What's new

Johnny Cash Dies (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I saw Johnny Cash's Hurt music video some time before MTV Music Video Awards and wow, that was one very powerful piece that effectively sums up his life and amazing musical career. :emoji_thumbsup:

I really hope that at the public memorial service for Cash they play this music video--an extremely fitting epitaph for one of the most influential musicians of the 20th Century, period.

Farwell to the Man in Black--you've done us all proud.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Just noticed that the John Ritter thread has 95 posts and 1800 views. This one somewhat less.
I may be too old for the room.
Well, it's probably apples and oranges. Ritter's death was an unexpected shock.

Jim

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Well I will be sad for both. John Ritter & Johnny Cash.

Farewell Guy's thanks for your contributions to our time.
I will rejoice in the happiness you have brought millions.

sincerely

Anthony

MatS

Screenwriter
So far no one has mentioned that his wife, June Carter Cash died about four months ago. Since a couple of you have indicated that you were not particularly into this type of music, it is worth noting that she was a star in her own right, going back to performing with her mother, Maybelle Carter, who in turn was the lead guitarist of the Carter Family, a seminal group of the 30s & 40s. Maybelle was the originator of a style of playing that was characterized by the melody being ;picked on the bass strings while the chords were being strummed.
sure enough June's final record (much of it with Johnny) was released this last week

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Saw Springsteen last night in Chapel Hill, NC. He opened with "I Walk the Line." Incredible. 'Nuff said.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't already I highly recommend buying At Madison Square Garden, recorded a few months after San Quentin was released (there's a great reference to it during A Boy Named Sue). An incredible live album with Johnny backed by Carl Perkins, The Statler Brothers, and the Carter Family (minus June who was pregnant).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It's nice to imagine that he & June are rejoined somewhere, forever young.
O.K. I'm gonna tell you a friend's Cash story. It's a good one!

Back in the 50's at a Major South Central Texas Country Station a DJ walks into the record library and sees a Sun 45 in the trash. It's Cry, Cry, Cry b/w Hey Porter. The librarian opines that's its, "No good" so she threw it away. My friend takes, auditions it, likes it, and plays it on the air.
Time passes and a little known Johnny Cash visits the station. DJ gets an intercom call in the studio, "Some guy here to see you."
"I'm on the air, who is it?"
"Says his name is Johnny Cash."
"Well, send him back."
They trade songs in an on air interview for a couple of hours.
Cash is the most rattled guest he has ever incountered, "He was so nervous he made me nervous."
1958 comes and the station sends my friend to the DJ convention in Nashville. Cash is now a star and surrounded by fans seeking autographs and photos.
Johnny spots our DJ in the crowd and shouts, "See that guy? That's the first person to ever interview me on the radio."

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Glad we were fortunate enough to get Hurt before he left. Powerful stuff.

On a side note, I read that he met with Resnor after he made the video for Hurt. Not much was said, but after Cash left the room, Resnor/Nine Inch Nails was heard to have said: "That's Johny's song."

R.I.P.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I'm embarrassed to say I have no Johnny Cash CDs, but would like to get some. Are there any good boxed sets of his best material?

Thanks.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Brian,

There are couple of very good boxsets that I would recommend. I would start with.
"The Essential Johnny Cash - 1955-1983"
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Aoyd2vwvva92k

or

If you're looking for a real good primer that's cheap and easy. Either of the fully remastered and unedited prison concerts from the lates 60's would be great. These are two of the best live albums of all time.

"At Folsom Prison"
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Ad2kcikp6bbc9

"At San Quentin"
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Avk2vadskt8wo

Then you can move into other collections and the newer "American Recordings I-IV" albums.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Essential Johnny Cash 1955–83 is a 3 CD set containing most of his big hits. I would also suggest getting the classic At Folsom Prison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks