What's new

John from Cincinnati - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

I know your post was tongue in cheek, but why is he going forward on one project before finishing another? I understand pitching it and having it on deck, but why the green light? I do not have an artistic bone in my body. I appreciate good writing, acting, etc., just don't have the natural creativity to do it myself. I think I will never understand artist types. All a bunch of flakes. :P The situation was in his control. I doubt HBO came out of the pitch meeting for JFC and said "we want it right away. Say good bye to Deadwood."

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I havent been watching this but came in here because my G/F just told me this show had been cancelled.

Carnivale
Deadwood
Lucky Louie (Didnt watch that one either but not the point)
Rome
John From Cincinnati

HBO cancels another show without finishing what they started. I thought the whole point was that when they started a show we wouldnt have to worry about it gettign cancelled like so many on network television do.

"The situation was in his control. I doubt HBO came out of the pitch meeting for JFC and said "we want it right away. Say good bye to Deadwood."

Milch said Deadwood would be 5 and then changed it to 4. Saying his involvement will end with 4. But the show can go on without him if they wanted(yea like that would happen).

However there is a quote out there from the old HBO CEO about not only budget but HBO wanting Milch to concentrate on on his new series JFC.
It may be on savedeadwood.net

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I didn't care for it, but there was also that Lisa Kudrow show that was canceled.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator

I thought about the exact same thing just yesterday. I have no opinion on JFC because it's not available on DVD yet (and since I live in Germany it's the only way I can watch it without dubbing), but since it's canceled now I won't bother.

The point is: HBO burned me for life when they killed off Carnivale. I believe I'll never forgive them for that and I have decided not to get invested in any new HBO show until it's been on for a while.

Looking at above list, HBO is quickly becoming the new FOX. Sure, FOX may have yanked even more shows, but they don't have those premium self-set standards that HBO h....used to have.

It's sad, actually.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

If Milch wanted to do Deadwood, all he would have to have said was "I'm not writing a thing for JFC til you let me do the last season of Deadwood." It got cancelled because he let it, no matter who was the first to say both couldn't go on simultaneously.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"If Milch wanted to do Deadwood, all he would have to have said was "I'm not writing a thing for JFC til you let me do the last season of Deadwood." It got cancelled because he let it, no matter who was the first to say both couldn't go on simultaneously."

I agree.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I felt pretty much the same way. Once Sopranos ended, I canned HBO. When they killed "Carnivale" I gave up all hope they would invest anything into any program of any real artistic merit after that.

They are looking for a "hit". Well, I hate to break it to them, but they are in a big dry spell.

Meanwhile, Showtime has at least been willing to stick with programming the last few years and harvest a few good ones:

Terror Cell (which is passing / interesting, not great, but has good moments)
Dexter (IMHO, best new series on any pay-cable network)

etc. Hell, even their "Behind the scenes" cheap productions are infinitely better (I'd take "Bullshit" over all of the HBO wanna-be programs, ala "Pimps" shows and "Taxi Cab" and other crap).

HBO hasn't invested in anything new that shows any real risk taking and has pushed out at times crap (see terrible comedies the last two years in attempts) and then when they try something, they don't stick with it at all (I didn't watch JFC, since I don't have HBO, but it doesn't surprise me at all they canned it after one season).

HBO needs to take a risk and ride it out rather then have a trigger finger. Moreso then broadcast or regular cable, HBO has incentive to stick out a drama.. the audience is paying for it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Hate to break it to you, but HBO is just as strong as ever right now. 'The Wire', which has probably been consistently the best show they've ever had on, will be back for a fifth season next year. 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' will also be back shortly and 'Entourage' is still going pretty strong...and 'Flight of the Conchords' might be the funniest show on TV right now. I agree with you on Carnivale and wish that was never canceled, but to say HBO has nothing to offer right now is ludicrous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks