What's new

Joined the gym (1 Viewer)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Just because you do not see a lot of results doesn't meen that you are not getting any benefits. The reason to work out is for overall health. Don't forget too that diet is just as....actually to me more..... important. Stick with it....you will start to see the results. It also sounds like you may be a good candidate for a home fitness machine. What a good friend of mine did was take an adult ed course on health/fitness and then got the machine that best suited him. Good luck.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

I'm with John on this one. It depends on the individual. I was a gym member in my youth, but as time marched on, my needs and lifestyle changed. Responsibilities grew, my family grew, time shrank. Going to the gym became, for lack of a better term, inconvenient, and as a result, my trips to workout became less and less frequent until finally, I stopped going. Three years ago, I decided that I wanted to return to the level of fitness that I was accustomed to. My lifestyle hadn't changed, if anything, life was even busier. I knew that a gym membership would not work...been there, done that. Hence, the birth of my home gym. Three years later, every piece of equipment is still being used on a regular basis and I can structure my workouts to better fit my schedule. So working out at home works for me. The only time that I've not worked out in the past three years that I've had my home gym were times when I had an injury, and continuing to work out would only have hurt and not helped me.

To each his/her own...again, bottom line is that you're doing what you've set out to do...where and when you can get your exercise in becomes irrelevant as long as you have fun doing it, keep it fresh, and you stay focused. Now hit the deck and give me 20. ;)

Tim L

Second Unit
Nice Titan setup John,its funny I also frequent your johnstonefitness forum as well-alot of good info there as well (its good to have more than one hobby-even though they both can be pretty pricey). I currently just remodeled my garage into a gym-picked up some nice powertech and bodysolid-tuffstuff equipment. I wanted to go with bodymasters or paramont-but the prices were way out there. I did enjoy working out in professional gym settings- but there is nothing like having the convience of doing it at home (even though I have to get up at 5:00am to do it). :frowning:
Tim

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Do any of you guys use Creatine with your workouts?

I usually bring a water bottle mixed with creatine (fruit punch flavor) and drink it as I workout (treadmill and then free weights). And then post-workout I drink a protein drink (EatSmart brand).

I'm 6' 190 lbs and most people think I'm too skinny. But I like to look lean and fit instead of bulky.

My main area of concern at 46 years old is my waist and chest. So I do alot of bench presses and ab crunches.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I'm 22 and joined a gym about a year ago. I attend a YMCA for $20 a month. No personal trainer, but it includes everything you would want in a gym.

I've never thought it was a big deal going to a gym to workout, I've never experienced the whole meathead/narcisistic thing either. It seems like everyone helps each other out where I am, encouraging one-another to keep going for that extra rep.

As far as personal training goes, you know your body the best. Personal Trainers, in my opinion, are best at showing you how do to certain workouts, which ones work certain body parts, and show you how to keep from hurting yourself.

Try an develop your own routine, and good luck.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the tips and positive comments guys.

I plan to develop my own routine. I want to get through these 5 weeks with the trainer and then take it from there. I've got a semi-routine down and will refine that over these next several weeks.

It was suggested to do the cardio workout after the free weights but I actually prefer the opposite. The cardio is a great warm up before the weight lifting.

This is no New Year's resolution. I actually started walking and using 10 lb. dumbbells around the house back in late October, the gym was just the next logical step towards a better workout.

That, John, is a great home gym.:emoji_thumbsup:

Neal_C

Second Unit
I actually prefer to do my cardio before weights as well. Doing cardio after weights is normally considered "muscle suicide". It is important to get some quality protein in your system after lifting weights and if you do cardio after weights, you can't get in your PWO meal or shake during the window of opportunity.

Of course, your lifting does suffer a little bit doing cardio first, so I guess it is a catch 22.

John Stone

Supporting Actor

No, my schedule is a little more cardio-centric when I'm cutting: I lift 4 days per week and do cardio 7 days per week. I separate cardio and weight training sessions by 9-10 hours.

Monday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic)
Tuesday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic)
Wednesday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); Weight training: chest & Abs (PM)
Thursday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); Weight training: back, & traps (PM)
Friday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic)
Saturday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); Weight training: quads, calves, hamstrings, glutes (PM)
Sunday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); Weight training: delts & arms (PM)

I start cutting in 11 days. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
John bro, any reason you opted for stationnary bike over running for aerobic?

Thanks.

--
H

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Last year, we invested in a Nordic Trak treadmill, one of the nicer models. I have always been a small guy height wise, 5'8" and was 145lbs out of high school. Ten years later I found my self at 190 and wanted to trim down in the 170's and run a 10 mile race here in Flint. I was up to about 5 miles a day and down to 173lbs then I tore my ACL and had reconstructive surgery in September.

My question is two fold. First, does anyone have any experience with running post acl surgery. I had the recon done in Sept. and just started running this week and am still in rehab and I can barely walk afterwords for the rest of the day.

Second, will I get the same cardio results with a stationary bike as I do with running? I really enjoyed the sense of accomplishment when I hit the 5 mile mark especially.

Since surgery I have been pretty dormant physically and have gotten back up to 195lbs. and really want to get going again.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
When I tore my ACL it took over a year to really be able to do anything. I would suggest not running but biking for now. I still bike. It's not as good as running but a lot better on the knees.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well my PT has me running, and says its a good thing. This is a top of the line therapy company. Did you have a patella tendon or a hammy or a cadavar? That also makes a difference in recovery time.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Cadavar. I wanted to go the route of only having to rehab one injury. I also had a partial tear of the MCL and a good size chunk of medial meniscus at the same time. Needless to say it was not a fun time.

Just make sure you wear your brace when your supposed to.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

Brandon,

I had reconstructive ACL knee surgery on my right knee in 1995. I went with my own (autologous) patella tendon. The rehab was brutal, but here I am 10+ years later, still active as I possibly can. I run on a treadmill approximately 3-4 times per week @ 3+ miles, 30-minute sessions. I try to keep my outdoor running to a minimum and prefer biking if possible. I have a pretty decent leg routine that is part of my weekly weight training schedule as well, which includes a variety of legs exercises that would put some stress on my knees such as squats, lunges, and step-ups. I've been able to squat up to 235-lbs. That's about the max that I'll attempt. I also stay away from heavy weight when doing leg extensions. I like to have strong legs but not at the expense of potentially blowing out my knee. A powerlifter I'm not, nor do I aspire to be one. Like yourself, I'm a small guy, 5'6" @ 145-lbs.

No answer for your second question since I haven't used a stationary bike post-ACL op.

Long story short, the key to full use of your knee is to ease back into routine and normal activity. Don't get discouraged and don't forego your rehab. Becoming dormant and putting on weight is the last thing that you want to do. You have a "new" knee...use it. I don't know all the circumstances, but you made a decision to have the knee-op for a reason knowing fully that rehab was going to be necessary, right? If anything, a path to unwanted weight gain is probably counter-productive to your knee-op. Think about it...no activity=weight gain (usually fat)=more unnecessary stress on your knee.

That's alot of pounding on your knee for having recon-surgery as recent as September 05. Your PT recommends it, huh? Man, they can be brutal. If that's the case, then personally, I would do my running on a treadmill and not on pavement. Or perhaps, you can run at an indoor rubber track, or something equivalent and less harsh on your knees.

Keep up the good progress with your knee. Good luck.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, as a small update 5 months later, I have lost just over 20 lbs and am now down to 165. I feel better, look better and have more energy. My diet changed over these past months to include much lower in fat meats, more veggies and only baked chips and the like.

I've been going anywhere from 3 to 4 times per week. Monday nights I do a Body Pump class which is aerobics combined with free weights for an hour. Tuesday I do a Spinning class which is bike riding for an hour and the other days I do treadmill walks and weight machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks