1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Johnny Cash Dies

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mark Romero, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Well-Known Member

A sad day in the world of music.

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Well-Known Member

http://robots.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/M...bit/index.html
    Back in 1976 Cash had a gig at the Circle Star Theater near San Francisco. Couldn't afford a ticket but I crashed the soundcheck and got to sit up close and watch him sing "Hey Porter." That was his first single and it was always my favorite of his tunes.
    It's nice to imagine that he & June are rejoined somewhere, forever young. He gave us so much over the years.
    Of the Million Dollar Quartet: Elvis, Carl Perkins, Cash and Jerry Lee, only Lewis survives.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Well-Known Member

What a sad day. When June died earlier this year, I couldn't help but think Johnny wouldn't be too far behind.

However, with all of the attention at the recent MTV awards, it seemed like he was doing better and I heard that he was working with Rick Rubin on his next album. I wonder if any tracks were completed, and whether they'll ever see the light of day?

R.I.P. Johnny

4. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

This is sad, sad news. I grew up listening to Johnny, thanks to my dad's love for his music. I'm off to fire up my Cash & Dylan Sessions CD.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Well-Known Member

I only started getting into Cash recently, having never really listened to any country music. It's easy to fall for his charm, humor, deep voice, and sense of compassion that pours through the records.

First Warren, then Cash. Sucks.

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Well-Known Member

rob
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Just within the last week, I had begun to listen to some of Cash's newer works.. including the surprisingly moving "Hurt" his rendition of a NiN song..

It is sad to see such an innovator go; it is good to know he left such a great body of work behind him.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Well-Known Member

Sucks. Never got into the country stuff, but I've been spinning "American Recordings" quite a bit the past few days...amazing, simple music.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Well-Known Member

Lee
    I was just at Media Play looking at his SACD Silver yesterday. I wish I had bouhgt it. He is going to be missed.

10. Runar_R

Runar_R Well-Known Member

The man in black has left us.
    A sad day indeed. To me at least he was one of the artist that really defined what 'country' music should be. Music with a message, rough and unpolished, played with integrity. A million miles away from Shania, LeAnn, Garth and everything else that's called 'country' at the moment.

Rest in Peace Johnny. You have certainly earned it.......

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Well-Known Member

I knew this was coming but it never really hit me. I'm speechless and in tears. There will be no other like him ever. For us younger fans that grew up with him, he was velvet comfort in dark times. He was a storyteller in good times. He was like a travelling father who would come home to tell amazing stories. There has never been a singer/songwriter that has meant more to me than you Mr. Cash. Today is a day of utter sorrow...
    RIP: Man in Black

12. Clint B

Clint B Well-Known Member

Not completely unexpected, but still shocking. Although I've always had a bit of a liking for Johnny Cash's music, I've only really begun to appreciate it over the last 10-15 years.

Johnny Cash, Warren Zevon, and John Ritter in the same week- [​IMG] RIP, Gentlemen

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace, Johnny.

14. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Well-Known Member

Another Johnny Cash track that younger (under 35, I guess) listeners may know is "The Wanderer" from U2's Zooropa album. Haunting.

RIP

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

They say these come in three's and so far it is true, Warren Zevon, Johnny Cash and John Ritter. R.I.P.

16. TomCW

TomCW Well-Known Member

Farewell, Mr. Cash and thank you.
    Tom

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

A keep a close watch on this heart of mine

So far no one has mentioned that his wife, June Carter Cash died about four months ago. Since a couple of you have indicated that you were not particularly into this type of music, it is worth noting that she was a star in her own right, going back to performing with her mother, Maybelle Carter, who in turn was the lead guitarist of the Carter Family, a seminal group of the 30s & 40s. Maybelle was the originator of a style of playing that was characterized by the melody being ;picked on the bass strings while the chords were being strummed.

Will the circle be unbroken?

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

The word great gets thrown around alot, but he was one of the few for which no one could deny the label. It's a shame too, just as he was starting to reach a whole new generation of listeners. RIP.[​IMG]

19. Tony-B

Tony-B Well-Known Member

So, the man in black, the legend, Johnny Cash, is no longer with us. That is really sad. [​IMG]

RIP Johnny. Your music will live on in all of us.

20. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Well-Known Member

Truly an original whose talents will be missed. They just don't make performers like him now of days.

J