What's new

Joseph Barbera (1911-2006) RIP (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
"Joe Barbera, half of the Hanna-Barbera animation team that produced such beloved cartoon characters as Tom and Jerry, Yogi Bear and the Flintstones, died Monday, a Warner Bros. spokesman said. He was 95.

Barbera died of natural causes at his home with his wife Sheila at his side, Warner Bros. spokesman Gary Miereanu said.
"

I don't think anyone had a more profound impact on my childhood than William Hanna & Joseph Barbera except for maybe Jim Henson. Their shows gave me endless hours of entertainment that still entertain me to this day and for a long time into the future. Scooby-dooby-doo!

RIP, Mr. Barbera. :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I grew up watching H-B cartoons, part of what made Saturday mornings so great in the 80's and early 90's.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
RIP Mr. Barbera.

There are SO many things the cartoons you and Mr. Hannah created that were a real source of joy for me!

When facing a confusing situation, I still remember, (though I haven't seen the 'toons in such a long time!) the line from the Quick Draw McGraw cartoon about being "perpluxed and pezzled." Explaining that to friends gets a LOT of laughs, and a lot of discussions about the good old days of cartoons.

I have a friend who is losing his father by inches to Alzheimer's, and my friend's feelings of loyalty to his dad are summed up best by Augie Doggie's line about "my only-est father."

I still laugh hysterically at the Tom and Jerry cartoon, The Flying Cat - it was the expression on Jerry's face as he is trying to convey to his canary buddy that Tom is ACTUALLY flying. Actually, I always loved how expressive Tom and Jerry both were, and I understand that it was based on the facial expressions of you and Mr. Hannah acting out the scenes to help the animators.

About the only thing I dislike about the Tom and Jerry cartoons these days are the deletions of the scenes of the African American lady of the house - call me dumb, but since there were never ANY depictions of white home owners giving her orders to keep house, I was ALWAYS, even as a young girl, convinced that she owned that house, and was just a neat freak like my Aunt Gloria. For years, I thought Hannah-Barbera were WAY ahead of their time in depicting a minority woman as the owner of her own house, setting her own rules, in a time when even white women were not depicted as queens of their own domains.

Again, Mr. Barbera, Rest in Peace - you were one in a million!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I think it had more to do with the fact that she mis-spelled "out", spelling it "O-W-T". I was talking with one African-American woman, and she resented the cartoon because of that, thinking it was racist.

I also remember Fred Flintstone spelling it wrong as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks