What's new

Jon Stewart to host 2006 Academy Awards (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Yahoo! News

I think this is an excellent move, as long as his Daily Show writers have input to the opening, and not Bruce Vilanch, no disrespect intended. This way, Stewart's sharp timing would be optimized.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
In a year full of PC noms (most likely), he is a great choice. I hope they let him go wild.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I love this classic Jon Stewart comment, "...as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can't help but be a little disappointed with the choice".

As for the old ladies, I doubt they'll find such a nice, pleasant young man objectionable in the least.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't know why Stewart didn't occur to me as an option as others were bowing out or being rejected. It's a natural choice given his popularity right now. I'm looking forward to the show!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The only thing I worry about is Stewart trying a lot of his political "schtick" from The Daily Show during the Oscars broadcast. If it sticks to discussing just the entertainment industry in general, he'll do okay.

I do miss Billy Crystal--he was always sharp and funny at his peak. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, to me it feels like being the third or fourth choice of a good looking girl in high school for the prom. Sure, it'll be great, but there were still others she wanted before you...and John Stewart doesn't seem Hollwood enough to me.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I think this isn't a bad choice. Better then have Billy Crystal singing showtunes AGAIN.

Did you guys know that Jude Law fired his agent after Chris Rock's comments last year? How vain. :frowning:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It seems that "successful" Oscar hosts must perform this sad little sentimental ruse, all nostalgic and misty eyed as though the tinsel-draped crap they manufacture has any meaning beyond the bottom line. All that fake chumminess, sanctimonious bullshit, and assorted ass-kissing. Wretched.

I recall that even a neutered Chris Rock was criticized for being a smidge less obsequeous than is required for the gig. And Letterman? Thankfully, by then it was the late-era, already irrelevant Letterman.

Ah well... there's always the hope that I'll open the paper the next day and find something equivalent to a "Crossfire" moment occurred. Seems very doubtful.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
jon will do fine. tom shales from the Washington post will hate him because hes not Carson and tom cant think outside the box i'm still pissed at the comments tom made about dick Clark on Monday.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks