murky and it's like they've went to Quantum Leap in the death throws by throwing in a "evil leaper" type person right off the bat in his girlfriend (and no, I'm not saying she's evil, just saying it has that feel).

Having him bounce back and forth to the present comes off as contrived also.. that's the thing that Quantum Leap effectively avoided by having him trapped in the past and just jumping from event to event.

I don't know, it's not a bad concept, but it's going to be harder to get into / buy in... we'll see. It has a great lead in, with an audience that should go for it.. and that's what will really hurt if it doesn't go over. Because if it can't hold those SciFi viewers, it's got problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks